F75 LTD
Upvote 0

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

He makes some good points and some not so good ones lol.

us nickels are a decent bet but I'm sorry there are way better ways to horde for the future. he dismisses pennies way to easy.

1) silver..... of course
2) copper..... sure its bulky but everyone has room to put a few hundred back
3) nickel.... i envy the Canadians and the US guys and gals that live close enough up north to be able to get .999 fine ca nickel
4) cupronickel.... it is worth putting some of these back if you have enough investment capitol to do so without neglecting 1 2 and 3. In my opinion the time has not yet come to stockpile these on any huge level. We can go into a bank and order a brick of these at anytime.

not saying its a bad investment it may be right now with so much other stuff to put your money into. But he is right one day in the near future it will be. It is copper and nickel two very sought after metals in this industrial world of ours.

here are a couple things to consider though. silver already has a huge market. 95% copper needs minimal work to become useful in modern applications. ca .999 nickel is ready to melt and use. While cupronickel would have to go through extensive processing to separate the copper and nickel thus driving down the actual price you can get out of them. Just think about how less of a premium you get and how hard 40% silver is to get rid of?

Also him saying buy them at a premium is totally laughable. I'm sure everyone of us nickel searchers would like to find someone offering that deal lmao.

Basically the guy wrote a pretty good article but didn't research enough to have his facts down. Which is fine with me. Hell he states that the silver is gone and copper pennies aren't worth hanging onto. Perfect!!! Wish we could get the AP to wire this story out to every newspaper in the country lol

I'm sure I'm forgeting a point or two but anyway HH.

-K

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007

klava, you pretty much summed it up. This guy had a great topic to write about but by the looks of it he researched it for 5 minutes. I agree with your invetment ladder, in the order you say. I do have one exception thou, yes silver is great to hold, but I believe copper with have a greater percentage of return. As for the CopperNickel, never no way would I ever hold them for a bullion metal investment, Numis investment yes but never for the metal content, like you said very hard to refine to a usable metal. My opinion you will never see ads running to offer to buy you CopperNickel coins buy the pound with a premium.
One thing I wonder is this guy a CRH in disguise and trying to spin things around so you don't search for silver and don't hoard copper pennies? ? ?
IF SO GREAT JOB I WANT TO SHAKE YOUR HAND :hello:

Happy Hunting,
Jason

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

Jason my determining factor for putting silver above copper is simply a face value versus return ratio. While i do see copper outperforming silver over the next few years it is hard for it to make up for the deficit of finding silver at face.

When we find silver, in the market right now, you are looking at selling for 10-11X face. Right off the bat without any waiting. Whereas it will be awhile before we see that return on copper. Not to mention over that time silver will go up more too.

I think i spent way to many words to try to say what i wanted there lol

My list is based on finding metals at face. Hey 9 words did it lol.

But I can see the argument for either way.

Regardless of the placing 1. 2. and 3 are the cream in our line of work. While i do save back pre60 us nickels I do so only for the numismatic premium.

IMO if anyone is throwing any of the top 3 back they are making a mistake. Diversify! Diversify! Diversify lol

****On a side not I haven't mentioned gold since the article and discussion is about CRH/hoarding coins. But just to mention I cant afford to pay 1,000 dollars for an ounce of gold. I did this week though pass the 1 oz mark(YAY) it cost me 324 dollars. Ever mention i love yardsales lol

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Interesting in reference to the possibility of the gov reducing the value of currency to fight inflation, and how the coinage would keep its value.

I doubt that anytime soon the gov will lift the ban on melting pennies and nickels and/or sending them out of the country for melt.

Jim

OP
OP
wharghoul

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD

"klava, you pretty much summed it up. This guy had a great topic to write about but by the looks of it he researched it for 5 minutes. "

I agree, not a lot of research and no sources provided.

If the rest of his "survival techniques/strategies" are as well researched as this one, then I guess I'll keep shopping for that coffee table survival guide that I've been wanting.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Yeah I am not to eager to start hording the nickels. Just not enough return right now. Same with the copper pennies. I mean I understand why people do it but just does not interest me yet.

Golden Silver

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009

i don't think that it is worth saving nickels. Copper pennies are dumb to keep because by putting your money in the bank the intrest that you earn is more than the price of copper pennies

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

Copper pennies are dumb to keep because by putting your money in the bank the intrest that you earn is more than the price of copper pennies

Im just gonna say LOL for now. Thats all i can muster......

-K

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

bocephus said:
i don't think that it is worth saving nickels. Copper pennies are dumb to keep because by putting your money in the bank the intrest that you earn is more than the price of copper pennies

That is just as untrue as the statements in the article.

Last year $50 bags of Copper pennies were selling for $130 on ebay. Now the price is down to about $80. But, even at $80, that is 60% above face value. How can you say that the "intrest" (sic) earned at the bank is more than the 60% you can make in a WEEK on pennies? Granted, there is work involved in separating copper pennies, but to say that it is dumb because the INTEREST is more at a bank is just ... wrong.

Put $50 in the bank, and ask for $80 in a week. SOmething tells me you won't get it. And pennies will do that over and over and over again. A s many as you have or can sort.

HH

John

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

bocephus said:

Bo

Here you go again. My savings account pays 0.035%

Carfull or you are going to catch some heat here.

I wonder? You don't happen to know a guy named CoinCrazed do you?

Mojo

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

Okay here we go....

$0.0182553 is the melt value for the 1909-1982 copper cent on August 10, 2009.

that is an instant 82.5% gain everytime you throw a copper penny in a jar. What does your savings account gain?

I have heard many good arguments both for and against hoarding cu cents but "dumb because your bank will give you more interest" is by far the worst. Yes i understand we cant melt them right now. There is a market though. last year coppers were selling at over 2 cents a piece at times. You can still sell them for more than face.

In my opinion they are a great way to diversify your portfolio. I know people who just keep back the ones they get in everyday change and i also know people who hoard them by the ton. The key is all of these people diversify.

I don't put any faith in fiat money(look that up) or numbers on the screen that represent it and i damn sure wont have any investments in a "savings account" lmao. To each their own though.

HH
-K

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

you guys posted while i was typing my last reply lol

Mojo I was wondering the same thing lol....

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

klava said:

you guys posted while i was typing my last reply lol

Mojo I was wondering the same thing lol....

It's almost like he took all our advice and tried to change and came back as another poster. This time with a different personality. But still wants to get noticed.

Mojo

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

I'm a reader of this guy's blog. I've read the article before and never thought much of it. However, what a coincidence. Check out today's blog. Down playing CRH. Not on purpose though. I know many of us are not eager to get a hold of someones stolen collection. There's more to the story at the site.

JWR Replies: Readers should be advised that a large percentage of the silver coinage found in high crime areas has re-entered circulation because it is being spent by drug addicts that have conducted residential burglaries. Unless they are stupid enough to "spend" a numismatic coin that is still encapsulated in a serialized slab, stolen coins are essentially untraceable. Needless to say, retail merchants should avoid "fencing" stolen items.

http://www.survivalblog.com/

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

nyiangelo said:
I'm a reader of this guy's blog. I've read the article before and never thought much of it. However, what a coincidence. Check out today's blog. Down playing CRH. Not on purpose though. I know many of us are not eager to get a hold of someones stolen collection. There's more to the story at the site.

JWR Replies: Readers should be advised that a large percentage of the silver coinage found in high crime areas has re-entered circulation because it is being spent by drug addicts that have conducted residential burglaries. Unless they are stupid enough to "spend" a numismatic coin that is still encapsulated in a serialized slab, stolen coins are essentially untraceable. Needless to say, retail merchants should avoid "fencing" stolen items.

http://www.survivalblog.com/

LMAO Not all silver in circulation is stolen and theres is no way to know what is or isn't. retail merchants shouldn't fence stolen items. LMFAO to classic. I know i wont be visiting the guys blog anymore. For the most part its asinine and not well thought out. I guess drug addicts are the only people who steal and i as a cashier should turn away anyone who wants to buy some gum with a silver quarter.

-K

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009

John,
I would like to see you sell a $50.00 bag of pennies for $80.00. If you can tell me someone that has bought one then i belive you. But don't tell me that a year ago they sold for $80.00 because right now is not a year ago

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007

bocephus said:
John,
I would like to see you sell a $50.00 bag of pennies for $80.00. If you can tell me someone that has bought one then i belive you. But don't tell me that a year ago they sold for $80.00 because right now is not a year ago

I dont know why I am wasting my time with someone that obviously has no clue but i will try to shed some light.
Go to Ebay right now and do an advanved search under user name "DGCOINS" be sure to check the box completed auctions in the last 15 days... WOW bags of $50 copper pennies selling for WHAT ? ? ? OH!!! $90

Wow, next time learn the market before you try to argue with people that know a whole hell of a lot more about this than you!!!

OH bye the way I sell copper pennies everyday as in right now NOT LAST YEAR for 1.7 cents each which I will do the math for you is $85 per $50 bag...
Jason

OP
OP
wharghoul

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD

Shake,

Well done, don't think there is anyone more qualified to address that....

However, don't throw you're back out b**** slapping this kid around, we missed you and we don't want you to disappear again.

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009

Shake,
One person, wow. One person bought one 50.00 bag.Lets just say that there is not a big market for pennies. Who do you sell them to for 1.7 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread