Information of Calavary Rosettes.

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked these up from a guy and neither of us knew much about them other than they are from horse bridles from the US Calvary. I was wondering if anyone knows how old these are and if they are rare. The little ones are 1 1/4" in diameter and are crimped to leather and the larger ones both have loops on the back and are 1 3/4" in diameter. I appreciate any response and information on them. Thanks!

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to find an example that would give a date, but I didn't have any luck. I will tell you what I think is correct, but I am not willing to lay any money on it. The great seal rosette came along in 1902, so you are for sure older than that. I have always been told that the ones with the tin covering on the back are post civil war. The smaller ones may have come off the blinders.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with duggap, Cavalry weren't the only horses, also harness for teams pulling artillery, supply wagons, ambulances etc. had the US rosettes. At one time I had a set of harness
from probably the 20'2 or 30's and it had US rosettes on it, not the great seal.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread