Impact Fracture Tricked me :( - Thought it was a fluted Paleo

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was tricked there for a bit. I am pretty convinced now especially since the ripples in the flute channel are coming from the tip vs. the base, thus it is likely unintentionally caused from an impact fracture. Oh boy when that was pointed out to me I was a little upset lol.. Thought I had my first paleo but I don't think so now.

2020.01.01 - Broke 2.jpg 2020.01.01 - Broke 3.jpg 2020.01.01 - Broke 4.jpg 2020.01.01 - Broke1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are correct sir. Looks like some of the base was also taken off as it happened.

He must have hit something hard and missed the game. Sounds a lot like my hunting skills too ha ha

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I would have definitely been thinking the same thing .... definitely isn’t something you see very often , what if it was a unskilled / kid making his first Clovis lol .... wishful thinking

OP
OP
A

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I would have definitely been thinking the same thing .... definitely isn’t something you see very often , what if it was a unskilled / kid making his first Clovis lol .... wishful thinking

Ha ha I like where your head is at. I am going to think the same thing ha ha

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance, it would've definitely got me going! Blast, a classic Dreadstone.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is a cool looking point. I think you are correct about the impact fracture vs intentional flute. But there are some fluted points that were rebased, and the flute runs from the tip towards the base. (You see it occasionally on Folsom points.) The damage on the reverse side, and those ripples in the "flute" channel are good indicators of the impact.

Pete Bostrom has a cool page on impact damage with some great pictures.

Flaked Stone Projectile Point Impact Fractures.

OP
OP
A

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool looking point. I think you are correct about the impact fracture vs intentional flute. But there are some fluted points that were rebased, and the flute runs from the tip towards the base. (You see it occasionally on Folsom points.) The damage on the reverse side, and those ripples in the "flute" channel are good indicators of the impact.

Pete Bostrom has a cool page on impact damage with some great pictures.

Flaked Stone Projectile Point Impact Fractures.

That is very interesting thank you for sending.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Yep, it would have been a huge rush followed by a huge let down if I picked that point up.:laughing7: Still a cool find.

OP
OP
A

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha yep that was pretty much exactly how it went. I am recovering a little bit now ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread