🥇 BANNER Incredible Gold Nugget found when detecting

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The find of a lifetime for me and on my birthday to boot. Me and Ron Swenson Ron(CA) were out detecting an old site where I have found quite a few small nuggets a couple years ago and this was a huge surprise as I never expected gold to come in as a high conductor. This sounded and ID'd just like a silver coin would. I am lucky that I live in such a great place to detect, here in California's gold country. Every once in a while one of us comes across a big nugget like this while out detecting. The 49'rs didn't have detectors and where they didn't dig, there is still the possibility of coming across one of these :thumbsup:

This live dig was caught on video . . . .

I know we say "Dude" alot but, Dude, we're from California!!

Thanks for looking!! Best birthday ever :-D

EDIT: 07-07-2014 - Several have asked me if this nugget is for sale, I am looking at all offers. Thanks!!

vpg8sg.jpg

iz6mp3.jpg

vgs8k7.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 98
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried to get a density or at least a volume on that thing?

That scale platform specs at 2.875" a side, making the area of the hunk about 29 cm^2

Given the 118.5 gm weight, a volume of that weight (if pure/nearly pure gold) would be only 2mm thick at that area.

But this thing looks a lot thicker. Can you show a side view?

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried to get a density or at least a volume on that thing?

That scale platform specs at 2.875" a side, making the area of the hunk about 29 cm^2

Given the 118.5 gm weight, a volume of that weight (if pure/nearly pure gold) would be only 2mm thick at that area.

But this thing looks a lot thicker. Can you show a side view?

Here are a couple of pics of side view with a 1CM scale cube.

2dio7xg.jpg

9gd9w7.jpg

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more pics:

bedhlt.jpg

2yo2y2r.jpg

2r2qdj9.jpg

Getting lot's of questions about whether or not I am looking to sell, Looking at all offers on this nugget ;-) A Huge THANKS to all of you for your comments and Banner Votes!!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! You crazy to sell that.
At a minimum you should wait till gold goes back up, but why not enjoy it for a while first?

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure cleaned up nice. A nugget like that needs a name.

We started to call it the "T-Bone" Nugget because in the video I say "It's like a slab of meat, like a T-Bone" but there has to be a better name for it. Still thinking of one . . . . :icon_scratch: ???

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! You crazy to sell that.
At a minimum you should wait till gold goes back up, but why not enjoy it for a while first?

I agree, not actively trying to sell but several were asking if I was at least taking offers. So, if the price was right I would sell but it would be sad to see it go to a new owner. Hoping that whomever buys it, it at least goes into a display of Raw California Gold. This nugget never saw a river and has never tumbled around, it may have been pushed around by a few ice ages (ice sheets in glacial periods) over the last millions of years but it is in it's original form, not shaped by tumbling through streams, creeks, rivers, etc.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUDE!!! Gnarly Nug ! :headbang:

GG~

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
A few more pics:

bedhlt.jpg

2yo2y2r.jpg

2r2qdj9.jpg

Getting lot's of questions about whether or not I am looking to sell, Looking at all offers on this nugget ;-) A Huge THANKS to all of you for your comments and Banner Votes!!

Thanks for those additional photos. Now I can see all that rock in there. I wonder what the actual gold percentage is. Can you ID the white? mineral? Can you do a specific gravity?

Given that cm scale cube the volume is obviously way too large compared to the target 2mm.

It almost looks plated or painted.

Would be neat to see it in hand.

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for those additional photos. Now I can see all that rock in there. I wonder what the actual gold percentage is. Can you ID the white? mineral? Can you do a specific gravity?

Given that cm scale cube the volume is obviously way too large compared to the target 2mm.

It almost looks plated or painted.

Would be neat to see it in hand.

I don't know how to do a specific gravity test but I will look it up because I have several other nuggets that have quartz in them that I need to test as well. Other than just for the information and science, I don't really "Need" to test them for SpG because I won't ever sell them or value them just based on their gold weight as it is so subjective when pricing or trying to give a nugget a monetary value. It really depends more on morphology, and appeal along with percentage of gold and quartz.

I believe the minerals embedded are quartz as we all know the geological processes involved with the formation of gold. All of the nuggets I find that have quartz content from our area show a deep red/brown colored quartz, however occasionally we get lucky and see a nice bright white quartz. This nugget shows a bit of both colors. California Gold is amazingly beautiful right out of the ground but the photos do make the colors very deep. To hold it in your hand is absolutely unbelievable and very special. Most nuggets of this size and quality end up in displays and never get to be held and enjoyed.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Jolly balance. I made mine, after having used professional units.

Almost any college will have one you can use. Probably a modern type.

Here is the wiki Jolly balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mine doesn't use a spring, it is small and uses a triple beam balance. Thousand'th of a gram, half kilo max.

Based on apparent volume from what the photos show your nugget might be almost a lode ore chunk. Is there a nearby hill?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, if I found that I would not sell it. You never know how much gold will be worth in ten years, your young, that is money in the bank

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
incredible ! what a beauty.amazing find of a lifetime!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Awesome BANNER Find!