Sunday Morning 01/21/24 How ancient earthen structures in Ohio became a UNESCO World Heritage Site

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
SEE THE VIDEO HERE on "Sunday Morning" (January 21)

HISTORY: How ancient earthen structures in Ohio became a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Video)
Scattered throughout Central Ohio are earthworks that are believed to have been constructed by ancient indigenous people for ceremonial or spiritual purposes up to two thousand years ago. Several, including some burial mounds, are protected as part of Hopewell Culture National Historical Park. And now, they have been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Correspondent Conor Knighton explores the grandeur of these mysterious complexes.

For more info:

Upvote 4
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
my wife and I went by serpent mound a few years ago and I enjoyed that. walked around a lot

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
every year when I go to collinsville, I stop by cahokia mounds. we were just there three weeks ago.

the museum is still closed, after at least 3 years of being closed.

the web site says for renovation. that's a major renovation.

back in the 70s when I would make the drive every month to visit my son, I would stop. back then the museum was in the small building on the north side of 66, close to monks mound.

I don't think it took them 3 years to build the new facility back then.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These were found along the Scioto River in a field literally next to the National Hopewell Mound complex on Rt 104. Intrusive Mound points in my opinion so a little after the Hopewell Culture. Found in the 70's.
Screenshot_20240122_072131_Photos.jpg

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought is that this culture (2000 years ago) lived in prosperous times. They had the luxury of spending time and energy THINKING about things other than survival. Not true for many of the tribes of ancient men and women.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread