steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F5, great machine.

Go through the manual outside the house and practice with coins and nails and aluminum trash using the examples in the manual. Get familiar with how things are. (inside house is too much electrical interference and metals)

I'd set gain at 60, threshhold at -5, and be sure to ground balance it.

You can run all metal mode which runs deeper because the discrimination circuitry is not being used. Discrimination though allows you to tell it to ignore certain metals like steel nails. Problem there is jewelry and gold coins tend to come up the same as some trash you will get tired of digging. Number of tones is used with discrimination, if you get tired of one tone all the time, it will make one tone on a quarter, and another tone on trash, another tone on a penny.

Best advice I can give, is to go through the examples in the book using different coins and objects and get familiar with the all metal and discrimination modes. And practice "pinpointing" in your yard for accuracy and depth.
Depending upon the size of the object detected, the depth reading may be wrong because it is a large object and the discrimination circuitry is calibrated for coin size objects.

It takes two 9V alkaline batteries, buy good ones, and get some spares just in case.

Any questions, ask away, lot of F5 users here willing to help. There are no dumb questions, I've asked them all!

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rechargeable batteries:

I've never tried them, the manual states 9V alkaline batteries only on pages 1 and 4; the manual doesn't mention rechargeable batteries, but I'd guess it wouldn't hurt anything.

I've had my F5 for over a year, it's on it's second set of batteries I think. All these new detectors are pretty good on batteries, I recently got an old Garrett that uses eight AA batteries, it's still running on the first set I put in it.

Odd, the manual to my F75LTD says rechargeable batteries are fine.

I'd say go for it but be careful, I did some reading around that some rechargeables are a bigger in size, don't break the battery compartment in the F5, it won't give much.

HH

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice to start out with getting ur feet wet I love the face set up on the f5 in my opinion they should have used the carbon fiber look on the 75ltd or se lol

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice to start out with getting ur feet wet I love the face set up on the f5 in my opinion they should have used the carbon fiber look on the 75ltd or se lol

The F5 is my favorite for user interface. Few if any menus navigate, everything right there with the knobs.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand. The online manual for the F5, on the front page in bold type in a black box says "Use ALKALINE Batteries ONLY". Is Fisher pulling our legs - just teasing us - or have a stake in the alkaline battery conglomerate? Do you think that statement is made because of an electrical (voltage/amperage) reason, or a size reason? Rechargeables are often about 10% to 15% lower voltage than alkalines. I know that is the case with my AA and AAA Sanyo Eneloops. Your unit may "work" but is it working to its maximum potential with rechargeables? Or maybe "maximum potential" isn't an issue or a need.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The manufacturer sells a detector to be operated within certain parameters to be eligible for their warranty. If you go outside those, they have no liability as to warranty. They may work but they will not back your decision if they fail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread