Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm waiting on my DDcoil

And while you are at it could someone tell me what difference a DD coil is supposed to make? I have read a lot about DD coils recently but no one has really explained the difference. Didn't mean to hijack your post diggit but perhaps the answer to my question will help? Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
And while you are at it could someone tell me what difference a DD coil is supposed to make? I have read a lot about DD coils recently but no one has really explained the difference. Didn't mean to hijack your post diggit but perhaps the answer to my question will help? Monty

"COVERAGE" the Signal on a DD coil enters the Ground lke this.

||
From Front to Back straight down.

a Regular Concentric like this

V

the Deeper the Signal the Less Coverage.

You Don't need to Overlap your swings as far with a DD Coil

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They should make ALL COILS DD coils, then we'd all be happy! I could've used the one that Diggit had, I have a GTAx 550, should fit.

Chris

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Which begs to ask.....Is this new technology or something that has been revived? I've seen a few posts that claim it isn't any better than a regular coil or it doesn't work as advertised.I'd like to see an indepth discussion from those with experience. Would perhaps benifit the whole forum? Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DD coils have been around for years.

Minelab uses them as stock coils on their Multi Frequency Detectors .

And Most Likely one or 2 other brands do also.

The Major problem with DD coils, that I'm aware of is Pinpointing.

I'm not sure if the Normal Pinpoint Process built into some detectors.

will work with the DD coil.

an Example would be some Whites, where you Press the button on the handle & detune over the object till you have a Small Blip directly over the object.

I don't think you can Detune a DD that way.

The best way to Pinpoint with DD's that I'v found is Swing Slowly Backing away till the Signal Dissapears, then Swing Forward til the Tip
of the coil Gets a Signal again. and Dig there.

OP
OP
D

diggit 65

Hey all
I have had my DD coil for a little while now and for those of you that want to know the difference . It is a little more sensative but It doesn't seem to go any deeper on coins. It likes bottle caps, I find a lot of them sence I have got the new coil. before it would disc them out. now it looks for them. but I have been turning up some rings that I think I would have missed before the DD is suposed to help in the higher mineralized areas too. the big diff is on larger objects I went to the beach this weekend and I kept chasing a beep to the left of me and it would dissapear when I would swing back over the area ??? .Come to find out it was the scoop I had in my left hand 2feet above the coil so I had to hold the scoop behind my back to keep from running around in circles ;D .The pinpointing is very different on it ,there three ways to do it, one is off the tip like Jeff said ,one is off of the heel just the oposite of what Jeff said and the other is to is to zero to the strongest signal and on the garrett there is a pinpoint spot marked for you .They all work well, the fastest way is the way that Jeff said .the other thing that I noticed is that my depth readings arent as accurate but they are still close .I had written to garrett about it and they said it was still a little new to them too ,don't know if it's cause it's an old detector with the new coil or if it's the old guy with the new toy .all in all I like the way it works .

Diggit 8)

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Has anone tried the SunRay DD coil for the Ace 250? How does it compare to the stock 9x12 coil?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I of course have noticed that the coil for my ACE 250 is not round but sort of oblong. Is that a DD coil or just a different shaped regular coil?Monty

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

A SunRay DD coil for the Ace 250 just sold on ebay but the listing claimed it was a 1 of a kind prototype so I guess SunRay never went into production on this coil. If a forum member bought it I think it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the Garrett factory coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread