Interesting spoon found in my yard

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I have come to the conclusion that no matter how hard I try I will never get everything in my yard.
OK, that's find with me ;D

Here is a spoon I found today, here is some info on the person http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_Wilson_(actress)

DSC01401.JPG
DSC01402.JPG

Just the handle detail

DSC01403.JPG

and a close up of the head

DSC01404.JPG

Some bottles i found yesterday at the cellar hole next door, not sure how old ???

DSC01405.JPG

and some clad and a 1916 wheat (guess that's my oldest wheat now, shame its so beat up :( )

DSC01407.JPG

HH,
Donny

Upvote 0

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
loiswilson.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/6232/moviestars.html

Movie star spoons

guess it would be expected that we find movie stars on spoons. Normally I do not have much interest in silver plated spoons, but this series of movie star spoons of the 1920's were only created in this manner. I am told that there is another set of movie star spoons in sterling silver, but I have never seen any of these spoons. One of the surfers of this site writes: "they (12) were produced by Oneida for a Hearst Newspaper campaign through Photoplay Magazine in 1925. The artist was Louise K. Lants."

This is entirely plausible, because Marion Davies (a less than exciting movie star) was the mistress of William Randall Hearst, the well known publisher. Davies spoons are much more common than any of the others. You can see Hearst Castle spoons in the "Modern Souvenir Traps" exhibit from the index page.

At the time, these spoons would have been very inexpensive and even today they are readily available for a nominal price. I have seen them priced anywhere from $2 - $25 each. All I can suggest is caveat emptor.

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
The spoon was probably a set made for this: She was chosen by Paramount Pictures to represent the motion picture industry at the British Empire Exposition of 1924. her profile appears to be from the 20's

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Nice spoon , bottles and coins... Keep em coming. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread