IM trying to decide on a Minelab/Etrac, or a GarrettATPRO? HELP!

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello all, Chris again, I posted a thread a week ago asking for guidance and I got alot of good feedback. Great feedback actually and I gleaned alot of perspective from all of your opinions and veiwpoints. So where I am now, is that I have been doing as much reading and research as possible on different brands, reviews, and just whatever I can find online. I am pretty much to the point that I feel like if I buy anything different than the minelab Etrac, I will wished I had an etrac, (or at least wonder-what if?) Until I actually traded up and got the etrac. I am looking for any and all feedback on the etrac, when compared to other, say upper mid-level machines... (not sure exactly what upper mid-level is, I'll call it 400-800 price range.) But hopefully you guys get the point. What would some of you well versed MD'ists say if a begginner (never MD'd) asked you if he/she should buy the AT PRO or the Etrac? Bear in mind, that I 100% know for a fact that I will love detecting-and never quit, I will also guarantee that I will learn "my machine" as good or better than any other veteran/expert MD'ists out there ever have. Just how I am, i know I will love it, and I know I will master it and be the best based on what Im workin with.

Some of the biggest reasons for my thoughts on just getting started with the etrac is that I read many reviews from total Newbies like myself who profess it can be used "out of the box" successfully, and as you become more familiarized w/your machine, your finds get better and better as you are mastering the machine. Also, I read countless reviews from people touting the "depth" that the etrac gives, and how over and over again, they got targets, and dug coins that they and others had passed over a million times before. Basically, ease of use, depth, efficiency (best discrimination).-especially in Iron strewn fields... (that is what I read anyways.)-any thoughts?

Am I missing anything? Can someone out there save me some money by helping me to rationalize buying a different machine to start out with? I just want some guidance from some many experts here. Thanks you guys, I cant wait to get started. I have already started to compile a list of places I am gonna "clean out". 1 in particular that I am extremely excited about. I cant imagine it being virgin territory, but I would be absolutely surprise if has been "pounded" to death too...

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of your thoughts and insight.

Chris.

Future MD'ing success story waiting to happen! - A huge one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Well... I just read more of these posts, and it seems that the more I read, the more excited I get. Which is crazy because I am 28----actually 29 (just monday, im not used to that yet, it still sounds weird to say). I am 29 and I cannot remember being this excited for anything in my life.. (relative to toys that is). I cannot compare this to the birth of my 2 yr old little boy, or my wife/wedding etc... But anyways, I paid for the etrac last night, it should be here in 4 or 5 days give or take.. I cannot wait. I just hope I can get enough of my work done between now and then so that my business doesnt sink to the ground while I dissappear for god knows how long "playin" in the dirt... I already have several places locked down. (mostly friends and family members-who live in very old homes). A few other places that I am just guessing would be interesting spots to dig, I have no idea how beaten and dug they could be, but I am thinking it could go either way.... Excited to find out and report on whether these places were hammered long ago, or gave up "what I may have been looking for" - that is my code word for anything that I cherish enough that the only way I can guarantee to keep it is to keep my mouth shut about it. Maybe im being paranoid, I just read some stuff about people who have lost their finds after the "publicity" of their finds attracted the attention of whoever might have the power to "take" these finds in the name of "protecting the interests of the people".

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
TheRocDoc, do not let metal detecting interfere with your family life. There are reports out there that indicate that this is a real threat.

Marvin Lee

Jun 6, 2011
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Tesoro U-Max / New MineLab Etrac / Garret Pro pointer
I only have one complaint using the Minelab-E-Trac. I need to buy a better shovel now! Amazing! :occasion18:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
Well... I just read more of these posts, and it seems that the more I read, the more excited I get. Which is crazy because I am 28----actually 29 (just monday, im not used to that yet, it still sounds weird to say). I am 29 and I cannot remember being this excited for anything in my life.. (relative to toys that is). I cannot compare this to the birth of my 2 yr old little boy, or my wife/wedding etc... But anyways, I paid for the etrac last night, it should be here in 4 or 5 days give or take.. I cannot wait. I just hope I can get enough of my work done between now and then so that my business doesnt sink to the ground while I dissappear for god knows how long "playin" in the dirt... I already have several places locked down. (mostly friends and family members-who live in very old homes). A few other places that I am just guessing would be interesting spots to dig, I have no idea how beaten and dug they could be, but I am thinking it could go either way.... Excited to find out and report on whether these places were hammered long ago, or gave up "what I may have been looking for" - that is my code word for anything that I cherish enough that the only way I can guarantee to keep it is to keep my mouth shut about it. Maybe im being paranoid, I just read some stuff about people who have lost their finds after the "publicity" of their finds attracted the attention of whoever might have the power to "take" these finds in the name of "protecting the interests of the people".
If I cant share my finds with anyone, Its worthless to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread