insulators, whats the point, whats the attraction

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Where I live there is a long stretch of old abandoned railroad that a local guy who is a friend of my family's bought and turned into a trail for people to walk or ride bikes on. Along the whole stretch the old telegraph poles are still standing. The insulators are still on top of the poles. My brother and I tore down a couple hundred yards of telegraph wire to use for an antenna. I'm sure it would be okay for me to go out and get the insulators down. My question is whats the point of collecting these. Is there a high value for em? Is there a market for them because they would have no value if I had nobody to sell them to. What is it that makes them attractive to some of you guys? I dont understand it so pull me out of the darkness and show me the light because I think it seems kinda strange ??? :icon_scratch:

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
A HUNDRED YEARS AGO, TELEPHONE SYSTEMS WERE STARTING TO CATCH ON
ACROSS THE LAND. SEEMS THAT SOME OF THE GLASS THANGS ARE QUIGHT
HIGH IN VALUE, TO THE SUM OF A COUPLE $100.00"S EACH . HISTORY TELLS
US THAT OVER TIME, JUNK ITSELF WILL BE WORTH SOMETHING, TO SOMEONE.
THEY ARE CHEAP " NOW " BUT WILL CHANGE.

insulator245

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre!
mlhudson said:
COUPLE $100.00"S EACH . HISTORY TELLS
US THAT OVER TIME, JUNK ITSELF WILL BE WORTH SOMETHING, TO SOMEONE.
THEY ARE CHEAP " NOW " BUT WILL CHANGE.

They aren't junk, many are worth lot more than a couple hundred bucks! A good number are in the $1000s of dollars, and some worth all the way to $35,000 for ultra rare pieces.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
All I can say on this subject is that I know that several rare forms are very very valuable! I have a cousin who since he was a young boy collected glass insulators and the last I knew he had one of the largest collections of them in the world. He also showed me one time that he had 3 insulators (all the same make) that were 3 of only 7 known in existance, and told me that they were were thouands even then and that was 30 years ago!

Slipperyjack47

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that line is old enough there may be treadless ones in the ground you could dig up those are older and usually worth alot. There may even be a dump somewhere on the property they used to dump the old ones down a hill or somewhere they didnt have to go to far. When they replace a new line they would throw the old ones in the old pole holes then cover them with dirt you can research how far apart the old line were fined the first hole then the next should be that far apart. You need to research that line to find out how old it is to see if treadless was on it to begin with.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Look Steve, these guys are pulling your leg. Insulators are worthless. So please send me all you find and I will dispose of them for you. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread