indian relic?? new member needs help IDing...

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could use some help identifying this "indian head". Found this in 1974 in a creek bank running thru my neighborhood in Oak Ridge, Tn. Showed it to the head of archaeology for the state of MS and to Dr. Janet Rafferty at Miss. State Univ., also state Geologist in MS. Dr. Rafferty thought it might be a form of statue art.

Apparently the object is made from "grog"?, not sure of spelling but the same material pottery was made of. The head is life-size and eyes, ears, nose and mouth features are clearly visible though the picture quality is not that good.

I've been to museums from coast to coast and have never seen anything like it. Any opinions and who would be a good person to have it authenticated for me. Appreciate your help.
Bama Ron

Attachments

• indian head 336.jpg
    indian head 336.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
To add to the controversy about the face,there have been alot of discoveries of pre-columbian contact with other cultures, besides northern European...possibly Phoenician or Egyptian...definate hints of african facial features...just my opinion, tho....

Hey, Love that "Sarah Palin Blade"!! I think its prolly authentic, but you gotta realize that the aborigines in that part of the country were using flint and slate until the beginning of the 20th century. I once saw a documentary where Russian whales were attacked by natives with stone tipped spears..just food for thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread