Indian Head Effigy authenticated

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted pictures of this head a year or so ago that was found in '73 in a stream running through my backyard in Oak Ridge, TN. I asked if anyone had any knowledge of this type of statue art and opinions varied from geofact to ancient indian to african to I fabricated it.

Took it to the Sardis Relic Show in Oxford, MS this weekend and Jerry Dickey authenticated it as ancient indian origin. Can't wait till the paper gets here. The editor of the Central States Archaeological Journal took pictures and wants to put it in the journal to inquire if anyone else has anything similar or any knowledge of this type of art so look for it in a future issue. I'm sure his photos will come out better than the couple I took a few minutes ago!

I've searched museums from NY to Anchorage and throughout the country and seen nothing similar. Countless hours of research in books and on the internet has turned up nothing like it. Was told at the show to insure it for no less than $10K so I'm excited. Any information anyone has on this object will be appreciated.
Bama Ron

Attachments

• Indian Head Oct.2011 006.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 006.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 005.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 005.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,582
Upvote 0

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
The only info I can give ya is that your find is remarkable,never seen nothing like it ,very very cool,prob. from the late woodland to missisipian time frame.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Artifact!! What is it made of, and could we get a pic of the back of it?

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
That is a great artifact :icon_thumright:, Could we get a photo of the back side ??? ? Is it worked in any way on the backside or is it just the natural stone ??? ? That is very interesting and shows good detail :wink: :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: :hello:.

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the State Geologist in Jackson years ago who stated that it is a man-made material. Someone knowledgeable called it "grog". Basically a concrete-like material. Same thing you'd make pottery out of I was told. It's very light for it's size which is the same or slightly larger than a human head.

For years I thought it must be some sort of volcanic stone but the geologist stated from the beginning that it was not a rock native to Tennessee . He did some acid tests and things of that nature to confirm it was man-made material.

Here are a few back and side pics. It's roughly 6" in depth at its thickest location. You can clearly see a ear on that side of the head. Some of the light areas on the back are from a relative of mine "who borrowed it for 7 or 8 years without asking" is the best way to put it. He was using it for a door stop in a old country house with wooden floors and the sliding back and forth over time eroded some of the backside. For years after it disappeared from my parents home I wondered where it was and was discussing it with another relative when he stated " your cousin _____ has one just like it in his collection." I called cousin ___ who also happened to be a law enforcement officer, described it and stated that I wanted it back. He said it was the centerpiece of his collection at which time I told him I'd be at the county sheriffs dept in the morning charging him with stolen property. He paused for a minute and said "come get it". I was there in 15 minutes and haven't parted with it since.

Attachments

• Indian Head Oct.2011 010.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 010.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 010.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 010.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 011.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 011.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 012.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 012.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 013.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 013.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Indian Head Oct.2011 014.jpg
    Indian Head Oct.2011 014.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,158

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool piece, I went back and saw your first post about this piece and the pictures made all the difference. I could see how someone said geofact on the first set.

So was it made from wet 'grog' and then dried or carved from dried 'grog'? Aside from drilled pottery discs and the occasional oblong thing made from broken pottery, you don't see a lot of carved pottery in the US.

If you let them drip acid on it, maybe you should look into thermoluminescent testing. If it's pottery it would tell you when it was fired.

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Looks like ya got a very nice celt lying there as well,wouldnt mind seeing some pics of it too,was it found in the same area?

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WV,

Celt came from a site near the Miss. River below Clarksdale, MS (where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil).

I've got some smaller ones but this is the biggest. 9" with pec marks and nice polish on the end. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• celt (9) 2011 001.jpg
    celt (9) 2011 001.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • celt (9) 2011 002.jpg
    celt (9) 2011 002.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • celt (9) 2011 004.jpg
    celt (9) 2011 004.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,058
OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'll get a kick out of this targe. The relative who "borrowed" the head was with the Butler County Sheriffs Department during those years. The head was near Georgiana during the "lost years". I was lucky to get it back.

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Very nice celt thanx 4 the pics :headbang: as for the effigy head ,id have done the EXACT same thing you did,whats yours is yours ,simple as that :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread