MrE

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2014
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
White's MX5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been swinging my MX5 now on the beach for a total of 8 hours. I've had many newbie "firsts" (first pulltab, first bottle cap, first bobby pin, first penny, first foil wad, first tent stake, and first hotel key).
The hotel key was the most exciting find, on smooth wet sand at low tide! I'm wearing it around my neck until I can trade it up...

I remember reading about the location of the headphone jack and thinking that it might be an issue. However, after using the machine, I prefer it there on the right side! My headphones have a single cord running out of the left earphone. I quickly discovered that by wearing the left earphone with the cord on my right ear, the cord would run right down the outside of my right arm (holding the detector), and never be in the way whether I was swing left or right. The signals are mono in each ear so it doesn't matter which way you wear the phones.
Just thought I would add my thoughts. I do wish that that I had an L plug on my jack, but that's something for later!!
Cheers!
E

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. I don't understand the concern with the plug on "the wrong side". The signal isn't stereo is it? Does it matter whether the left or right ear piece is on the right ear?
I'd be more concerned about how well the MX5 handled notched discrimination and how clean and definitive the signal was.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the MX5 came out you do not see much about it not like the 250 …or F2...is the MX5 a disappointment ?

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX5 isnot a disapointment.Very good machine.The placement of the headphone jack has zero affect on me,since I don't wear them.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO the most important second item when detecting is a good set of headphones. Nibbler, you won't know what becoming one with the detector is until you use headphones.
luvsdux

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used headphones for 17 years.I've been hunting 5 years without them.Don't miss them at all.I hunt in the middle of the woods all the time.I have no problems hearing the deep targets.The MX5 and sorex pro has volume control which I very much like.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The volume on the MX5 can be turned up quite loud through the speakers. I only use the phones when I don't want any nearby folks to hear what I hear. And while I haven't heard a reason given by people who say they don't like the location of the headphone jack, I will guess that most are righties that prefer it in the middle or on the left side and not the right. I'm a lefty.:thumbsup:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick a transmitter on it and forgetaboutit! :laughing7:

20140620_103219.jpg 20140620_103510.jpg 20140620_102607.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions