Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm probably over thinking this...

So I am hunting an old ghost town this weekend, and I have been completely excited about it. This area is very old, and the potential for some great finds is high, but now I thinK I am over thinking this!!! I go back and forth on which coil to use... stock, sniper, stock sniper...sniper, stock, sniper... stock...lol

Right now I have the 8 in coil mounted and the 4 in in the backpack...but I want to get the most out of this hunt so I go back and forth about which one I should use............:BangHead::violent1::argue::sad1:

I imagine this is what a fighter goes through before a big fight. I know that I am prepared, and can switch styles at any time, yet I play the scenarios over and over in my head. I just want to get out there and get after it... see how it goes, put my training to the test, flow with the wind and just get after it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad use to say, while playing poker, "you think long, you think wrong." Just pick something and do it!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your going to have a nervous breakdown before you get there. Lol

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the 8 inch until you think you really need the smaller coil. It's not rocket-psychiatry.

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAHAHA, I know, Right? Thanks for the replies!!! Can>Not>Wait>To>Get>Out>There!!!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jason - use the 8" to start. You'll learn quickly if there's too much trash and a change to the smaller coil is in order.
luvsdux

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jason - use the 8" to start. You'll learn quickly if there's too much trash and a change to the smaller coil is in order.
luvsdux
Right on! Appreciate the input!

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say use the one you are most confident using. No need to worrying if you are missing good stuff because your not sure about the coil.

After giving that one a try, you can always change them out if you feel the need.

OP
OP
OZARKS

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say use the one you are most confident using. No need to worrying if you are missing good stuff because your not sure about the coil.

After giving that one a try, you can always change them out if you feel the need.

Good call, that's why I have it set up as it is now. I spose I can always change if I felt the need. Just very excited about this hunt and want to make the best of it! I'll probably use the larger coil until I get into an area with a bunch of good targets and then maybe switch. I guess I just need to get there and see how the conditions are and then adjust if need be!8-)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call, that's why I have it set up as it is now. I spose I can always change if I felt the need. Just very excited about this hunt and want to make the best of it! I'll probably use the larger coil until I get into an area with a bunch of good targets and then maybe switch. I guess I just need to get there and see how the conditions are and then adjust if need be!8-)

Just use the bigger coil until you survey the area. If there's a lot of junk targets that may mask good ones through on the sniper! Good luck!

Jeff B

Jan 9, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Ghost town sounds like a lot of fun. That would definitely be a great adventure. I agree starting with the 8 in. coil. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread