rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well I posted this up earlier in the what page cause I thought it was an early cannonball. Cannonballman said no. So what do you people think that it might be? I bought it in N Fl. and was told it was a dig find. Found west of Tallahassee on the Cocohatchee river. It is 3 inches tall completely well rounded and smooth. Its heavy for its size and is made of clay (at least on the outside). It was bought by the person I got it from in a large Artifact collection. I have no idea except for game ball but it is rather large IMO for one. Any ideas would be great and the age would help. Thanks rock 100_1995.JPG 100_1994.JPG It has a impact fracture on one side.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's alot larger than I thought it was when you first told me. I have no Idea what that could be.. botchi ball.. cricket... huh?

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe they were used in mills. Does it have what seems to be a circle on it going around about a third off the way down.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Did it come from a creek? And does it seem hollow ? An old man from the WV. Mountains (like WV has flat land) tried to trade the Folsom in my avatar for 2 balls like that and a nice native pipe. He told me the balls were found secured in a creek, only 3 were found and they contained paint. He busted one, and found paint perfectly preserved in it. I did not trade, and the balls are now in a museum in WV. I saw them a couple months back. Just so happened to see a sign advertising a native museum on my way to KY. And went back to it. The old fellows name I won't say, was under the two pieces. I think that is what you have, but can't promise!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they were used in mills. Does it have what seems to be a circle on it going around about a third off the way down.

Yeah now that I look at it. Kinda like a line around the middle Goes all the way around it almost like a very slight ridge.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did it come from a creek? And does it seem hollow ? An old man from the WV. Mountains (like WV has flat land) tried to trade the Folsom in my avatar for 2 balls like that and a nice native pipe. He told me the balls were found secured in a creek, only 3 were found and they contained paint. He busted one, and found paint perfectly preserved in it. I did not trade, and the balls are now in a museum in WV. I saw them a couple months back. Just so happened to see a sign advertising a native museum on my way to KY. And went back to it. The old fellows name I won't say, was under the two pieces. I think that is what you have, but can't promise!
Well you know when people want to sell things they have bought and arent sure they will say anything. It is heavy but yes they said river dug.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
Well you know when people want to sell things they have bought and arent sure they will say anything. It is heavy but yes they said river dug.

No this guy was a huge collector, and only personal finds. He would not have lied . The two he had were darker in color and made of hard clay. You could thump them and tell they were not completely hollow. Kinda like a water melon type thump to them. They were strange, too strange for me to trade. I will not trade my nice personal finds. I don't like for things to leave home by far, they lose their relevance and just become another Clovis or what ever it is at hand. I have never bought, sold, nor traded any thing. I have and will give things away every so often, but ask that they be labeled Person Co. NC find. Just for reference to prevent future confusion.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this guy was a huge collector, and only personal finds. He would not have lied . The two he had were darker in color and made of hard clay. You could thump them and tell they were not completely hollow. Kinda like a water melon type thump to them. They were strange, too strange for me to trade. I will not trade my nice personal finds. I don't like for things to leave home by far, they lose their relevance and just become another Clovis or what ever it is at hand. I have never bought, sold, nor traded any thing. I have and will give things away every so often, but ask that they be labeled Person Co. NC find. Just for reference to prevent future confusion.
Not your guy, the person I bought it from.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be 50-60 years old. They wear down when grinding together.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see and it sounds correct. How big were these type of balls and were they heavy? I saw a thread that some people thought these type of balls were made by the ancients and destroyed them cause they believed they had gold in the middle. Wouldnt that be nice :laughing9:
Before I check the middle I want to make sure it isnt an artifact.
Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just put it under my MD and it doesnt beep. So no metal is in it. Feels chalky though.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice idea! I just looked and no the old ones have a lot of ridges on them and are wooden. This thing is heavy and solid. I guess between a baseball and a softball in size. Just heavy like stone but feels kinda chalky where the damage is at. The old croquet balls are worth $200 plus and are nice in color not white. Thanks for the thought though it was worth a try. Keep thinking and maybe I will find out.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here you go. I just got back from work. This is the photo same balls which are heavy as well. I acually though they were grenade artifacts. I was about to smash one as well...lol..Anyway
ball 2.jpg

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. I just got back from work. This is the photo same balls which are heavy as well. I acually though they were grenade artifacts. I was about to smash one as well...lol..Anyway
View attachment 673983

So what are those then? Milling balls?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread