Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
...Badger ....I posted some were else about the ..Garrett Infinium...But i put a post here in case you do not see it I have no news i know nothing I have posted Questions about the ..Infinium.. but get no replys..I have asked the Garrett user john-edmond the user from Canada and he got back to me here it is.....I was at a site were they post all about the ..Infinium..but i can not recall where it was...It was called ...Garrett Infinium...Or something Or garrett Infinum prospector..if i find it again i will get it to you....There were some posts on it were they have used it.. in tot lots.& .parks. And have had good luck with it so it might be OK..............BADGER IN TREASURE NET UNDER PROSPECTING THEN UNDER...NUGGET HUNTING....You will see my Infinium post only down about 2 spots and some one gave the Infinuim web site there go in to it the first one listed,,,you will see tot lots and coins ect in diffrent places they seem to like it.................But i saw in one place that Tony from TCdetectors did not like it but he was comparing it to vlf detectors it did not make any sence to .me..........................................................==Jim==...............Badger John got back to me go down one............

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I am back....I had your email, then it went into cyberspace???. It's been a hectic last couple of weeks. Too much overtime at the hospital, kids concerts, Christmas etc. The Infinium forum you were at is:

[/color=green]

And here is a recent response about the Infinium which will hopefully answer some questions....

"The Infinium does have some discrimination characteristics. It's not like an accumulative type or notch found on VLF type detectors. In fact, the Infinium is entirely different then any other type of detector. What the Infinium can do as far as discrimination is concerned, is give a tone HIGH-LOW for iron, aluminum and gold. It also gives off a LOW-HIGH signal for silver, copper and again iron. So iron and other junk is always the wild card in both types of signals, as it is a Pulse Induction type of detector. However, the Infinium also comes with an iron check, which again helps with getting a better probability of what type (iron or not?) target it is. Now the Infinium has a bit of a learning curve, and if you are new to metal detecting and lack basic theory on how the machines operate, don't buy one. It will be a lesson in frustration for you.

Now having said that, other little techniques are on your learning curve to be discovered. For instance, the smoothness/roughness of the tone gives a hint as to whether it is an iron rusted target or not. The "Sustain" length of time that the Infinium gives after reading a target gives you a hint as to its size. The Infinium gives a double bleep on bobby pins and wire. So......if you only want to dig gold, only dig the HIGH-LOW signals. That removes a lot of signals that you can leave in the ground. Also, use the iron check, which even cuts out more targets. If you want to dig mostly coins, including old deep silver, dig only the LOW-HIGH signals. Again....use the iron check.

Is the Infinium the holy grail of detectors? No it isn't. It's a PI and loves iron, like all PI's. Iron can not be discriminated out like a VLF detector. But it goes DEEP! It must be ground balanced and a proper frequency must be picked for maxamum performance. I have pulled rings out at over 14 inches with a nice strong signal. It is one of (if not the) deepest machines available. It was designed to get gold in some of the highest mineralized soils in the world. It works in all salt water/beach environments and is water proof too.

Is it a good coin shooter? Perhaps, but only in areas where there are few targets. It's not practical for park environments, as it picks up all metals, even those that your VLF will miss. I have had some success using it in the woods, digging only the LOW-HIGH signals. It should also perform well at relic hunting too.

Where it worked best for me was in hunted out beaches where most of the targets had been removed. The best beach hunters dig ALL targets. The Infinium isn't for everyone, and is not a do it all detector. But if you give it the time it deserves to learn it properly, and use it in its proper environment, it is a killer. I have my best gold ring year ever in 15 years using this machine."

INFINIUMONLYRINGS2.jpg

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
John-Edmonton said:
I am back....I had your email, then it went into cyberspace???. It's been a hectic last couple of weeks. Too much overtime at the hospital, kids concerts, Christmas etc. The Infinium forum you were at is:

[/color=green]

And here is a recent response about the Infinium which will hopefully answer some questions....

"The Infinium does have some discrimination characteristics. It's not like an accumulative type or notch found on VLF type detectors. In fact, the Infinium is entirely different then any other type of detector. What the Infinium can do as far as discrimination is concerned, is give a tone HIGH-LOW for iron, aluminum and gold. It also gives off a LOW-HIGH signal for silver, copper and again iron. So iron and other junk is always the wild card in both types of signals, as it is a Pulse Induction type of detector. However, the Infinium also comes with an iron check, which again helps with getting a better probability of what type (iron or not?) target it is. Now the Infinium has a bit of a learning curve, and if you are new to metal detecting and lack basic theory on how the machines operate, don't buy one. It will be a lesson in frustration for you.

Now having said that, other little techniques are on your learning curve to be discovered. For instance, the smoothness/roughness of the tone gives a hint as to whether it is an iron rusted target or not. The "Sustain" length of time that the Infinium gives after reading a target gives you a hint as to its size. The Infinium gives a double bleep on bobby pins and wire. So......if you only want to dig gold, only dig the HIGH-LOW signals. That removes a lot of signals that you can leave in the ground. Also, use the iron check, which even cuts out more targets. If you want to dig mostly coins, including old deep silver, dig only the LOW-HIGH signals. Again....use the iron check.

Is the Infinium the holy grail of detectors? No it isn't. It's a PI and loves iron, like all PI's. Iron can not be discriminated out like a VLF detector. But it goes DEEP! It must be ground balanced and a proper frequency must be picked for maxamum performance. I have pulled rings out at over 14 inches with a nice strong signal. It is one of (if not the) deepest machines available. It was designed to get gold in some of the highest mineralized soils in the world. It works in all salt water/beach environments and is water proof too.

Is it a good coin shooter? Perhaps, but only in areas where there are few targets. It's not practical for park environments, as it picks up all metals, even those that your VLF will miss. I have had some success using it in the woods, digging only the LOW-HIGH signals. It should also perform well at relic hunting too.

Where it worked best for me was in hunted out beaches where most of the targets had been removed. The best beach hunters dig ALL targets. The Infinium isn't for everyone, and is not a do it all detector. But if you give it the time it deserves to learn it properly, and use it in its proper environment, it is a killer. I have my best gold ring year ever in 15 years using this machine."

INFINIUMONLYRINGS2.jpg
.....John....Thanks for the input and the information Badger and i are both getting one but can not get any info on them from some one that used one...............thanks again.....................==Jim==

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks much Jim and John.

I can't wait to get my Infinium. I already have a pretty good idea about how it will work for me.

I'm not getting it with the idea it will replace the VLF. I'm thinking it will have limited but effective useage.

I know some small swimming holes I'd love to try it at.

Badger

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Thanks much Jim and John.

I can't wait to get my Infinium. I already have a pretty good idea about how it will work for me.

I'm not getting it with the idea it will replace the VLF. I'm thinking it will have limited but effective useage.

I know some small swimming holes I'd love to try it at.

Badger
.....Yes....Badger.... It sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun to learn and use................and it will not replace my VLF there are places for the VLF and places for the PI.....................==Jim==

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I use the Infinium for water and the Sovereign for dry and wet beach areas. I like them both but I don't believe you can beat the Infinium for water hunting. The depth is unreal and its ID tone system really lets you know what is possible gold and possible silver. I don't dig silver signals unless I am really having a slow day. Gives me more time to keep trying to find that next gold. Get ready to dig some deep holes and don't drown yourself in one of them.

The PI is a completely different animal but I have really enjoyed mine in the water. I tried some limited land hunting for relics and it probably would do well in areas with little iron trash but the area where I was hunting was full of small rusty nails I could not tell good or bad of them even with the Iron Check feature. That feature does work with larger iron but not those wiry heavily oxidized nails. I guess I dug about 30 nails in a small area before I went back to my Sovereign for relic hunting. The Infinium would be the ticket to look for gold in rivers and streams and in other areas where trash iron content may not be very high.

Good luck. I look forward to reading how you do with it.

Jim

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
DaChief said:
Hey guys. I use the Infinium for water and the Sovereign for dry and wet beach areas. I like them both but I don't believe you can beat the Infinium for water hunting. The depth is unreal and its ID tone system really lets you know what is possible gold and possible silver. I don't dig silver signals unless I am really having a slow day. Gives me more time to keep trying to find that next gold. Get ready to dig some deep holes and don't drown yourself in one of them.

The PI is a completely different animal but I have really enjoyed mine in the water. I tried some limited land hunting for relics and it probably would do well in areas with little iron trash but the area where I was hunting was full of small rusty nails I could not tell good or bad of them even with the Iron Check feature. That feature does work with larger iron but not those wiry heavily oxidized nails. I guess I dug about 30 nails in a small area before I went back to my Sovereign for relic hunting. The Infinium would be the ticket to look for gold in rivers and streams and in other areas where trash iron content may not be very high.

Good luck. I look forward to reading how you do with it.

Jim
......DaChief.....I hope to use it some time soon right now we have about 14 inches of snow on the ground..and cold my drive way is a sheet of ice......................==Jim==

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is cold there. I am in Florida and we are getting into the 20's tonight and maybe the teens tomorrow night. Good news is that we will probably be back in the 70's by weeks end. I hope to hit the water before the end of the month at least once.

Good talking with you.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Hi all,

I also use the Infinium and really like it! The Infinium is amazing when used in the right situation. I use my VLF in trashy areas on the beach and the pulse in the water. The tone system with the reverse discrimination and "iron-check" do work and help with deciding what or what not to dig up. The disc is not as good as a VLF but it does help and is a real bonus for a PI machine! Once you start to learn the different sounds (ear training) with the features of the detector, you'll start to appreciate what this machine is all about! It's not a beginner's machine but if you take the time to really learn it, it's lethal when used in the right environment! I've dug DEEP coins and jewelry missed from other top of the line machines with strong signals to boot! It also works well in sanded in areas and works great with the 8" mono-coils. The machine needs to be adjusted correctly (very sensitive) to work properly and good tips for this are on the link that John-Edmonton provided (read the posts and print them out)!!! You have a super selection of coils you can switch on the fly and land or under water phones too! It's also built like a tank and is probably the toughest built detector I've ever seen! I would not recommend it as a solo machine (only machine owned) but think it's great as part of a water hunting combo with a good VLF.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
...Well ....DaChief....&.... Indasurf......I will be finding out i have one just waiting for the weather to break to try it out.But who knows when that will be??? Talk to you later.....==Jim==

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
John-Edmonton,

The best post ever on the Garrett Infi! Thanks for your insight on that detector. We are all waiting to hear from Badger after he gets his Infi. Don't you just love Tnet! Joe

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
John-Edmonton,

The best post ever on the Garrett Infi! Thanks for your insight on that detector. We are all waiting to hear from Badger after he gets his Infi. Don't you just love Tnet! Joe

This is a great thread and we all need to keep threads like this going. I'd like to see John-Edmonton have a special thread just for this topic. I believe this to be the really great break we've all been wanting to see and didn't realize it's already here. Some misguided and biased press in the early days of the Infinium drove us all off in the wrong direction.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread