Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I've been reading some great stuff here about CRH. I'm newly addicted to metal detecting, but have always been a lover of silver/interesting coins. I have found (while detecting this past summer) 1 Morgan Dollar, 3 Barber halves and 49 other silver coins (and piles of the usual Indian and Wheat cents, and a ton of Canadian coins of varying age). Anyway, with the ground frozen and zero chance of detecting, I am really interested in this 'Coin Roll Hunting'!

I live in Canada (very close to the U.S.), and I am going down to the States for a few hrs tomorrow. I'm really tempted to pick up a bunch of halves from a bank. Obviously it'll be some bank I have never been to before. Do they really care if I have an account? Will they give me a hard time? Money is money right? I was also planning to bring them home to sort through them, but I wonder if Canada Customs would frown on a box full of U.S. coins.

Does anybody have advice on this sort of predicament? Any help is appreciated....Thanks, Mike

Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
nice silver from MD'ing!!!
i do not believe that the US would allow you to take more than $5$ worth of change out of the country...and where would you dump them all in the end? also, y would canada frown on having a box of US halves?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea on the legality issue of transporting coins in and out of the country. But, as far as buying halves from banks, I seriously doubt if you have any problems whatsoever. At least in my area, most banks are happy to get rid of them. I'm rarely even asked if I have an account. If I am asked, and don't have an account, they usually sell me the coins anyway.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I know there's export laws on pennies and nickels but I don't know for larger denominations. You can't order a box of Canadian halves up in Canada? I would like to pick up some Canadian silver halves if I could but have yet to find one.

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:hello: :icon_thumleft: Great finds !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of us are still looking for big silver !!!!!!!!!!

As far as CRH - Banks will sell them even if you don't have an account. Just tell Customs your a coin collector. Best of luck to you :icon_thumleft:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
I know there's export laws on pennies and nickels but I don't know for larger denominations. You can't order a box of Canadian halves up in Canada? I would like to pick up some Canadian silver halves if I could but have yet to find one.

I think that unlike the US mint, the Canadian mint actively culls older silver coins from circulation so CRHing there I would think would be a lot harder.

imacer

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2010
You could always call Detroit Us Customs office, I usually call them about questions about going into Canada, they are usually very helpful.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm back home now. I went into a small town bank and asked for 240 half dollars. No problem at all...until I got home and unwrapped 240 clad Kennedys :( I was disappointed, but it's my first try...now I need to find a way to get rid of them here in Canada.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread