IN FOR A PENNY... IN FOR A POUND

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
“IN FOR A PENNY… IN FOR A POUND”

A pound of pennies! That’s certainly what it felt like in my finds bag today as I wound down the end of a second day of metal detecting for my latest days off. I got to get out two days in a row! Can you believe it? Well the first day kind of paled as far as the weather goes. I mean how great can it be when you start off with fog, misting drizzle that turns one minute to sleet and snow and then back to rain the next? But at least it didn’t keep that up all day, just the time I was out detecting. *sigh* Just figures doesn’t it? I mean you grin and bear it just so you can get out and detect a little bit, then when you finally give up for the day, the weather takes a turn for the better. Oh yeah! The Sun came out and it actually dried up a bit and warmed up a bit, AFTER I’d quit for the day. Between driving between hunting sights, waiting on rain to stop falling, and eating lunch, the five hours I’d set out to detect with were whittled down to a mere two hours yesterday. It wasn’t all bad though, and I’ll tell you why. I hit a few parks and playgrounds that I don’t get around to very often, and apparently neither does anyone else! Lots of change to be found, for a change. <grin> Pennies, pennies, pennies and more pennies! Of course there were other coins in the mix as well, but predominantly it was pennies found. There were lots of dimes too and a few nickels, and some quarters. I would have called yesterday a good day of detecting to be sure, but I think the best find I had for the day was information.
Folks, it PAYS to be courteous to people who tend the grounds of your local parks and playgrounds. Those grounds keepers and maintenance personnel who mow the lawns, mend the fences, pick up the trash, put down the lines on the ball fields, most people overlook them. I always take time to say hi and talk with any of these people who I meet or approach me while I’m detecting. First of all, it reassures them that I’m not a menace to them or their job, and secondly you make some good contacts that way. Yesterday I was approached by a fellow while I was detecting a baseball/softball complex. I’d seen him earlier putting down fresh lines on the diamonds . It turns out that I’d spoken with this guy before at another park (they often tend to more than one park here in my town). Not only that, but this guy lives not far from my own parents and knows them. Of course he didn’t know that until we talked a bit yesterday. It truly is a small world sometimes. Anyway, during our conversation I found out about a couple of parks in my town that I didn’t even know existed. Two of them are fairly old but have recently been renovated and “cleared” of overgrowth and bushes in the picnic areas. How cool is that? I wasn’t able to take advantage of that information yesterday, but TODAY was a different story altogether!
I hit three parks today, armed with information from my friend the groundskeeper. One I knew about already but rarely frequent because of it’s location. Something about sticking out like a sore thumb and not wanting to draw attention to myself. Anyway, with it being somewhat cold this morning, and all the kiddies are still in school, it seemed like an excellent opportunity to hunt this small park. WHEW! Baggin’ Clad! I nearly doubled my haul from the day before at one park today! More pennies of course, but that’s not unusual for a tot lot or playground. Dimes, Nickels, Quarters OH MY! Oh there were the usual finds as well, tabs, scrap metal etc etc. I pounded that park for over an hour today, the woodchips, the grassy areas around it, near the bathroom/concession building. Of course it was rather reassuring to have a police cruiser parked next to my little truck while I was hunting. The officer was there when I arrived, Writing reports or eating lunch or whatever I don’t know. <shrug> He didn’t speak, and I didn’t bother him. I’m sure he kind of wondered about me, being where I was, umm, sticking out like a sore thumb (or would have if there had been a crowd around.) Anyway, it was comforting. So was lunch after I finished hunting that park. After lunch and driving across town I hit one of the “older parks” I’d been steered towards by yesterdays conversation. It was deserted today, but that is fine with me.
I hadn’t walked three steps from my truck before I started getting target signals. Pennies, Quarters, and keys. Yeah, Keys. I found three at this one park and within about three feet of each other too.

Keys.JPG

I also found a couple of wheat pennies. A 1955-D and a 1918.

WheatComp.jpg

Not far from the wheats was this ring thing. It looks like some sort of ring you put around a coin to make a pendant out of it or something. There’s no inscription or stamp of any kind on it though, and no hole for a chain or link. <shrug>

CoinRing.JPG
CoinRing2.JPG

More oddities were found over the course of the past two days hunts. Some are the usual kinds of finds and not surprising..

Usuals.JPG
Buttons.JPG

… Some are a bit more un-usual ..

Unusuals.JPG

.. There were “shades of Summer”..

Shades.JPG

… there were the toys and tools and firemakers…

Drivers.JPG

… and there were the “Whatzits”… <shrug>

Whatzits.JPG

… I found but one foreign coin, today, and one lonely little token.. alas, it’s not a Chuck-e-Cheese this time.

Token.JPG

…. And lastly.. the loads and loads of clad! WHEW! “In for a penny.. in for a pound” INDEED! I must have found over a pound of pennies alone! Two hundred and seventy nine pennies over the two days hunting. That’s a LOT OF PENNIES man!

Clad.JPG

.. To say that my gas was covered.. to say that my batteries were covered.. hell! Even my lunch, for BOTH DAYS was covered. Uh.. Yeah! I got it covered. <grin> I LOVE THIS HOBBY! I hope everyone else got to get out and wet your knees or at least whet your appetites for discovery over the past couple of days. Or, perhaps get to get out and detect a little this weekend.. Good luck.. and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov , you are the man! I've maybe dug 20 bucks in a day once in two and a half years of
detecting, and that's a brutal amount of digging - but your so pre-occupied while your doing
it, you don't notice your body complaining until the next day. That 1918 wheat is great , that
equals my oldest dug copper coin. Godbless , Argentium.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
Frodov , you are the man! I've maybe dug 20 bucks in a day once in two and a half years of
detecting, and that's a brutal amount of digging - but your so pre-occupied while your doing
it, you don't notice your body complaining until the next day. That 1918 wheat is great , that
equals my oldest dug copper coin. Godbless , Argentium.

Well actually it was over two days time.. even if it was only a couple of hours each day. And OH YEAH!.. I pay for the digging the day after.. Believe it!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow awesome post, and congrats on the finds... defiantly lots of digging...:) the clad adds up fast so if you haven't already you are well on your way to paying for that detector thanks for sharing and hh

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ricky1601 aka clad king said:
wow awesome post, and congrats on the finds... defiantly lots of digging...:) the clad adds up fast so if you haven't already you are well on your way to paying for that detector thanks for sharing and hh

Yeah.. paid for my detector many times over now over the past three plus years. Now all money found goes into our "Vacation fund" or "kitty" as my wife calls it. I roll up the coins by denomination and eventually cash them in at a bank. I have to keep going to different banks though as after they get even one complaint from someone who's received one or more of those rolls of coins and they aren't pristine and shiny, the bank will no longer (usually) accept the "found money". <grin> But that's ok, there are LOTS of banks around.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Great stuff there, you know we go out and hunt and not find anything that is "dramatic" but have a good time and scarf up some clad and we can be happy! That is a haul of pennies, my wife and I dug 191 pennies out of one 10x10 site the other day so I know what it is to dig and dig but as long as we come up with stuff it is fun! Keep on "cleaning up" the Bluegrass brother!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
you are a digging machine, that questionable by the trunk lock looks like a lock/opener for an old glove box. keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wwwtimmcp said:
you are a digging machine, that questionable by the trunk lock looks like a lock/opener for an old glove box. keep up the good work.

Hmmm glove box lock.. it could be just that. That would fit in with the trunk/door lock and the lug nuts and other assorted car parts I've found in that particular park in the past. It's a small neighborhood park that sits in the middle of a subdivision on what was the original property owners homestead (farmhouse). I remember exploring this old house as a child with cousins of mine who lived in this very neighborhood as it was being built at the time. I don't recall any junk cars or vehicles around that old house, but it was pretty well grown over with weeds and bushes at that time so who knows? It's neat what you might find under and around old trees even in "new" parks huh? Thanks for the ID!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...That's a lot of Clad...Does your arm and shoulder hunt after that or are you used to it? Anyhow Congrats on your haul...HH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wyattrr said:
Wow...That's a lot of Clad...Does your arm and shoulder hunt after that or are you used to it? Anyhow Congrats on your haul...HH :thumbsup:

Actually, my arms and shoulders are fine.. it's usually my lower back and or knees that tell me I might have overdone it a bit when I get to indulge that much in my metal detecting. <grin> It's usually not so bad though, this time it wasn't bad at all. Although I found quite a bit of clad as well as a lot of junk (lots and lots of targets to be sure).. the digging was spread out quite a bit over the two days time. All told it was only about three and a half hours to maybe four hours spent detecting and a lot of that digging. the rest of the time was travelling from site to site and/or waiting on the precipitation to let up or stop.. and lunch.. etc etc. Rarely have I ever gone to one site and spent long hours detecting non-stop. Would that I could! But, I'm not as young as I wish I was anymore and the old joints and bones and muscles let me know when I've pushed the envelope a bit too much. *sigh* So take an aspirine or whatever and go on with life I say. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn, Frodov. You could stop working and live on that :laughing7: That's a lot of quarters and pennies. My hats off to you for digging that much :notworthy:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ziggy-Grimm said:
Quite the haul you got there!

I would be going out for a steak dinner with all that clad :laughing9:
Steak dinner.. shrimp dinner.. something. Most all the clad I find while detecting gets pooled into the "vacation fund". After paying off my detector (about three months after I bought it) I've paid it off several time over now. The money having been found, saved, and then spent on vacations either as gas money, hotel stays, or dining out. Of course that entails converting it from dirty dug up coins to rolled coins and then into digital information on a checking account or paper money in the pocket first. <grin> You got to love a hobby that pays you to have fun!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I see you found yourself a backup digging tool :icon_thumleft: Gotta love them screwdrivers!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
cillosis said:
I see you found yourself a backup digging tool :icon_thumleft: Gotta love them screwdrivers!

Yeah, another tool found while playing. It's amazing how many tools I find in parks and playgrounds. Wrenches, screw drivers, a hammer one time. I've found things like kitchen knives too though.. weird. As for that screw driver being a backup digging tool.. nahhh.. A probe maybe, but I'd sooner walk back to my truck and get a real digger rather than use a screw driver.. talk about wearing blisters in your hands. Nope... this hobby is supposed to be fun, not .. well.. WORK. <grin>

What's the oddest tool any of you have ever found while detecting?

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread