Infinuim Any Comments??

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Well Dave, I doubt if my comments will be very helpfull as I do not live in Japan. I do live in south central Oregon and have heavy magnetic black sands mixed with alkali soils and the hottness of the soil changes every foot or so. It is probably the most difficult soil conditions you will find anywhere in the U.S. I bought an infinium in November of last year and of course with the snow and desert winter I just got out last month to use the infinium. I have great trouble ground balancing it and tried many suggested methods. Once i thought it was ground balanced I would start my search and when I swung the search coil to the right I would get high tone and then when I started moving the coil to the left I would get the low tone. I taped my coil lead straight up the shaft as suggested and still the same thing. I use the unit in the hip mount position and with the stock issued search coil. I found that in order to stop the falsing on my swings of the coil, I would have to crank the disc up to between 5 and 6. Then it would run smooth and stable but the only problem, I would lose about 60% of my depth and it would detect no deeper than my whites coin machine. I thought I might have a coil problem and I sent it back to garrett for a check up. When I get it back I will give it another try. I will still keep the detector as I may want to use it in the water some day nugget hunting and I feel it will still be useful to me. I think my next detector for around here on the old homesteads will be a whites dfx. Not because I think it is better than the garrett or any other brand. They are made here in Oregon and they are an excellent detector and the factory is only a 4 hour drive if I want to go chat with the engeneers or techs when I have a problem. Just my 2 cents and the garrett infinium may be an excellent detector for your area . I was very pleased with the quality of the machine. In fact, I guess I could say I was impressed. It is very well built and everything works as it should. Some people complain about the wobbly shaft but if you had a 20 pound search coil for water use tied to the end of your shaft it would wobble also. I found the little shaft wobble not to be a concern and I really like the unit over all. Like I said the ground in my area is some of the most difficult for a metal detector that there is in the U.S. Over all, I like the machine and I like garrett. So if you buy one I think you will be very pleased with it. Just remember it is not a vlf machine and is totally different in sound and its operation. It also will not disc like a vlf coin machine. It has very rudimentary disc. I hope this helps Dave but maybe not.

Willy

I have an Ifinium and had the same problems last year. Turned out it was a coil problem caused, most probably, by my having it hipmounted. The cable flexes and the foil shielding can degrade. This ocurred with the stock and 5x10" coils. Worked great with the other coils. Sent the control box with the 2 aformentioned coils in to Garrett and they replaced the coils and upgraded the control box (mono mods). I've got truly nasty ground up here in B.C. (Canada) and the Infinium runs smooth as butter. One thing I DON'T do is hipmount it. I find that having the control box under the armcuff counterweights the coil nicely. It swings very much like a Whites in this configuration. ..Willy.

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
update on infinium. I talked to garrett factory today and they said it had a bad coil and a bad capaciter in the control box so it is on its way. Should be here thursday and I will be out testing it on friday. I will post and let you know what or how it does. Later, buffalo earl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread