infinium LS or Explorer SE

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I have been researching about a new detector, Infinium LS or the Explorer SE are of major intrest.
Now I need help from you guys and gals whats your experience on/with these detectors?

I am searching for a detector with "deep hole all over the garden" type.A (good) all-round detector.

My major intrests are relic hunting (coins, trash, nails etc :D ) and electronic prospecting (Nugget shooting)
I need a "strong/rough detector, nothing that I sneeze on and it breaks. (you get it..)

Thanks! ;D

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually you need to look at something else besides these machines. The infinium is a PI in which discrimination is rudimentary. It has 2 tone ID which is similar to my GS5. An incredibly underrated machine- a great PI for a 1000 bucks. Yes you can use it for prospecting.water hunting and even relic hunting. Great for mineralized ground and will be superior in depths to VLFs in mineralized ground .However if you are used to great iron discrimination and metal id which VLFs have you will be disappointed. Not something I will recommend to a newbie but for a competent, experienced user that knows exactly what he is buying and what this machine can and can't do. There are tricks employed similar to my GS5 for metal id but remeber you only have 2 tones-hi and a lo tone to guide you- no digital and no discrimination- just tone id.

Who can dispute the advantage the SE has for relic and coin hunting. However it is not designed for gold nugget hunting. Minelab is not lacking in other models designed for gold nugget hunting.

There are only a few models which go both ways-nugget/coin relic-Mxt, Tesoros LST, Minelab's X-70- These are the models you should be looking at.

MY 2 CENTS
George

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The LS has another kind of disc.(look at some pics and you'll se)
I have read about them a lot, and i am still reading.
The mineralized ground is antoher factor of why I choose these, we have "hard terrain", lots of hot rocks at my home where I will be practecing before going to a beach. I am prepared to dig it all, I have no problem with that.Done it before.
I have looked at other machines, and these where those who seemed to be good.But I will look at those you posted.

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Mr Bakergeol, in your opinion, what is the best detector for small gold in highly mineralized area. I have several sites in Virginia that have tailing piles, etc. I have not had any luck with my ML GP-3000. If anyone can provide any info, I would appreciate it. Also, I am considering the Explorer SE for relic and CW hunting. Any comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks, RuffandTuff

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
RuffandTuff said:
Mr Bakergeol, in your opinion, what is the best detector for small gold in highly mineralized area. I have several sites in Virginia that have tailing piles, etc. I have not had any luck with my ML GP-3000. If anyone can provide any info, I would appreciate it. Also, I am considering the Explorer SE for relic and CW hunting. Any comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks, RuffandTuff

I would go with a GoldBug 2 for the smallest gold for just a gold machine only-MXT for a combo unit but that just my opinion. Your GP3000 is one Hell of a machine but VLFs like the GB2 are just more sensitive for the tinest pieces of gold which you probably have in Virginia. I also wonder how much iron you have to deal with - more iron- more pain with a PI like the GP3000. In addition, if you are dealing with non solid pieces of specimen gold- a PI may have trouble detecting them whereas a good VLF has no problem. These GPs were made for AZ or OZ where there is little iron where they search with high mineralization. They are superior to VLFs at these locations and all experienced gold hunters use the GPs in AZ and OZ. However, it you are dealing with a lot of iron or trash such as Ganes Creek AK(MXT dominates here)- VLF have the advantage because they can ID iron. Your GP3000 can also be used for relic hunting- the tones can ID buttons and bullets but still a lot of iron and you will be digging deep holes.

So you can see there is no one gold machine that can excel in all areas.

I thought my Explorer 11 was the best pure coin machine I ever used.

Good Luck
George

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, anyone else?
Bakergeol do you have experience with these detectors? I would like to hear What's good and bad with these detectors
(Infinium LS and Explorer SE)

Willy

I had an Infinium for a couple of years and it DOES have the ability to match a VLF in good finds when hunting through dense iron trash. The thing is, you'll be digging different iron trash than you would with a VLF. In mineralized soil, a VLF generally gets less accurate at ID/Disc. as the depth of a target increases. Thus, deep iron (especially large) often reads as a good target whereas good targets will read as iron. The Infinium doesn't seem to have this handicap. A deep target will read the same (for the most part) as a shallow target, except fainter. The thing is, the Infinium requires a LOT of patience to master and it gets to be rather hard on the ears/brain listening to hi-lo lo-hi tones all day. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okej, thanks Willy.

gets to be rather hard on the ears/brain listening to hi-lo lo-hi tones all day
:D Yes, kind of boring you mean, to hear all the same whole day. ;)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an LS for a while and got rid of it mainly because of the sounds...drove me nuts.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:D Tony, I already have a guy in polen who I by from because he is "safe", I trust him..It's closer and I get can a discount from him to.. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread