Interesting Facts On macon

Consealed

Oct 26, 2007
Monoray, CA
Detector(s) used
Acer 250
The city thrived due to its location on the Ocmulgee River and cotton became the mainstay of Macon's early economy. Cotton boats, stage coaches, and later, in 1843, a railroad all brought economic prosperity to Macon. In 1836, Wesleyan College, the oldest women's college in the world, was founded in Macon.

During the American Civil War, Macon served as the official arsenal of the Confederacy and Macon City Hall, which would serve as the temporary state capitol in 1864, was converted to use as a hospital for the wounded.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/86952408_5e714959be_b.jpg

Also Some facts about fort valley:

The county seat of Peach County, Fort Valley was founded in the 1820s as a Native American trading post.

That crossing of trails made it a natural place for a North Carolinian named James Abbington Everett to set up a trading post in the 1820s.

Another story claims that Everett named the town after his friend Arthur Fort, a Revolutionary War (1775-83) hero from nearby Milledgeville. In any case, it seems that there was never a military fort on the site

When Fort Valley was officially chartered in 1856, the town limits were established as one mile in each direction from the railroad depot.

http://pix.epodunk.com/GA/ga_fort_valley01.jpg

Happy Hunting GA'ers

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
hi doobie,
Central city park is old. How ever I found out through research that the park was filled in with about 20 feet of dirt during the 1930's during FDR's WPA works project to prevent flooding. Still old coins there but I never found anything older the a 1930's buffalo nickel. The flood control worked until 1994 when the great "Flood" hit.
happy hunting!
fishy49

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you walk south along the railroad tracks from the Ocmulgee Mounds you will find on your right some old foundations. They may have been an old train station or some train related building. I'm not an MD'er so I never looked much. I did see some old glass electric pole insulators laying broken in the weeds.
I havbe no idea who owns the property but if it is ok to search it seems some old items should turn up as Macon is old and has a rich history. Let us know if anyone searches this spot.

doobie

Aug 8, 2005
macon ga.
hi fishy49 when they was digging the river walk at Central city park i went down there i found old bottles and old nails and some Indian artifacts i had a field day :thumbsup:

Nick_T

Apr 9, 2009
My interest has started to come around in relic hunting and primarly joined this site to sort through what I need to look for in a metal detector. Stumbled onto this post, and glad to see that with me living in Ft. Valley that there's some chances of decent finds. I know of an area that I've always have been told that it was Army Air Corps. training base back in WW1 and 2 that I've always wanted to check out. Back in my youth we were walking one of the field roads there nad I kicked up a 1943 half dollar, so maybe there's something to it. Anyhow, just wanted to say hello from a real greenhorn and hope to see some of ya'll out there.

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
That is Camp Wheeler to which you are referring to. It is located at I-16 and Hiway 129. Most of the land is owned by private companies and the Bibb County Industrial Authority. there is a map of the site in the public library in the genological section.. at least I think there still is, I looked at it about 15 yrs ago. :)

Nick_T

Apr 9, 2009
fishy49 said:
That is Camp Wheeler to which you are referring to. It is located at I-16 and Hiway 129. Most of the land is owned by private companies and the Bibb County Industrial Authority. there is a map of the site in the public library in the genological section.. at least I think there still is, I looked at it about 15 yrs ago. :)

Know about Camp Wheeler, but this'en is another'en, supposed to have been just outside Ft. Valley from what I understand but I can't seem to find any information about it yet, just info I've gathered over the years from the old timers. I'm a wildland firefighter and we had a fire last year over on the old Wheeler, there ain't no telling how many unexploded ordances we ran over with the doziers putting it out, seems that it was the old tank firing range, found that out after the fact. Thanks for the responce though, and I might can obtain permission for some of the private land over on Wheeler if your interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread