Im Pd!!!

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
Re: I'm Pissed!!!

the same thong happened to me in dp county ks. i was on a geo cache hunt we was told it was marked ntp, but the owner said ok but dont mess with gate or buildings. the instructions said you may need a md have had rain that may cover box. so we went dint touch any thing strawboss came up to us and said those giger counters, nope we said he said stay here boss wants to talk to you .so we stayed thwe went back to car to put gear up the next thing we know here comes boss bosses dad and dp county sheriff .the first thing out of his mouth was yer f----in luck we didnt have any hunters here it would have ruined their hunt and cost me 10,000.00.holy crap i said in my head .he didnt give anyone permission and where did we find this geo cache, and what was there name we told him and he said the sob he thinks casue we let him get mushrooms after turkey season he can plan treasure hunts.long story short got a ticket to apper we got to keep our gear but he keot pushing it putting his finger in my face the officer told him to stop i asked thre times please i about chopped him in the throat .his dad was a old mder from my uncles club here in mo i thought that was gonna help.nope he made a example out of you missouri boys .i got charged with criminal tresspass and was looking at 6months to a year in jail and no more than a fine of 1,000 dollars. i asked what are the terms of criminal tresspass ks law book says criminal tp is when you are asked to leave and refuse i sadi hell we was told to stay put boss wanted to talk to us .judge said it dont matter you took guilty plea like your buddy did so here it goes 348.00 6 months good behavior and the charge will fall off of your record what pissed me off was the shriff and the land owner nether one showed up .i should have asked for a dismissal neither of the complaintents showed and the padidnt even show just sent a letter of charges and reconmendations .come to find out the judge didnt even like the guy he said he is a $$ and has always been a a$$ .so yup i stay out of ks with my mg unless i got written permission from the owner and it is signed with open dates except for hunting season .

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

Sorry that happened to you. RR tracks are private property, cannot metal detect there, atleast in Texas you can't. HH

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is kinda unreal to read all this, i lived in a small town in central minnesota, where the train tracks ran right behind our house. When i began detecting i found a hill of coins approx 21 feet from the center of the rr tracks. Was i trespassing? No, why you ask. The rr only owns 20 feet each side from CENTER of the track. I also used to walk these tracks 2 blocks to the store each day. never had a problem. This story reminds me of a cop with abit to much power under his badge. To me i would have asked for the cop to show me where and tell me why i was trespassing. where are the signs? if his reply was everyone knows that law, when in court pick one person and ask them if they knew that law, then another. would probably blow his case out. Also get a good lawyer. lol

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You couldn't have even been prosecuted here in this state.

Unless a property is specifically posted (public, railroad, or private), you cannot be charged with tresspassing. The exception is - if the owner asks you to leave and you refuse.

Beth

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With Twelve yrs Security experience, I take no offence to this. I am with ya 100% the "Confiscation" was nonsense!!! if he gave a tresspassing summons he had no right to take the Detector!!! Only if he was given a Detecting summons would this be anywhere near legal.

Even then all the cop would have had to do was take a photo of the detector and given it back. I can think of no reason to taker the detector. I have been in Police work for 15 years and can think of no reason to take the MD. And if the Cop wrote the ticket then the RR person who took the MD should be charged with theft. He has no authority to have taken it. Now the way I would have handled this is given the person a warning and let him go on his way.

aloldstuff

Greenie
Mar 31, 2011
You mentioned that the 1st officer who rode up on you stated that he was sick and tired of getting these calls. Did any other people get arrested by this office??? Are you a victim of discrimination? Perhaps you can play a card, race, religion.
Just my thoughts.....

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot speak for all Texans, but I am amazed at your story. How can that truly be? For the past few decades my friends and I have been using the tracks to get across or through territory all over central and west Texas. I have tracks behind me where people hike, detect, hunt or generally jog down a road that follows the tracks. There is some public land that is accessed by crossing a huge trestle out over the Nueces River. More than once we were caught halfway by a train. They waved at us as they went by. We have stopped to talk to road crews and the inspectors with the cool Union Pacific suburbans with the railroad wheels and tires. Nobody has ever said a word. Here in San Antonio there are tons of people that walk the tracks, walk the bridges, tag up cars and there would be no way of stopping them. And of course the famous let the air down in your tires and cruise the tracks is the favorite pastime of many a Texas country kid. I personally have run into Border Patrol, game wardens and local police out on the tracks looking for illegal immigrants. They are usually very nice and we would be carrying anything from shotguns for dove, fishing poles, metal detectors or beers. We never got harassed and I just assumed it was like that everywhere. So sorry for your problems. Hang in there. Either we're lucky or I still live in the wild west.

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Now I know to stay the hell away from the tracks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I cannot speak for all Texans, but I am amazed at your story. How can that truly be? For the past few decades my friends and I have been using the tracks to get across or through territory all over central and west Texas. I have tracks behind me where people hike, detect, hunt or generally jog down a road that follows the tracks. There is some public land that is accessed by crossing a huge trestle out over the Nueces River. More than once we were caught halfway by a train. They waved at us as they went by. We have stopped to talk to road crews and the inspectors with the cool Union Pacific suburbans with the railroad wheels and tires. Nobody has ever said a word. Here in San Antonio there are tons of people that walk the tracks, walk the bridges, tag up cars and there would be no way of stopping them. And of course the famous let the air down in your tires and cruise the tracks is the favorite pastime of many a Texas country kid. I personally have run into Border Patrol, game wardens and local police out on the tracks looking for illegal immigrants. They are usually very nice and we would be carrying anything from shotguns for dove, fishing poles, metal detectors or beers. We never got harassed and I just assumed it was like that everywhere. So sorry for your problems. Hang in there. Either we're lucky or I still live in the wild west.

Hey austin, I'm with you on this: In my city, we too have tracks that run right through town. And anyone can and does walk along the tracks, with no problem. So the whole flap about what happened to this guy, is an anomoly. The reality is, you will only be "ushered on" if you are causing a nuisance, trying to set up permanent camp thinking you can live there perhaps, or some such thing. What happened to this guy is an absolute exception, by an over-zealous cop. I mean, so too do you read occasional stories of a motorist being "roughed up" by an over-zealous cop, for nothing but a tail-light out!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you haven't been ran off or harassed* by railroad workers does not mean it isn't true. Rail roads are indeed private property and do not need to be fenced. Having work Telecom for over 39 years I can tell you they indeed are private property since companies I worked for were paying to use the private easements that runs on both sides of all railroads.

Fiber optics are buried on rail road easements and you can be arrested and fined for digging there if they want to press it. While fiber is suppose to be deep, erosion and other reasons cause it to be shallow. Hitting fiber optic cable can cost you tens of thousand of dollars in damages at a minimum, believe me I know. I have worked on fiber cuts where damages were in the hundreds of thousands and a few hit 6 digits so you better believe they will go after the guility party for the damages...l have seen it many times...

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through a training coarse for the railroad company I got hired for and unless you are an employee for the railroad you are not allowed on or near the track the cops will be called if you are. Just a heads up

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to MD a couple of parks that are next to a RR. The fences were knocked down in spots and I decided to MD around/on the tracks a couple of times. Only reason I stopped was to much iron and trash. I am going to count myself very lucky, I did not know I was breaking the law.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw a sign, said no trespassin
But on the other side, it did'n say nothin
That side was made for you and me.....Woody Guthrie "This Land Is Your Land", just one little verse from a guy who believed in people's rights.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just because you haven't been ran off or harassed* by railroad workers does not mean it isn't true. Rail roads are indeed private property and do not need to be fenced. Having work Telecom for over 39 years I can tell you they indeed are private property since companies I worked for were paying to use the private easements that runs on both sides of all railroads.

Fiber optics are buried on rail road easements and you can be arrested and fined for digging there if they want to press it. While fiber is suppose to be deep, erosion and other reasons cause it to be shallow. Hitting fiber optic cable can cost you tens of thousand of dollars in damages at a minimum, believe me I know. I have worked on fiber cuts where damages were in the hundreds of thousands and a few hit 6 digits so you better believe they will go after the guility party for the damages...l have seen it many times...

I think that Southern Pacific and the police here have a bit more to worry about than who is walking on their property. We Texans are a funny bunch and a few out there are downright crazy. We sort of do our own thing and we don't need no stinkin badges or permission either. It's live and let live. Mess with too many people out west here and the Zetas will leave your head by the side of the road. The idea is mind your own business and let people mind theirs. But then again, we're all becoming lovers, not fighters here including the cops and the railroad because our trains are overloaded going and coming to Mexico, our oil industry is booming again and jobs are plentiful. Rents are cheap, the weather is good, latinas are hot and tequila is cheap. Ah, like I care about the railroads...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just telling you a fact, you can be arrested and fined for digging on railroad property if they want to persue it, it doesn't matter what state your in, charges are brought by the railroad company unless you hit a hit a fiber optic cable and you will spend the rest of your life paying the damages........

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw a sign, said no trespassin
But on the other side, it did'n say nothin
That side was made for you and me.....Woody Guthrie "This Land Is Your Land", just one little verse from a guy who believed in people's rights.

Hate to spoil it, but that is just a song, private property is private property, and railroad tracks and the easement on both sides is private property in all 50 states.......

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I just watched a video on railway security they dnt mess around anymore

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just telling you a fact, you can be arrested and fined for digging on railroad property if they want to persue it, it doesn't matter what state your in, charges are brought by the railroad company unless you hit a hit a fiber optic cable and you will spend the rest of your life paying the damages........

Hate to spoil it, but that is just a song, private property is private property, and railroad tracks and the easement on both sides is private property in all 50 states.......

Wait a minute. You don't even live in our country. You live in Florida. I've been there. What area of Cuba were you from?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute. You don't even live in our country. You live in Florida. I've been there. What area of Cuba were you from?

Considering the fact I was born 64 years ago in Florida and raised here, my father was a tail gunner on B17 durring WWII, 5 of my uncles all born in Florida served in WWII, 2 in the Eastern Theater, 3 in the Pacific including one in the Phillippines who was captured on Corregidor and was a prisoner of war as well as my great great grand father served in the Confederate Army from Florida and I myself served as well durring Nam I highly recommend you watch your comments here........... I take offense to your statement.....

It would be to your advantage to read our rules........[url]http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php?pageid=rules[/URL]

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were warned.... Also advised to read our rules....

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a fiber splicer and yes,a cut can ....and will cost you tens of thousands of $$$$ depending what type of trunk you cut.
Because land is not posted or fenced doesnt mean jack,if it aint yours ts somebodies,and if you dont have permission you are a bottom feeder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread