In need of some help

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I bought a small collection of arrowheads last year and the lady I bought them from had glued them to a piece of cardboard and and put them in a picture frame. My question is how or what can I use to get the glue off of the pieces without harming them. They are very old and I don't want to damage the patina on them. I have bought a display case to put all my finds in and was wanting to put these in there as well just not in the frames they are currently in. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Well is there any way of knowing what type of glue she used? Maybe post a pic of them so we can look.

She probably used a white glue like Elmer's. It's one of the hardest glues to remove, as I know from my years restoring antiques, having to undo someone's improper repair before I could get the job done right. First of all, go ahead and tear the points off the cardboard. You won't hurt the arrowheads, and who cares about the board, right? Then try soaking them in acetone. That should at least soften the glue enough that you can scrape it away. If she used epoxy, the acetone will remove it. In either case you may need to scrape away residue with a small knife or a dental tool. This procedure won't hurt hard rocks like flint. If any of them are from a stone like shale that has some porosity, there's a possibility of some staining. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
...now if it's something like Elmer's can't she just soak it in a bowl of water for a week to soften it up, no harm no foul?

I use elmers. It washes off in warn water and dries clear.

Do not use Acetone! If you ever authenticated a piece that is the last thing you do to a point. soak it in water. If that does not work dry it out in the sun and wait until it gets baked and then wait until it cools and try using toothpicks to remove the glue from flanges and surface. I would try that first though. Glue has a tough time holding onto high grade flint and can easily pulled off the piece.

Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it very much. This collection took 30 years to put together. The lady and her children searched local fields and picked them up. This is only part of what she has. The rest I have not seen but was told that they were just stored in boxes and buckets because she didn't take the time to put them in frames. She didn't want to part with any more right now. She was in need of some money is the only reason I got these. Here are some pictures of the frames.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Allot of drills. Id be looking in those buckets if she would let you. Might be some good ones in the bucket that she doesnt know what they are.

I did a large collection for a girl and used finger nail polish remover after chiseling them off the board. They used epoxy. I soaked them and it slowly came off. I did not destroy the patina but they were clean. Huntress if they are just glued to that felt it will not be to bad. You did well. Wow!! :hello2:

I did a large collection for a girl and used finger nail polish remover after chiseling them off the board. They used epoxy. I soaked them and it slowly came off. I did not destroy the patina but they were clean. Huntress if they are just glued to that felt it will not be to bad. You did well. Wow!! :hello2:

Yes they are glued only to the felt. I think she might have used Elmer's glue because it is clear and very smooth. hopefully I won't have any trouble getting it off. Thanks again for all the tips and I will remember NO ACETONE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back