Indian Stone Artifacts?

turkeysticks

Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found all three of these rocks in the same area, each weighing about 20 lbs. I don't know if they are anything noteworthy but thought I'd post. They were found about 200 yards away from a known indian mound in Iowa, in a creek bed. The broader area is is several hundred acres of timber.

The angular rock just seemed too angular not to be something man-made. The lines are straight and the sides flat with each end angling to an edge. I'm sure nature could produce such a rock but I just thought one side or maybe two sides would be flat with straight edges, not every side. This thing has clean, straight lines

The "big key" was another bizarre find, to me at least. The long narrow part again has fairly flat equal sides and the rock comes to a dull point. Maybe, and probably, not a significant find but I found it interesting.

The last rock seems to have handles on each side, areas where hands just fit. The back side is flat and about 2.5 inches wide. The front narrows to a scalloped edge along what I would call the front of the rock. It seems like a tool somebody would have used to grind material in a pulling fashion, perhaps to sand wood stakes or posts.

Take a look and let me know what you think. All of the rocks are igneous and appear to have a fair amount of iron in them. The pics didn't come through in the order I attached them but you'll be able to tell the pics I'm talking about above. IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 1

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nature does interesting things, what you have are just rocks, we all find them all the time.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nature does interesting things, what you have are just rocks, we all find them all the time.
Sorry, Turkeysticks..........have to agree with Unclemac........nature made. Don't give up, though..........Indian relics are out there for you!!:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are rocks. .. Mother nature forms zillions of rocks that man's imagination sees something in but they are still just rocks....

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
when you are trying to identify something, it's like this....Indian artifacts fall into two categories...#1, it is obviously made by man but I don't know for sure what it was used for (plummets)...or...#2, I know it was worked and I can tell what it is used for at a glance (pestles). there really isn't a #3, "I don't if it was worked and I don't know what it was used for".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions