Info about utilitarian artifacts

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
I’m curious as to everyone’s opinion on the more utilitarian artifacts. Personally, I find them more interesting than all the points and blades. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the points and blades, but it seems to me that the everyday tools like fire starters, abraders, boiling stones, grinding stones etc., add a whole different level of humanity to the relic. I have seen very few of these items, even in museum collections they seem to be rare. Are they not as interesting to others, overlooked at sites, or just that rare of a find? I’d like to know your thoughts and see pics of your utilitarian artifacts if you have any.

Upvote 7

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree with you. these are often overlooked relics in many collections.

I find a lot of thumb and flake scrapers. not sure if that's due a high number of them or past field walkers discounted them.

I have many what I consider amazing hammer stones and relics like those.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
20240106_094642.jpg

this is the largest hammer stone I have ever found. bar none.
it's big for a hammer stone at about 4 inches in diameter and it's relatively round.
20240106_094636.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
That fire bow is incredible! What a find. I love the hammer rock too. Thank you for sharing this. I was lucky enough to find one also. About the same size. I stumbled onto a campsite/workshop in a creek, the bank had collapsed. Other than a preform there were no points but everything else that goes along with camp sites.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted these in the past, but here is a metate found in northern Idaho by a family member, also a mano I found in Missouri. Just some tools that everyday people used for generations to process food to feed their families and survive. I enjoy the day to day parts of history, it’s what makes the past relatable for me.
1A8ACC23-95C7-4D98-B5A3-2840A26E4C14.jpeg
1F3C654F-8A65-4CF4-9966-4A6850482E30.jpeg
1CFEBE00-8F01-4B00-9D81-8F86407AC6C5.jpeg
0C2687F0-2E45-45F1-8465-7C6065007521.jpeg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point and blades are utilitarian objects, well the vast majority of them are anyways.

OP
OP
J

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
I have posted these in the past, but here is a metate found in northern Idaho by a family member, also a mano I found in Missouri. Just some tools that everyday people used for generations to process food to feed their families and survive. I enjoy the day to day parts of history, it’s what makes the past relatable for me. View attachment 2128648 View attachment 2128649 View attachment 2128650 View attachment 2128651
That metate is nice. That's exactly how I feel. Even when it comes to historic items.

OP
OP
J

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
The point and blades are utilitarian objects, well the vast majority of them are anyways.
Yeah, technically you are correct. Especially on the knives and scrapers. I guess I see them more as a consumable rather than something something that would be a household item like fire starters, etc.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted these in the past, but here is a metate found in northern Idaho by a family member, also a mano I found in Missouri. Just some tools that everyday people used for generations to process food to feed their families and survive. I enjoy the day to day parts of history, it’s what makes the past relatable for me. View attachment 2128648 View attachment 2128649 View attachment 2128650 View attachment 2128651
Real nice artifacts, thanks for the look

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found a few pieces in my yard that I believe could be tools of some sort of Native American origin. I am not an authority by any means. I have found a few broken arrow heads of white quartz. I live in Georgia. I'll try and post a few pic's in the near future and see what you who are in the know think.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know how to tell a hammer stone from just a nice round rock? I ask because if I saw that hammer stone on the ground, I'd probably not realize it was an artifact of any kind. What are the things to look for?
Both ends of the one I posted are battered from use, In person you can also see a color difference in the used area and the rock itself,also the rock is smooth except on used ends. once youve seen a few youll know the difference,its hard to catch it in a picture, where im at they made round ones also with a divot on both sides for gripping and along the edge you can see use wear.I have smaller ones that over time take on a round shape some even take on the shape of a ball confused with game stones sometimes, well i shouldve confused by now lol.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both ends of the one I posted are battered from use, In person you can also see a color difference in the used area and the rock itself,also the rock is smooth except on used ends. once youve seen a few youll know the difference,its hard to catch it in a picture, where im at they made round ones also with a divot on both sides for gripping and along the edge you can see use wear.I have smaller ones that over time take on a round shape some even take on the shape of a ball confused with game stones sometimes, well i shouldve confused by now lol.
Awesome, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread