Important Announcement Regarding The Sale of Metal Detectors on eBay.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a happy camper right now. I just sold a metal detector and was told that there is now a 21 day hold on funds for these types of detectors on eBay due to their new "buyer protection" policy.

If the buyer leaves positive feedback or three days after delivery confirmation the, funds will be released if there are no disputes. I think this is great from a buyers point of view, but this leaves a window of opportunity for certain people. When you are dealing with a sophisticated instrument, it is easy for a person who has never used a metal detector to claim that it is not working properly.

I still think Pay Pal is the safest way to deal, but I will look at other alternatives.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
  • Spooky said:
    Is it related to DETECTORS or is it the price point?

When do payment holds apply?
    Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account if PayPal perceives a risk associated with your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:
    • You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months, and, have limited selling activity, or
    • You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and do not have a record of good performance
      or
      • You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater than 5%, or
      • You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
        • You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
        • You have a high rate of customer disputes
          • You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones
            You have a spike in selling activities or begin selling in a category without an established history

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Ebay was the sh** for a while, but they have changed so much. Some of it is greed and I am sure many things have been put into place due to the scammers and bad apples.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been several threads on that policy here already.....I still buy and sell on Ebay and I use paypal.....There was a time when many detectors were sold, but never delivered. One of the men who work for the same compay I do was taken for over $700 that way several years ago.......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
  • Spooky said:
    Is it related to DETECTORS or is it the price point?

When do payment holds apply?
    Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account if PayPal perceives a risk associated with your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:
    • You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months, and, have limited selling activity, or
    • You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and do not have a record of good performance
      or
      • You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater than 5%, or
      • You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
        • You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
        • You have a high rate of customer disputes
          • You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones
            You have a spike in selling activities or begin selling in a category without an established history

• Makes sense to me. It's not like you're losing money, it's just on hold. I'd rather a 1,000,000 have money held, than 10,000 get ripped off and lose their money.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just there today and saw a used Teknetics T2 in the U.S. for $2,395!!!!! (Buy it now for that, or bid $1,595. Yeah, thanks).

Brand new they go $999 at Kellyco with a bunch of extra fluff thrown in.

I'm not sure ebaY is all it's cracked up to be. They make you think you "won" something when in fact you just were willing to pay more than anyone else in the world who knew about it. What you "won" is the prize sucker trophy in some cases.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I don't know how many people know this, but paypal is owned by Ebay and has been since 2002

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
I just noticed today that sellers can give negative feedback again. Hum, I should read some of those messages they send me.

Thanks for the tip on the hold crap. My used machines will be sold from the forums or Craigslist.

I personally like Paypal. It's way too risky sending a money order these days. I've had several people on ebay try to take my money and run and Paypal went after them and got my money back. They've been fast and fair with me.

I just tonight turned down an awesome deal offer on Craigslist because the seller wouldn't accept Paypal. It hurts but losing hundreds of dollars hurts more.
--Snowy

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I was just there today and saw a used Teknetics T2 in the U.S. for $2,395!!!!! (Buy it now for that, or bid $1,595. Yeah, thanks).

I'm not sure ebaY is all it's cracked up to be. They make you think you "won" something when in fact you just were willing to pay more than anyone else in the world who knew about it. What you "won" is the prize sucker trophy in some cases.

That is a case of "buyer beware", which is a whole other topic, but a good point. I saw a used Garmin Pinpointer go for $120 without the holster. For $7 more you can get a new one with the whole bonus kit and a full warranty!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neil.
Neil.

Relax.

I've been through this and liked to rip someones head off about it.
I do a lot of business with these folks.

No need to get upset.

Go into your paypal account. Email the party who sold/bought the goods.
Just ask politely to leave feed back.

They will.

You will get your funds in 3 days.

I promise. :)

All about consumer protection.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People seem to forget, EBay is no different then any live auction, it is still an auction, I use to go to a lot of auctions in person, I have seen a lot of people pay more for a used item then it would cost new in the store... To get a good deal it is the responsibility of the buyer to know what an item is worth, and when it stops being a bargin....

At a live auction the person who has the higest bid at the end of the auction on an item is the "winner", been that way for hundreds of years, EBay is no different. If someone sells something at auction and a buyer pays more for it then it would cost new, that does not make the seller a crook, it simply means the buyer either didn't know what it was worth, or got caught up in a bidding war to be the "winner"...... It is still a business........

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
People seem to forget, EBay is no different then any live auction, it is still an auction, I use to go to a lot of auctions in person, I have seen a lot of people pay more for a used item then it would cost new in the store... To get a good deal it is the responsibility of the buyer to know what an item is worth, and when it stops being a bargin....

At a live auction the person who has the higest bid at the end of the auction on an item is the "winner", been that way for hundreds of years, EBay is no different. If someone sells something at auction and a buyer pays more for it then it would cost new, that does not make the seller a crook, it simply means the buyer either didn't know what it was worth, or got caught up in a bidding war to be the "winner"...... It is still a business........
Agreed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavador del oro said:
I just noticed today that sellers can give negative feedback again. Hum, I should read some of those messages they send me.

Thanks for the tip on the hold crap. My used machines will be sold from the forums or Craigslist.

I personally like Paypal. It's way too risky sending a money order these days. I've had several people on ebay try to take my money and run and Paypal went after them and got my money back. They've been fast and fair with me.

I just tonight turned down an awesome deal offer on Craigslist because the seller wouldn't accept Paypal. It hurts but losing hundreds of dollars hurts more.
--Snowy

Sellers being able to give neg. again? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I hope you are right! But what's funny is I thought the system change would be a disaster but my feedback is still 100%. I'm glad to see it change back if that's the case, but it scares me a little because who knows what the heck else they changed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:

First off detectors are discounted and there's NOTHING that stops a dealer for selling them for the full price. I don't know what the suggest price is for a T2, but doesn't matter because my point is it's perfectly ok to sell it for more. Besides, what's wrong with pricing your items high if people are willing to pay that price? I sure as heck do it.

As for the "They make you think you won" comment, how does it make sense? The buy it now, or opening price is not any different than a sticker price on something at target. Where does the winning come in to play, it's not an auction? ...and even if it was an auction there's not someone forcing you to push the buttons is there? ;D

I've been on Ebay for many years and am far from a sucker, but maybe that's because I understand it very well. Anyone who doesn't, perhaps it's not a good place to buy a detector or anything else.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I suspect that all what is going with Tecnetiks T-2 price is artifisial or fishing, and if to look more carefuly illegal.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
if ebay care about consumers, like they say, like with paypal they do, they should put Small window when price go over the average price the same item from the web distributors. but its look more like this was made with Tecnetics produsers, but this is only my guess?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
if ebay care about consumers, like they say, like with paypal they do, they should put Small window when price go over the average price the same item from the web distributors. but its look more like this was made with Tecnetics produsers, but this is only my guess?

It is not EBays job to tell a buyer he is paying too much, it is the buyers (consumers) responsibility to know what an item is worth. It is no different then the same item being for sale at different stores and finding out you paid more for it when you bought it at store A, then what store C and D was selling it for.

If John Doe puts up for bid on Ebay a new detector for $500 more then it cost new somewhere else and someone wants to pay it, that is good for John Doe, and it is not illigal....If they are bidding on EBay, that means they have a computer, access to Google and other search engines and the ability to research an item to see what it is worth, if they don't take the time to do the research it is only their fault.....

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
back to holding funds.

I do not like Ebay nor Paypal, and do not like their policy.

If they want to hold my money for 21 days, and draw interest on my money then they owe me the interest. You can bet they draw interest, and plenty of it on our money that is in their hands for 21 days.

There is a way out.

Get a tracking number and track the package. When it is delivered call Ebay or Paypal and give them the tracking number and they will check it out and release the money after maybe three days. I think you can also enter the tracking number on Ebay or Paypal, or maybe both.

They just don't like giving us our money and that's that.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened to me when I sold my V3. I was pissed at first but then you've got to remember that the other person is taking the same chance by sending you, a total stranger, cash and hoping you follow through with you end of the deal.

As long as you ship it promptly and the item is as describe, the buyer should leave feedback(or you can show ebay delivery proof) and the funds will be released. Mine took 3 days from the auctions end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread