🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out for a few hours after work yesterday to do a bit of sifting and detecting. I opened a pit section and it was pretty dead. A single pewter button turned up which wasnt much for a couple hours of moving dirt. So I took a break and went off to dig nails. I got a tone that was on the verge of detection with some iron sounds, in an area I have POUNDED for over a year. Its the type of signal that I have gotten to know well with my Deus... they are hard to hear, but when I find one it's usually something non-ferrous and very deep.

I removed 3 nails from the hole and there was still something deeper. I pulled the loose dirt from about 9" deep out with my glove and I saw half of a beautiful deep green object. At first I thought it was going to be another oval cufflink, but when I pulled it out of the dirt and saw the eagle I couldn't stop smiling.

Here it is right after it came out!

IMG_20160805_164119.jpg

I typically find 2-piece Civil War Era military buttons. Those are always awesome to find, but I've wanted an earlier one piece brass military button for years. I see you guys post them and I drool over them. So I couldn't have been happier with this button, and I couldn't ask for one in better condition.

I looked in my Albert button book and it doesn't list this "Superb Imperial Stand*" as a backmark. If anyone can tell me just what variety this is, that would be AWESOME! It is a raised shield and it has a raised I... it also looks like the slanted shield type. I cant seem to ID it, but I would guess its 1820-1830 maybe?

IMG_20160805_220058.jpg

The rest of the finds were meager. A small cuff sized brass flat button, a pewter button and a broken pewter button, then the usual pipe frags and pottery fragments. If it wasnt for the Infantry button, this is the type of hunt I don't bother with a post... but I still cant get over that button and keep staring at it.

IMG_20160806_154224743.jpg

Here are some better high-res button pictures in case the first 5 pictures weren't enough :laughing7:

IMG_20160806_154251522.jpg IMG_20160806_154321255.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 33

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is Outstanding!!!
Sure has me drooling! Congratulations and thanks for posting. [emoji106]

HH RN

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have alberts so I couldn't give you additional info. Congrats on a very beautiful button! I'm drooling!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button Brad. Perhaps it's in the Tice book

Thanks a ton man. Great idea! ABE... can you look this button up for me? I don't see myself getting the Tice book anytime soon unless a) I find it at a thrift store or 2) start digging way more military buttons than I currently do.

In the Albert book I think it most closely matches GI 79E on page 36-37. I don't find or ID too many of these though, so I could be way off... and obviously the backmark isn't even in that book. Thanks again Joey!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful button!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another killer-that button is in fantastic condition. Congrats on checking off a bucket list relic!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg Brad. You are correct in 1820s-1830s. The design does not look like the 1840s and the bm also suggests earlier.

Dan

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a button! Congrats on finding it, and in such beautiful condition as well.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is Outstanding!!!
Sure has me drooling! Congratulations and thanks for posting. [emoji106]

HH RN

Thanks Relic Nut! I'm happy to make you drool :laughing7: My dream find early military button is the War of 1812 Era brass Artillery buttons with the Cannon on them... for whatever reason I think those just look awesome. I need a spot with the right kind of history to pull that off!

Congrats on the button and other nice finds

Thanks Art!

I only have alberts so I couldn't give you additional info. Congrats on a very beautiful button! I'm drooling!

Thanks detectahead! I really appreciate it. I also only have the Alberts book. I don't find enough military buttons to spend $200+ on the Tice book. ha

Thanks flatbutton!

Beautiful button!

Thanks birdman!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another killer-that button is in fantastic condition. Congrats on checking off a bucket list relic!

Thanks Glenn! You're one of the guys on here whose early military buttons I drool over :laughing7: It's not Rev War old, but older than Civil War is all I need to be happy. ha

Wtg Brad. You are correct in 1820s-1830s. The design does not look like the 1840s and the bm also suggests earlier.

Dan

Thanks Dan! As I mentioned to you, your last post is what motivated me to get out and do a sift trip the other day. :laughing7: So, Thank you! I couldn't be happier with this button... from the condition to the patina, I'm not sure how it could have turned out any better.

What a button! Congrats on finding it, and in such beautiful condition as well.

Thanks Mike! It was a huge surprise to see the eagle. I haven't counted them but I would estimate I've pulled 300+ buttons from this place. 13 are Civil War Union buttons and the rest are all civilian. With the exception of the Brown Bess Bayonet and War of 1812 Bayonet from here, all the military stuff has been Civil War (I know why the CW stuff is here too) Anyway, I certainly wasnt expecting an earlier marked military button so I was thrilled.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy I'm sure I can find it in the Tice book. That's a gorgeous button! I'll sell you my book for $888....a killer deal for sure

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what a score. I'm glad you rescued it from someone else's grubby little hand.

How old is that blue pottery? Jk.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy I'm sure I can find it in the Tice book. That's a gorgeous button! I'll sell you my book for $888....a killer deal for sure

Too many 8's. Make it $88 and you got a deal :laughing7: Thanks a ton man. Let me know if you see it in there... I need to make a special area for this button in my case so I can just stare at it. Ha

Wow what a score. I'm glad you rescued it from someone else's grubby little hand.

How old is that blue pottery? Jk.

Thanks a ton dude! Hard to believe there's still stuff down there at this place. It's a lot of work for only a few buttons now, but I'm pretty thrilled I got my hands on this one as well.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button Brad
Congrats, Brad

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one piece infantry Brad. That one is in great shape. That raised shield wore down easily on those to the point you can't even see the I, but that certainly is not the case with yours. I have only found two of those over the years. One of them is pretty nice with a good bit of silver plating remaining.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find like to see when people find stuff that they really like Good job Thanks for sharing with us!!!!!!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread