Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics Bill...besides the Telecaster, that HD Knucklehead would pay for many years of treasure hunting...

I have had my old HD Electraglide 12 miles from the nearest asphalt road in the AZ high desert on trails and what they say is true, parts fall off of them, when you treat them like a dirt bike...but it got me there and back!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadhse2, I like that name I even have a 64 Riviera like old Patrick Swayze drove in the movie!

But the Telecaster came later in 1952. That's an Acoustic Guitar. I'd love to have that old 45 Harley though. He had a bike shop in the 1960's and sold Harleys. It was called "Cycles a Go-Go".

Great pics Bill...besides the Telecaster, that HD Knucklehead would pay for many years of treasure hunting...

I have had my old HD Electraglide 12 miles from the nearest asphalt road in the AZ high desert on trails and what they say is true, parts fall off of them, when you treat them like a dirt bike...but it got me there and back!

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Roadhouse moniker refers to what the old blues bars were called in the south in the early days.....most do think of the movie though..

I owned a music store for several years "Roadhouse Music" and just kept the name for my email etc...

Yeah...saw the acoustic, just meant the Tele you showed earlier and the bike would pay for lot's of treasure hunting time at their values now...

axer

Greenie
Aug 26, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 and White's TM 808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently ran across a large, old saguaro that had all of its older arms wrapped around the center trunk horizontally. There were cracks in the skin on the outer curve where the curve was just too great. I've never seen this before and can't imagine what could have caused it other than a human who tied them in that position with rope. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I'm trying to attach a picture but not sure if it will work.

spec saguaro2.png

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy Cactus is an eye catcher. Look for the "Y's" in the ribs. If it has one that grows together with no separation in the "Y" take a compass bearing and look for the next marker or cactus.

I recently ran across a large, old saguaro that had all of its older arms wrapped around the center trunk horizontally. There were cracks in the skin on the outer curve where the curve was just too great. I've never seen this before and can't imagine what could have caused it other than a human who tied them in that position with rope. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I'm trying to attach a picture but not sure if it will work.

View attachment 1223017

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad's friend Mike Mantonin next to a wild looking saguaro with a heart cut into it.
Notice the arm on the ground left side.

View attachment 1223228

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Absolutely correct about topped Saguaros being used for two corners of a triangle. The North corner was usually a stone monument. Topped Saguaros were also used as trail markers. You get to one topped Saguaro, then start looking around for the next one. They were usually all on the same side of the trail.

LVBob,

Even today, Mexican Miners/Prospectors who know their old ways use Barrel Cacti as direction markers. If you go to the back side of Rich Hill (where nobody looks for gold), you will see in several places lines of Barrel Cacti. When they start to get old and are dying, they plant young Barrel Cacti right next to the dying ones. Nobody has ever (that I know of) caught them at it, but somebody is marking the direction to something there where nobody else is looking. If you ever go to Stanton/Rich Hill, ask around some of the old timers.

HINT: Also ask them about the light flashes at dusk. Very interesting. Here is a thread I started about it a while back:

LIGHT FLASHES

Mike

I remember my dad studying about Foxfire, is that similar?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose is correct. Foxfire is from (I believe) a fungus growing in dead wood that causes it to glow brightly. Sometimes bright enough to read by at night.

We have ideas, but no proof of what causes the different colors of light to flash from the areas of ore deposits.

Mike

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol,

I noticed Sunday on the way too Florence Junction that a certain distance from the main high way and parallel to the road about every few miles was a crazy cactus. I don't know if they used those things as long distance trail markers but evidence may be right there that they did about every league or so. I counted maybe seven or eight before I had to pay more attention to the road. Looks like they may lead the way to water or to the next Mission perhaps, I don't know. But if they are used as trail pointers and markers on long distances it's makes sense they would lead to other more remote areas associated with mining gold or treasures.

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol,

I noticed Sunday on the way too Florence Junction that a certain distance from the main high way and parallel to the road about every few miles was a crazy cactus. I don't know if they used those things as long distance trail markers but evidence may be right there that they did about every league or so. I counted maybe seven or eight before I had to pay more attention to the road. Looks like they may lead the way to water or to the next Mission perhaps, I don't know. But if they are used as trail pointers and markers on long distances it's makes sense they would lead to other more remote areas associated with mining gold or treasures.

I just now noticed your oct reply.
if it was a small saguaro when they planted it, how would they know it's going to be a crazy cactus?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They transplanted a regular saguaro I believe then grafted it, tied it into a twisted position and let it grow.

I just now noticed your oct reply.
if it was a small saguaro when they planted it, how would they know it's going to be a crazy cactus?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used hooped cacti for many different things. Here is one Jim Hatt sent me a video of, somewhere in Arizona:

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread