Interesting situation

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I have an interesting situation I wanted to tell you all about.

I posted a while ago how I found an Evette Clarinet at a thrift store for 65 dollars. Well, something interesting happened today. I was cleaning out the clarinet case, when I found a bunch of papers. These papers were Basketball Camp sign-up sheets from a school.

I immediately thought to myself, "wait? Does this belong to a school? How did it get in a thrift store?"

I'm always the type of person to do the right thing, so I was able to contact the school, and I told them, "so I found this clarinet at a thrift store, And it has some school papers of yours in it. Are you missing a clarinet?"

The school is currently sending a message to their band teacher, and they're going to see if they are missing a clarinet. If they are, this clarinet is to be returned to that school, which to be honest, is a couple miles from where I live.

It always feels good to do the right thing.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you all this. I will keep you all updated as to what happens.

Jared

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jared that's a very good thing it's good to see things like this that's why I like this site..Well done. Honorable Mention

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kno u may like to do the right thing but at least try and get ur money back from the school. Because in all actuality if u give it back that 65 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than them buying a brand new one. And u never kno my friends son had to buy his own instrument for school they may have done that and the kids grabbed some sign up sheets for him and some buddies.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kno u may like to do the right thing but at least try and get ur money back from the school. Because in all actuality if u give it back that 65 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than them buying a brand new one. And u never kno my friends son had to buy his own instrument for school they may have done that and the kids grabbed some sign up sheets for him and some buddies.

Good point. Thank you for bringing that up!

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I talked to my mother, who works in the same school district as the school this clarinet came from. She said that high schools don't loan out instruments. This probably belonged to a student who used it at school.

The school I called also didn't get back to me yet.

I could be the new owner! We will see what happens.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations and cudos to you on doing the right thing. Not easy but right.
If some kid was missing their instrument for whatever reason, you will probably brighten their day.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are trying to return it and that's all you can do. Nice job on your efforts.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What can happen with stuff like this is no one knows. People come and go and no one actually knows about actual ownership.
That's why possession is 9/10th of the law. In your case the instrument's ownership might be lost to history. In band, a lot of kids bought instruments.
My mom years ago (1960's) was loaned a weaving loam from a school. After a long time of trying to find a conduit to return it she finally quit trying.
The person that loaned it was long gone and the school didn't seem interested. If property is returned there needs to be paperwork attesting to the return. That's where many people get that feeling they don't want involvement. Questions like why was it not reported missing. Sweep under the rug.
Sometimes there is no conduit for returning property as it never was supposed to be missing. Things like fudging inventories rather than looking for missing property.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good point. The school actually never got back to me. I don't think they're interested. I can at least say I tried though!

Thanks for that info. And by the way, I am aware that possession is 9/10 of the law, that is why I tried to return it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread