kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I haven't had much luck with silver this year, but I have found some really cool things. This button came out of an old picnic or fairgrounds near my house. It is the same one where I found the Ohio Civil War volunteer medal. I'm not used to finding buttons. The front is the seal of Indiana and the back is looped with a name and state. If you have any ideas of the age of the button or what kind of garment it might have come from, I would love to hear.

HH, Don

Attachments

• InButton.jpg
    InButton.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 277
  • ButtonBack.jpg
    ButtonBack.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 263

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Just saw this. it's a cool button. The button actually dates 1866 to the 1890's. Any Steele and Johnson backmark with Waterbury, Waterbury CT or MFG Co is post civil war.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Just saw this. it's a cool button. The button actually dates 1866 to the 1890's. Any Steele and Johnson backmark with Waterbury, Waterbury CT or MFG Co is post civil war.
Yea didn't have a book vanyank54 or nothing to tell me other then the site.Which I see I got wrong to with what it says!Should had said the second one would had been closer! :thumbsup:
STEELE & JOHNSON 1858-1875
STEELE & JOHNSON MFG CO. 1875-1920

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
That's cool timekiller. I really dislike a lot of those sites as a lot of them have wrong info. I don't always agree with the books either. Going by what I've seen dug and what I''ve learned in 40 years I know some of the stuff is wrong. I'm still learning stuff about buttons everyday though.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vayank54 said:
That's cool timekiller. I really dislike a lot of those sites as a lot of them have wrong info. I don't always agree with the books either. Going by what I've seen dug and what I''ve learned in 40 years I know some of the stuff is wrong. I'm still learning stuff about buttons everyday though.
It's like having a history book :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions