Im wondering if anyone has felt this way...about finds being phony?

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oneshot

Oct 20, 2012
West Caldwell New Jersey
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 70
WHITES COINMASTER CLASSIC III
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me

A couple of years ago I made a post concerning this. My brother and I introduced a friend to metal detecting. He seemed really excited and interested in it. My brother sold him a nice detector to replace the cheap one he was using. On the 1st or second hunt with us he started finding really nice stuff, silver out the ying yang, really good condition indian heads. We all just congratulated him and went on with our hunting.

The next week or so a co worker of both my brother and the guy who was detecting with us asked my brother "Hey did ***** show you those coins I sold him?" Turn out the coins that he sold him were the exact same ones he found while detecting with us.

Made me really wonder why someone would do something like that. Especially while hunting with us. We get excited when someone finds a simple wheat penny or some artifact like an old brass lantern piece.

So yeah I know people are out there who would do something like this. Would I call them out on it? In person I would. On a forum like this, no, this is not the place. They will have to live with themselves and the weird lies they tell. I can't imagine planting or faking a find to get praise or attention. It would feel hollow and miserable im guessing.

This reminded me of an old story about my friend's co-worker who must have gotten tired of guys talking about their upcoming whitetail deer hunts. He surprised my buddy by saying he was going upstate New York deer hunting for the first time. Great right? Then he "shot" a ten point buck first time out. Great! This was before digital cameras, and he said he brought it to the taxidermist. A few weeks later, he invited my buddy to his house to see the mount, a pretty quick turnaround for mounting, but, well, o.k. My buddy saw the deer and praised his co-worker for it, but he didn't have the heart to tell him that the mount was a mule deer.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't bother me if someone found something behind me I find stuff behind

Me all the time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pennyfarmer

I have also pulled coins right behind people, although I learned that is not nice.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by EmptyPockets

Why is it not nice?
They didn't find it and you did. It's part of the fun.

-Joanne

I never had a problem with following someone detecting,
Or Being followed by someone detecting.

What has Bothered me, is when someone tries to detect so close to me I have to
worry about Chatter & Bumping Coils. :(

I've not only had Newbies do this to me, Like they must think
I know the right spot to swing over & They want it First,
and I'm not talking Children.

And recently while at an Organized hunt, & They see me walking a straight Line,
they rush in Front of Me to detect it first.
I guess Greed counts :laughing7:

Last edited:

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes in a big field I have jokingly followed right behind someone who had never found any silver and I managed to pull a silver dime right in their wake. It was funny at first but after the chuckles died down I didn't like the look on her face. Felt real bad about it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes in a big field I have jokingly followed right behind someone who had never found any silver and I managed to pull a silver dime right in their wake. It was funny at first but after the chuckles died down I didn't like the look on her face. Felt real bad about it.

I fund Indians Behind a Newbie Once & by doing so,
Helped him Realize what Not to ignore .

WIN/WIN imo

I also found a $5.00 Gold piece passed up on by another because "it sounded like a deep can tab" to him

Last edited:

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know Patrick, that every time I find a pull tab now I will be saying $#$$%@!% that Patrick!

OK, OK, ok, I admit. I have been planting pull tabs all around the country.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of backing a fishing boat to an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The current had pulled us to within 50 ft. of another boat. Captain called over to us, "hey buddy,do you want me to bait your hook".
We had noticed they were doing well. LOL
I never had a problem with following someone detecting,
Or Being followed by someone detecting.

What has Bothered me, is when someone tries to detect so close to me I have to
worry about Chatter & Bumping Coils. :(

I've not only had Newbies do this to me, Like they must think
I know the right spot to swing over & They want it First,
and I'm not talking Children.

And recently while at an Organized hunt, & They see me walking a straight Line,
they rush in Front of Me to detect it first.
I guess Greed counts :laughing7:

Last edited:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of planting for my son also. I just don't know what to plant to keep the excitement but not go to far over the top.

I just think of planting my sons! Never mind things for them to find! Just plant them! LOL And to think, Mother's Day is just around the corner...

Anita

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I didn't disclose the whole story.

Others we both know said he found those same coins when hunting with them.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know its a dance. I met a detectorist in the park and did the whole "find anything good" routine. He had some good finds and I had a good find. When I showed my good find it was almost amazement that those targets are still there.

If someone shows me a 1800's coin from a park I am not amazed, its the 50's and 60's stuff that amazes me is still there. LOL

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is exactly why I chose not to post my gold 1913 Confederate V nickle autographed by Nathan Bedford Forest.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really doesn't bother me one bit. The person who posts fakes has to live with themselves.
Sure they might a get a high from all the attention, but it would be short lived and followed by some sort of depression.
It's really strange times these days with the internet. To me it's like a D&D role-playing video game.......
I've spent hours finding rare weapons, armour, and gold coins and when the game is shut off, I have nothing to show for.
If you post that you had a bowl of cornflakes on facebook and three people like your post, do the cornflakes taste better?
I rarely post my finds anymore because I don't need to. Many people have visited me and seen my stuff.
They've held these objects in their hands and marveled over it's history and beauty.
Hunting partners were right there when I found something good and we shared in the experience.
Most importantly, my finds do not become more special because a bunch of people on the internet said "Wow, nice find!"
My finds are meant to bring me happiness. That's why I do what I do.
One day when I write a book or open a small museum, then others can enjoy these finds as well.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy reading posts of people's finds and posting my finds too.
I just don't need to show off my stuff to make myself feel better about it.
If someone posts fakes they are only fooling themselves.
Cheers,
Dave.

That was beautiful....

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JunkShopFiddler said:
This is exactly why I chose not to post my gold 1913 Confederate V nickle autographed by Nathan Bedford Forest.

Very funny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions