cant find it to delete it.

you should never trespass

rory

Redtaill944

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x, yeah its old but it works great and it goes deep.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that this thread is been around for awhile but it pissed me off as well. I wish the the railroad cops would put as much effort into pursuing the little runts spray painting every railroad car out there, not to mention train trestle.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for the railroad and ur not allowes any where near the tracks. Every since 9-11 they are cracking down on people messing near tracks. We had to watch an hour long video on this stuff.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Or how about this one. Would anyone dare cross this?

Attachments

• 281334307942987886_bAN8RzLY_b.jpg
    281334307942987886_bAN8RzLY_b.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 321

chakra22

Oct 26, 2012
Columbus Michigan
Detector(s) used
Newbie --Researching for one now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya if you crossing under a bridge on the river bank--(b) Crossings. Nothing in this section shall apply to a person crossing the railroad right‑of‑way at a public or private crossing.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, but I'm curious what the resolution was.

Let me tell a little story. A recent one from my years in emergency services.

911 is called because somebody sees a bomb on the railroad tracks. We (as the county emergency responders) block the tracks and call the railroad.

Not 5 minutes later, in the middle of rural Wyoming, a railroad officer arrives. He walks over to the "bomb", looks at it for a bit, then picks it up and throws it in the back of his truck.He drives it a few hundred yards off the track, drops it on the ground and comes back to us.

When asked about disposal, he states that it is none of our concern and dismisses us. The device was on railroad property and nothing we could do about it.

Further digging revealed the power these officers have. First off, they are considered federal agents that can cross any state line or other boundary in the U.S. as long as they are on railroad property. Most are retired military and go through a background check and training academy that rival the FBI or CIA.

With a very few exceptions, they are exempt from most federal laws when it comes to radio (FCC), ATF, DOJ. If they want to detonate tons of explosives on their property, as long as it stays on their property, they can go nuts. They are given their own radio frequency allocation, unlike any other private industry, that is exempt from most of the laws that hinder others.

If you are on their property and they catch you, they can and will take darn near whatever action they feel is necessary. They are almost always heavily armed.

Do not EVER mess around on railroad property. If you catch a bull on a bad day, you will pay dearly. Is it stupid? Oh yes, but you have to look back at the railroad tycoons of the past. Extremely powerful men who could write their own laws. Then during the the course of evolution, railroads have been declared critical infrastructure by the DOD/FEMA/DHS. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.

WM

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Wyomingmedic, you paint a pretty bleak picture of the horrors that will befall someone who gets near RR tracks. But I'm sure you've been in small towns (heck, even big ones), where RR tracks go right through town, border businesses, etc... And people cross them, or walk along-side of them, all the time. In my city, for instance, the RR tracks go right through our "blighted" district (aka "chinatown" district). And there is a perpetual homeless persons's shanty town little tent-city there (near the rescue mission soup-kitchen district). And ........ no one seems to pay them mind. Nor somone walking down the tracks, etc...

I'm not saying that this necessarily means that if I called the RR and asked "Hi, can I walk along-side the tracks please?" that they'd say "sure, go ahead". Of course they'd be obligated to say "no". And perhaps even recite all types of stuff like you've listed here. But...... in actual practice ....... people walk along side tracks all the time.

Last edited:

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! So a guy jus walkin the tracks could be fined and/or arrested? I have walked the tracks at harpers ferry so many times. Even moved off of em while a train passed, Never knew that! I guess we learn by our mistakes, Unfortinately sometimes we don't even know we are making one!

I did the same thing as a boy for countless summers. I never knew I could get arrested.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I did the same thing as a boy for countless summers. I never knew I could get arrested.

I too walked down RR tracks as a kid, teen, etc.... Played and climbed on box cars, etc.. If we were too close to the RR station, we'd get a "scram", but ....... anywhere else ........ heck, the sidewalks and streets CROSS the RR tracks (with crossing arms, etc...). And .... gasp .... you can walk right across the RR tracks. I too never got arrested (say it isn't so, how can that be ???)

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I even spent hours on the rail road track near my grandparents throwing rocks from the rail road tracks into the nearby pond and watching them splash.

Even better than that.... I use to love it when they would dump freshly crumbled granite on the same tracks. If you carefully went through each rock you could sometime find gold on them.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't like how this went down but it is understandable. Being an ex-railroader their security is a whole other animal. They have their own police force authorized by the Federal Railroad Commission. On top of that, the railroads have all been on high alert for years as a potential target for terrorism.

It sounds like the guy was a jerk for taking the detector. I hope he issued a receipt. Without having witnessed the event and how the interactions occurred, it is hard to say how the guy perceived being provoked. Or, that old saying is true.... There is nothing worse than someone with a little bit of authority.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Joe hunters not scared of any rail road rent a cop

Oh ...... well golly-gee then....... are you trying to say you'd violate the md'rs code of ethics? It clearly states "I will know and abide by all laws". Haven't you seen that in the instruction manual of any detector you purchase for the last 30 yrs. or so?

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't scarred a you either Thomas besides just like our constitution amendments are sometimes a necessary evil.

Like if there's really cool stuff under the tressel .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are just angry pr . Ive had my share of idiots come up to me at parks and tell me i cant detect there even though there is no sign there . Sorry to hear (Fubar

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread