Why do points change color after they are removed from the earth?

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
The title says it all. I am guessing it is some sort of oxidation process? I've found points that had material that quite literally resembles candy. Rice grain chert, greasy agate, coral etc.. These points will begin to fade out literally seconds to minutes from being moved.. I know some people oil their points. I'm just curious if anyone knows what exactly is happening, if there is a way to prevent it, or at least restore some of that "fresh from the ground" shine. Whenever I find a nice one, I'll cover it up in some dirt in a shovel I'm not using to try to preserve the fleeting beauty of it for just that much longer..

Thanks

Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
They begin to lose water and dry out, try putting them in water and the color should return.
Also I've heard of some people soaking theirs in oils to keep that look for longer time periods.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've soaked a few in mineral oil for a couple days and then wiped off the excess. They returned to what they looked like when I found them for several months or a year or so. Doesn't hurt the point either. It isn't like spraying with a lacquer. Try it out on some broken pieces and see if you like the results or not.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very interesting.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
side1.jpg side1b.JPG This point had much nicer colors when it was fresh out of the river. Santa Fe River patina. It was in a case box in a drawer and it changed over time to kinda yucky. Just dried out.

OP
OP
T

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a killer point Tom, thanks for sharing. And thanks to everyone for the advice. Newnanman has suggested oil to me multiple times. One of these days I’ll break down and soak them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread