Instant Classic

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
So I go to a new bank today to open an account and the ladies are extremely nice, and I mean just genuinely nice. I start chatting it up with them and eventually opened up about collecting older halves when I can find them. I noticed that their coin machine was currently out of order, and I found out why just a few minutes later. As I was wrapping up the new account process, the personal banker starts explaining to me that a gentlemen came it with around $1000.00 in halves and started trying to dump them in the machine. She said he was talking to them and was very hard up for cash at the time. As he started dumping the halves into the machine, it started to kick them back out. When I asked why, she said they believed the coins were very old, and she said that most of them were the "old actual silver coins" and the machine just didn't want to accept them. Without giving it away, I just immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach. She continued to say she wished I had been there to buy them off of him :-\

There is a good ending to the story. Both the personal banker and the manager both took my phone number and gave me their cards and assured me that if any halves come into the bank they will be glad to call me and hold them for me. This is also going to be one of my new ordering banks. I know it doesn't make logical sense to most, but it is amazing what people will dump when they are hard up for cash.

Enjoy out there and hh,
JJ

Upvote 0

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did she say what they did with them("old actual silver coins")? Sent them away or what? ???

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
K said:
Did she say what they did with them("old actual silver coins")? Sent them away or what? ???

As soon as they started kicking out of the machine, they asked him to stop because the machine stopped working. The man walked away with his coins, because they do not take loose halves.

HH
JJ

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the folks at the bank would mind if you just hung out there all day, in case he comes back? Maybe they have comfy chairs and you could keep yourself occupied for a while. :read2: :coffee2:

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check other banks in the area....he proly just went to another bank.....desperate for cash...

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Yep, Im crazy, but I honestly think this story is worthy of hiring a private detective... find out who this man is... where he lives... and whether or not he ever "cashed" in those old halves..... I cant imagine how u felt cause im sick just reading it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread