All Treasure Hunting

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ouch.... I made the mistake of soaking a cruddy penny (stinking/zinkin/linkn) in salt and vinegar solution. I wanted to see what happened if left in that juice over night! It was interesting to see the all of Lincoln's face become removable from the disk of zink...I also hydrogen peroxided a 1902 V nickel - ok I didn't kill it but I don't think it helped take the dirt off of it with out removing some of the woman's head on the front. disappointing finding something old (finally) and botching the clean up operation. I think for now on, I'm just going to use acetone (nail polish remover) and just fluffy Q-tips -only as both products aren't expensive for cleaning coins.

The don't clean coins mantra is something I'd go with if I could only find coins I can make a date out on and know it's worth something- I'd never hit a Merc 1916-D with a tooth brush, but when I find stuff that is crusty and trashed -well I don't' have much hope that they are going to be VF and be worth something (that's the only way I'd clean a coin, knowing it's worthless to begin with.)

anyhow man - keep the coin for yourself in your own collection, and enjoy it. just remind yourself before you do it again on your next find...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury it in your yard
Use it as a test coin

a few years down the line,
when dirt gets back in the creases,
you may be able to read it again

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That sucks. I usually clean indians in boiling peroxide (no running water at all or you'll wash the contrast away). Then rub in the details with my fingers. The oils in your fingers does a good job bringing out the details. All you need to do now is find another one so you won't make the same mistake.

-Swartzie

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in PA. You will find hundreds more over the next couple of years. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you really want to read a low contrast coin, cote it with iodine and light it with a match. Let it burn out then gently rub it with your finger. The high areas will wipe clean and the low areas will remain black. It can easily be wiped clean. This is an old jeweler's trick. Frank

OP
OP
kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
You live in PA. You will find hundreds more over the next couple of years. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
I agree with this!

OP
OP
kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting