Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
hickory nc
Detector(s) used
ace 250
bounty hunter lone star pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all like the title said im a newbie just started about 2 months back with my wife so far have been every weekend and found a few good things but am looking for someone a little more experienced in the area to show me the ropes. having trouble finding good spots and so far only have 2 decent spots only 1 has produced. if anyone in the area wants to link up please let me know thanks

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. There are a LOT of guys here from your area. Also look at the CLUBS FORUM Sub Section and look up the local detecting Club in your area. There you will meet guys in your area to go digging with ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
H

hkydigger

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
hickory nc
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there thanks for the quick reply and thank you for the welcome. i have looked into clubs in the area but the closest ones are over an hour away im still hoping there may be someone that can point me in the right direction out here in the woods lol. i am glad to have found this site i could spend days on here just reading these forums

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friend,

You're close to civil war activity ... hope you know that. Here is a great resource for old NC maps. Just check out your county and surrounding cities. This is one of my main go-to resources. North Carolina Maps: Browse by Location

I'd hit up all the old schools in your area - not sure what the park rules are for your area. For instance, we can dig in all the city parks here in Raleigh, but in Wake Forest for instance, its a big NO-NO.

What type of treasure hunting are you interested in? All of it? Coin shooting? Relic Hunting? Jewelry? That 250 is a very capable machine - I have a friend that kills it with his. However, we do have some hot soil in NC - especially in the red clay areas. If you like the hobby, might want to think about upgrading to a AT Pro for the ground balancing.

OP
OP
H

hkydigger

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
hickory nc
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friend,

You're close to civil war activity ... hope you know that. Here is a great resource for old NC maps. Just check out your county and surrounding cities. This is one of my main go-to resources. North Carolina Maps: Browse by Location

I'd hit up all the old schools in your area - not sure what the park rules are for your area. For instance, we can dig in all the city parks here in Raleigh, but in Wake Forest for instance, its a big NO-NO.

What type of treasure hunting are you interested in? All of it? Coin shooting? Relic Hunting? Jewelry? That 250 is a very capable machine - I have a friend that kills it with his. However, we do have some hot soil in NC - especially in the red clay areas. If you like the hobby, might want to think about upgrading to a AT Pro for the ground balancing.

Thank you so much for the help and for the link I've been searching all over the web for maps and haven't found any and Google earth just isn't cutting it. Yea I figured the 250 would do well for me while I'm starting out and am starting to get pretty good at picking and identifying good targets with it but plan on upgrading to the pro. I had no idea I would love this hobby so much but once I dug that first silver I was hooked. I'm interested in all the treasure hunting but mostly am hoping for old coins,civil war-rev war relics,indian artifacts or just historical items in general. I'm not really interested in jewelry or modern items. And I have always heard this area was rich in civil war history and would love to get into a few good holes but to be honest I wouldn't even know where to begin looking

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
H

hkydigger

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
hickory nc
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are really cool thanks a lot. The rocky Ford engagement took place about a mile from where I grew up its a walking park now I just hope I can do some hunting there I'll have to look into it

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I believe the 1 hour trip to the Clubs closest to you will be WELL worth the effort. When or if you go bring a pen & paper. Ask the guys if they will go digging with you. I think you will get a resounding YES. Take names, numbers & the email addresses above all else. Then you can talk to the guys all the time via email & phone. I truly believe there are guys right next to you and you don't know it and won't know it until you hit the Clubs ok. PLUS you will get to see the stuff they dig up all over your area, gain tips & leads, have a LOT of Fellowship and make some great friends ok. If that ain't worth the trip then really are in trouble ok. Good Luck and let us know how you make out ok. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread