The bad news at the Sardis Show...

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I got good news on my indian head at the show (new avitar), the clovis point I was using as my previous avitar was turned down by Jerry Dickey as being authentic. He stated it appears to be treated with acid. I was told that by someone else knowledgeable in artifacts but was hopeing it was authentic and maybe had come from a region with acidic soil. I had purchased this years ago from a lady who mainly deals in old post cards, calendars, etc... This is the only "artifact" I am aware of her selling before or since but you have to believe the experts. Here's a picture of a "acid washed point".
Had less than $50 invested in it so it wasn't a major hit to the pocketbook but buyer beware!!!
Bama Ron

Attachments

• brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 759
  • brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 703
Upvote 0

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Interesting story. It's a very pretty point either way.
Why do you suppose someone would wash a point in acid? I would imagine to make it look older... but if you were trying to make a stone piece look older I think you'd be better off just tumbling it or rubbing dirt on it, no?

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
and Tree!! you have been told many times by the ones that know what they are talking about here on Tnet that you were throwing away the sale value ever time you used acid. ten, twenty, thirty or more years buying and saleing artifacts they learn what works. it may not be the same acid but newbes check with somebody in the artifact business a long time if they will buy acid washed artifacts, please Terry

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Bama!! your clovis could still be real, just acid or wrong acid washed, would leave same look on ten thousand year old clovis as it would on a ten year old fake, can not tell the difference. Terry

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first thought was that someone tried to clean it. Acid is used by rockhounds to clean quartz, agates, etc. of mineral deposits. I could easily see how Caliche (a hardened deposit of calcium carbonate), or a unappealing patina could form on an artifiact that is that old in the right soil conditions. I'd try talk to some more experts before dismissing it as a fake...

Rich.

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. I agree with the ones that think it's authentic. I've been collecting for 42 of my 52 years and I honestly do not think it's modern. But if it's not paper-able then how can I claim it authentic?

I think it possibly came from a region with acidic soil and I wonder if that is responsible for its "acid washed" look.

Is it possible to have this point authenticated if it was cleaned with acid? If it was cleaned with acid, that shouldn't take away from the fact that it's a clovis type.

I plan on having other authenticators look at it in the future and will also take it to some in-state university archaeologists to get their opinion. I thought experts could look under a microscope and / or tell by the type of flakeing if it is ancient or not. Maybe not. I haven't completely given up hope yet. Thanks again.

Bama Ron

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Bama Ron,

There were several knappers/patinators who 'aged' their points with that acid wash many years ago. Sometimes they left it like that, sometimes they would soak it in motor oil and bake it, or treat it with other chemicals/methods. The issue with them is that the flaking isn't correct for a true clovis (or any fluted point for that matter) and under a scope you can see how quickly strong acids/caustic compounds corroded the surface vs how very weak acids affect materials over thousands of years.

What you see there is the result of hydrofluoric acid, a compound which is made in a lab and not found in nature. You can buy it at Walmart for less than $10, just ask for glass etching cream.

Not trying to be negative, but you'll spend a lot of money on COA's and still have what most serious collectors would know as a fake point. I have no doubt you can find someone who will paper it, but that won't make it authentic.

Joshua

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your comments and think I'll toss this one in the back of my desk drawer and just call it a $50 dollar lesson. I haven't put it in a frame till this point because I wasn't sure of it's authenticity but I'm convinced now that it has "issues". The flaking is what threw me off but I do know there are some skilled modern knappers out there.

I very rarely purchase artifacts. If I do, it's at a relic show and it's from the $5 or $10 box and I buy those to give to nieces and nephews or friends. ( I hate giving away the ones I find!) That $50 was the most I've ever spent on a relic. I always had the feeling it was too good to be true. I'll just keep walking creeks and fields.
Bama Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread