Wrought iron ring

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a site that dates back to the early 1700's; it is exactly two inches in diameter. The ring has a width of 1/4 inch and is flat. My guess would be that it is some sort of 18th century buckle but I really don't know. Any input is appreciated.

2015-05-28_08.58.17.jpg

2015-05-28_09.00.37.jpg

2015-05-28_08.59.52.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a lot of things. Was it all rusted when you found it or did it have that black iron look to it?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking that it looks a lot like this: Antique Colonial Revolutionary War Era Iron Wrought Belt Buckle with Makers Mark | eBay
I saw several examples of the same buckle style at various web sites; all referred to them as 18th century relics.

Trouble is, if you go to a modern day rendezvous, where reinactors shoot muzzle loaders and camp in pre 1840 type of camps, there is always a blacksmith or two there hand making buckles just like the one shown, forge welded and all. In fact I think I have one in my stuff someplace.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I must admit my first thought was saddle cinch buckle.

DCMatt

That's my first thought also. looks like a latigo ring off a saddle.

1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trouble is, if you go to a modern day rendezvous, where reinactors shoot muzzle loaders and camp in pre 1840 type of camps, there is always a blacksmith or two there hand making buckles just like the one shown, forge welded and all. In fact I think I have one in my stuff someplace.

Not the case here. This was found at a residential construction site that is not near a battle or campsite. It was heavily encrusted with rust & I have found roundballs & flat buttons nearby.

Upvote 0

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I find these fairly frequently, particularly at early colonial sites (pre-1750). These metal rings were used as a support or frame for cloth or fabric buttons, and I dug several examples last season. The ones I find generally run between 24-26mm in diameter. What size is yours? A couple I found late last season can be seen in the pics below.

040415a.jpg

040215a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ya. You didn't dare head out on the frontier with any sizable expedition without a couple blacksmith. If you wanted to go with J C Fremont you would first have to demonstrate your abilities to the man, before you'd even be considered for the task and in the end demonstrate your craft in a contest against the other potential prospects to be finally selected to join the expedition.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread