Indian Arrowhead - Clear Quartz - McDowell County

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this arrowhead yesterday while prospecting on my property Treasure Valley, almost threw it away with discards in classifier screen. It is really clear although picture shows a tint to it. I was told 10-15 years ago by a man that some of the Indians in my area made arrowheads out of clear quartz, never realized I might ever find one. I have found a few that were not clear quartz in the past along with a Guilford point while prospecting for other things. According to history this area was sort of the border between the Cherokee and Catawba Tribes so don't know which this may belong to. A friend of mine and fellow rockhound found one very similar east of me, I'm thinking Lincoln County so might make a person lean towards the Catawba Tribe. Quartz Arrowhead.JPG

hkydigger

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
hickory nc
Detector(s) used
ace 250
bounty hunter lone star pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this arrowhead yesterday while prospecting on my property Treasure Valley, almost threw it away with discards in classifier screen. It is really clear although picture shows a tint to it. I was told 10-15 years ago by a man that some of the Indians in my area made arrowheads out of clear quartz, never realized I might ever find one. I have found a few that were not clear quartz in the past along with a Guilford point while prospecting for other things. According to history this area was sort of the border between the Cherokee and Catawba Tribes so don't know which this may belong to. A friend of mine and fellow rockhound found one very similar east of me, I'm thinking Lincoln County so might make a person lean towards the Catawba Tribe. View attachment 1383131

That's really awesome I have seen some of those at the museum at Catawba vscience center super rare find cause they were for small game like rabbits and usually broke as soon as they shot them

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find!! I hope those fires are staying away from you in Treasure Valley. We were swamped with the smoke from it down in Durham a few days ago.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a beautiful tip. if you're on Instagram, you should send it to my friend to highlight on his page - check out NcNativeSociety

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fires too close for comfort on both sides of Treasure Valley, lots of smoke depending on wind direction.

Sorry but I don't do instagram, feel free to forward if you wish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread