What are your finds and field reviews of the MX5?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi

I am just curious. The MX5 has been around for quite a few months but have seen very little on this machine. Looks impressive but you can't judge a book by its cover, it is how it works in the field is what counts. Does anyone have any finds with the MX5 they would like to post? It would be nice to hear some actual field reviews on the machine also. Have heard very little since I'm wanting to get one myself but the lack of actual field reports has me a little wary. If there is nothing much about this detector, I may just go with the proven M6 or Fisher F70. Any input?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you read all the posts on the whites forum and maybe PM the people who own them for a candid answer to your question?
MXT Pro, MXT, MX5 & M6

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its been a bad winter and lots of people have not been out to give a good report on the M5 I had one and it does not go as deep as an MXT does, that being said the M5 has more features than an MXT does and in a lighter box. If u relic hunt get an Mxt or M6, if u mainly coin hunt then an M5 is a good one.As always the whites detectors like some other brands have a issue with see thru ability like a nail up against a coin. But lots of other makes have the same issue so no big problem. Not trying to discourage you as IF u are a relic hunter there is a difference in depth--just a little to make it worth while to get a used MXT against the M5 just a thought rwd mo

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info and yes I am a coin hunter so it will be kept on my list of my next go to machine.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just traded the MX5 for another M6. (I sold my original M6 to purchase the MX5!) IMO, MX5 is lighter and has more features than M6. M6 is much more stable than MX5 on VDIs. I prefer the M6!

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll chime in as I seem to be one of the few who actually OWN the MX5, which in my opinion is a damn shame. Hope this machine gains momentum.

I've had mine 1.5 months or so. Took awhile to fall in love with it but that was just growing pains early on. I've had White's VDI type machines from an Eagle Spectrum (2) to an M6. Can't even remember why I parted with them.

At first, the threshold drove me crazy. Very poppy and sputtery. I spoke with a Whites rep and they assured me that was normal and described it as a 'car with a hot cam'.

I used my Whites 'Bonus Bucks' to get a 5.3 Eclipse coil for $100 off. Turned out to be an excellent choice, as (no BS!) my very first target using the 5.3 was this:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s86/...726be9c2e129/7cc3c29969a4e12ea01c8d4f5ac0d0fe

in an area with really, really heavy trash.

In the beginning, it chirped, grunted and farted a lot - like my M6 would do. Stupid me took a week to realize I had -95 notched in, so notching -95 to 0 definitely did the trick.

A medium-slow steady sweep and listening for the solid sounds thru the chatter is what it takes (again, like the M6. You can definitely hear the M-series pedigree).

This thing loves nickels. I've never found so many. 18-20 on the VDI and 99% of the time, it's a nickel. Including '42-'45 silvers, as I've found 2 of them. 1 was in a hole with 2 wheaties and I remember telling myself 'sounds like a pocket spill'.

It's deep. I've hit 8" dimes (no BS, again!) with a solid 78-80 and that's with the little 5.3.

Auto ground tracking works excellently. Threshold volume will vary depending on the site.

(abrupt change of subject)
Only wish the ATPro users would open the minds a bit and acknowledge there might be another machine out there than their golden child. I'd try an ATPro but that damn stock 8x10" DD (or whatever it is) would only require me to spend another $150 for a smaller coil just to use the thing in the type of places I hunt. Are you listening Garrett? I really want to try an ATPro!

The stock 9" spider on the Whites was the right size for out of the box.

Overall, I've been really happy with it. It's a keeper. Very well built, feels great to swing despite not being the typical White's aluminum control box. It's NOT cheaply made.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfie, Looking at your current line up of detectors, especially the CZ5, makes me wonder why you'd be looking at mid level machine like the MX5. You are certainly NOT going to get any performance advantage out it.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfie, Looking at your current line up of detectors, especially the CZ5, makes me wonder why you'd be looking at mid level machine like the MX5. You are certainly NOT going to get any performance advantage out it.

Fella, you are so right there...I have owned that CZ5 now for such a long time I was thinking that soon it will be time for a new machine. Really like that machine but not sure how much longer it will be around. So you think I will be downgrading? What about the M6? Would that machine match the Cz5?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, you are so right there...I have owned that CZ5 now for such a long time I was thinking that soon it will be time for a new machine. Really like that machine but not sure how much longer it will be around. So you think I will be downgrading? What about the M6? Would that machine match the Cz5?
I have no doubt the M6 is great coin machine. But again it's no CZ. Love the CZ-3D, so stable, no emi issues, deep, simple, high tone all coins. Dunno if it high tone your Canadian coins or not (you know how CZ's respond to your coins) but the Whites I've had didn't care for Canadian coins unless it was copper pennies or silver.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no doubt the M6 is great coin machine. But again it's no CZ. Love the CZ-3D, so stable, no emi issues, deep, simple, high tone all coins. Dunno if it high tone your Canadian coins or not (you know how CZ's respond to your coins) but the Whites I've had didn't care for Canadian coins unless it was copper pennies or silver.

I agree with you fella. I'm not into newer Canadian coins either just the pre 1950 coins and silver which does come in the same as your American silver coins. The thing is I know the life of my CZ5 is about to run its course and right now I'm just looking to see what is out there...Thanks for your imput...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you fella. I'm not into newer Canadian coins either just the pre 1950 coins and silver which does come in the same as your American silver coins. The thing is I know the life of my CZ5 is about to run its course and right now I'm just looking to see what is out there...Thanks for your imput...
Well there is the Fisher CZ-3D. Easily the best coin machine I've ever had. It's still being made so I'm sure parts will be available for some time. However, it's older technology so it's design may be coming to an end. A shame if that happens.
If you're main objective is coin shooting pick a brand. I think ALL manufacturers make fine machines that'll work great. I honestly believe no one brand is better than the other. I prefer certain ones to others but "better" it too subjective. They ALL make deep machines that get the job done.
One more thing to consider, if you're doing any salt beach areas, you probably want to stay with multi freq detectors. Fisher CZ's, White Spectra V series or DFX, FBS & BBS Minlabes would work best there.

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome machine, deep accurate, and fast, I love my MX5, I agree with silver finger 100%

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread