Information on what to do.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been trying to list some petty .99 cent items on ebay to get some positive rating, just started and only sold 3 items so far. Unfortunately it is not off to a great start. 1 item left a positive feedback, 1 left no feedback, and the 3rd person won a bid on 3/28 and as of today still has not paid. On 3/30 i sent them a friendly reminder that the item will be shipped when payment was received (assuming they forgot they bid on it). The buyer sent back a message full of attitude saying they know it won't ship til paid for, and they will never buy from me again. (Bonus me, I think).

So I am very new and how do I handled a person that appears to obviously not want to pay. They buyer only has 88 positive feedbacks (buyer/seller combined). As of today i sent a message through ebay requesting to the buyer to cancel the sale, and put a message in there as buyers remorse basically. Where do i go from here?

Thanks for any help =)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually wait a few days, if not paid by then, send an invoice with a message and ask if there is a problem where they need more time. If they don't communicate, open a non paying bidder case.

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I just started selling about a 4-5 weeks ago. I wait two days, and if the buyer does not pay by then I send the following message "Thank you for your purchase. I will ship the item within two days of receiving payment. Thank you"

I had to send the message three times out of about 30 sales and the buyer paid each time within 24 hours.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a 3-strikes-and-you're-out policy. All my listings specify payment is expected within 3 days of auction closing. BIN items require immediate payment. Most people pay right away but if I don't get paid within 3 days, STRIKE 1. Then they get an invoice with a friendly reminder. I give them another 3 - 7 days after sending the invoice. If no payment, STRIKE 2. At that point, they get a polite but firm message reminding them how long it has been since the item closed and payment is expected with 3 days or an Unpaid Item case will be open. If no payment within 3 - 7 days, STRIKE 3. At that point, I open the Unpaid Item case and make no further attempts to contact the buyer because I don't have time for deadbeats.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dont get payment within 24-48 hours I send an invoice. If it has been 3-4 days and still no communication I will send an email asking if they are still interested in the item and to remind them that the terms of the sale included payment within 48 hours. If still no communication and no payment I will open a case after approx 5 days. In todays technological age where many people get email on their phones instantly, I don't have much patience for people ignoring me and wasting my time.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dont get payment within 24-48 hours I send an invoice. If it has been 3-4 days and still no communication I will send an email asking if they are still interested in the item and to remind them that the terms of the sale included payment within 48 hours. If still no communication and no payment I will open a case after approx 5 days. In todays technological age where many people get email on their phones instantly, I don't have much patience for people ignoring me and wasting my time.
Yeah pretty much the same thing here. Send an invoice after 2 days, open a case after 4, relist it and at the same time add them to my blocked bidder list.
Here is the part of that disclaimer that I have on all my listings-

Payment is expected within 4 days of auction close, unless other arrangements have been made. If payment has not been received and there has been no communication from you, the item will automatically be re listed.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be easy... I give them a full 7 days, then a friendly reminder and then the next day I open the case. Seems like I'm opening more and more cases lately. I opened one today on a zero feedback that won two items which are not expensive but still pisses me off.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be easy... I give them a full 7 days, then a friendly reminder and then the next day I open the case. Seems like I'm opening more and more cases lately. I opened one today on a zero feedback that won two items which are not expensive but still pisses me off.

If they havent paid or communicated in 3-4 days, the chances they will pay at all are slim to none. As I said before, I just don't see the need to wait on something that will likely never happen.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wait a week. If someone set a high bid early on I see how you could forget. Its very annoying as a seller. I hate when you sell several things at once and have them all packed and one person waits a week to pay. I guess I would actually welcome a rude email over the prefered no communication at all.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Been trying to list some petty .99 cent items on ebay to get some positive rating, just started and only sold 3 items so far. Unfortunately it is not off to a great start. 1 item left a positive feedback, 1 left no feedback, and the 3rd person won a bid on 3/28 and as of today still has not paid. On 3/30 i sent them a friendly reminder that the item will be shipped when payment was received (assuming they forgot they bid on it). The buyer sent back a message full of attitude saying they know it won't ship til paid for, and they will never buy from me again. (Bonus me, I think).

So I am very new and how do I handled a person that appears to obviously not want to pay. They buyer only has 88 positive feedbacks (buyer/seller combined). As of today i sent a message through ebay requesting to the buyer to cancel the sale, and put a message in there as buyers remorse basically. Where do i go from here?

Thanks for any help =)

First of all, don't take it personally. Ebay has a pretty good system in place to handle non-paying bidders. Use their system in accordance with their clearly written policy on non-payment. It is a minor hassle but you will get your fees refunded and the transaction will be cancelled all by clicking a few buttons and waiting a week or so. Then relist and try again. Easy.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After opening a case through Ebay and offering the buyer a chance to cancel the auction due to "Buyers remorse" they opted to go ahead and pay for the item. Somehow I have a feeling this person isn't done with being a pain in the butt but only time will tell.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a .99 item, forget it and move on! If you care about the little the final value fee cost you file a claim to cancel the transaction saying the buyer changed his mind. It's crazy talking about this like it's a $1,000 item.

Edit: Just read you canceled it, so you already did what you should. To answer your question the only thing you do now is wait until the 7 days or whatever it is for him to answer to the claim, and if he doesn't in that time ebay will close it ruling in your favor.... and then you can relist the item.

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about the sass, it happens. One of my first sales resulted in an extremely pissed off buyer and a case opened against me because "the collar was dirty" on a shirt that I sold. It shook me up at the time, but you'll get used to it. I've actually never had a meaner person interacting with me since, and it has been a while since then. So yeah, it happens, its part of the game. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you block somebody from bidding on your items again, and not having to deal with them anymore?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread