M.D. business question

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a local dealer, with a "traveling service" would it be something you would utilize?

Explanation: If you wanted to test a few machines, the travel service would bring the machines or types you are interested in, to your site and give you a set amount of time with each one in an area you are familiar with. To give you real world testing before you purchase.

I understand the investment for the dealer to do this is astronomical as he/she would need said detectors on hand and open, and is probably why I have seen nothing like it yet. However I believe this could save customers time and money and get them the right detector for their style, preferences the first time.

If I'm alone on this let me know.

Thanks for feed back

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be tried again. We did it at the store I worked at and the cost is high.
The store has to be closed or send an employee out with the group. Many wanted to "test" the units at their location. (read, free use of detector to find Momma's lost ring.)
Many times the group was to small to warrant my pay for the day an customers don't want to have to wait for a scheduled day.
A deposit had to be made and any damages to the detectors had to be accounted for.
Many times the customers that used the machines for a while decided to order online where they got the same price and also had to pay shipping in many cases too, but they got hundreds of dollars of inflated prices for junk.
The Used detectors then had to be sold as used cause nobody wanted them after newbies mashed all the buttons or pulled the knobs off. They were also rented out to customers wanting to find a lost item and later came back to hire me to go look.

I would like to see something like this happening, but in the real world people want to take advantage of you.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a dealer for a while and where I see the problem is how many trips you'd make to sell a lower end unit that makes you a tiny profit (or sell nothing at all). On top of that, every unit you use for this testing will drop in value down to about your cost, and to have any selection at all you will easily tie up $10,000 that will only depreciate from there. It's a nice thought but if the idea is to make money I think it's a bad one.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought was a $50 charge or so for the service, but free if you purchase one, to make sure it is truly for the person the service was intended for.
I have a very nice size lot where I could set up a try it on site area as well, but that doesn't answer the real world questions that a true detectorist would have.

As far as the "lower end", "inexpensive", "economical" (whatever wording you prefer) detectors, I don't think it would be nec. or warranted, they would be just as easily served testing at the above mentioned on site lot. Or if they are a newbie just good old knowledge and service to help them.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mclmorizfat said:
If you had a local dealer, with a "traveling service" would it be something you would utilize?

Explanation: If you wanted to test a few machines, the travel service would bring the machines or types you are interested in, to your site and give you a set amount of time with each one in an area you are familiar with. To give you real world testing before you purchase.

I understand the investment for the dealer to do this is astronomical as he/she would need said detectors on hand and open, and is probably why I have seen nothing like it yet. However I believe this could save customers time and money and get them the right detector for their style, preferences the first time.

If I'm alone on this let me know.

Thanks for feed back
It's a superb idea but, each state has it's share of dealers and they set up strategically by miles and as a rule of thumb we try not to step on each others toes. Unfortunately, customer service has evaded some business and some dealers just don't care other than volume of sales. So, we get people by word of mouth from all over the country wanting to buy machines from us... All I offer differently is Honesty, training and set -up. Compassion....Good ole customer service. :icon_thumleft:
Were proud of that.
But, don't expect to get rich selling Metal detecting equipment regardless. It's just something we have fun doing. Helping people. :)

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be local, the traveling is just because we would go to our customers site. As far as getting rich, it would be for money enough to put back into the hobby no more(I wouldn't stop accepting money mind you, just the intention is hobby cash). I really just want to fill that nitch and keep people from buying 3 or 4 detectors because they aren't getting what they hoped for the first time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mclmorizfat said:
It would be local, the traveling is just because we would go to our customers site. As far as getting rich, it would be for money enough to put back into the hobby no more(I wouldn't stop accepting money mind you, just the intention is hobby cash). I really just want to fill that nitch and keep people from buying 3 or 4 detectors because they aren't getting what they hoped for the first time.

But one day with a detector doesn't tell you much. You really do have to take the plunge to know for sure.

You seem like a gung ho guy. Sounds like starting a club might be the way to go as a starting point. Use Ebay, build yourself a good website, just give yourself the opportunity for business to come to you and not just the other way around. Even if you get 10 people together you might be surprised how that can branch out for sales.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mclmorizfat said:

But one day with a detector doesn't tell you much. You really do have to take the plunge to know for sure.

You seem like a gung ho guy. Sounds like starting a club might be the way to go as a starting point. Use Ebay, build yourself a good website, just give yourself the opportunity for business to come to you and not just the other way around. Even if you get 10 people together you might be surprised how that can branch out for sales.
Man, I like what this guy says.
Not to patronize you again I.S. but, your absolutely correct. That's good advise

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Iron Patch said:
mclmorizfat said:

Man, I like what this guy says.
Not to patronize you again I.S. but, your absolutely correct. That's good advise

It's probably because I have done things the hard way since I was 14. Problem is it's damn hard to catch up in your 30s!

Kids stay in school.... this message was paid for by the Ironpatch dirty Colonial copper fund.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
;D
I want to be just like you I.S. when I grow up!

My hero! ;D :notworthy:

Don't take that wrong. ;D

...and to think I wanted to be like you. Now I'm confused. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread