Intro and a question

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This my first post in the forum so I would like to introduce myself and ask a question. Hello... Name is John. New to metal detecting. I live just north of the treasure coast here in Florida. I was looking for something that would be great exercise and love walking the beach. I have always been interested in metal detecting and thought it was time to get serious and what a great way to occupy my time while I get some steps in.

I have had lower end metal detectors over the years and man am I surprised how far the technology has gone in just the last 15 years.

So here is my question. I did my research and within my price range I have purchased a Garrett Ace 400. Thought it was going to be good for what I wanted to use it for as I saw pages like https://metaldetectorboss.com/beach-metal-detector/ where it is listed good to use in ankle deep water. Then I see a bunch of people saying it is not good for the salt water wet sand. I know I can use descrim to take out false readings. Anyone have experience with saltwater wet beach with the ace 400? In time I want to upgrade to a nox 600 but want to know if I will be wasting my time in wet sand...

(I know what u are thinking... Why doesn't he just go out and try it? That is a great question! See the problem here is the wife got it for me for Christmas. So I am not allowed to touch it till then. So get ready for some questions that could be easily answered by just trying... But I cannot.)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome. Ace 400 from what i understand will not work well in the wet sand. Equinnox 600 on the other hand i have heard works well on the wet sand. I have the 800, but no salt water beaches near me. But it does do better on the more mineralized sites around here.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is not a multi frequency machine like a Fisher CZ 21 or the Minelab Excalibur I think you will find your Beach hunting a bit frustrating. I have tried many single frequency vlf machines in the saltwater Beach environment on the West Coast and none of them are worth a crap in the black sand we get out here. At least down by the water line and in the wet sand. Forget about getting in the water. if by chance you are able to get it to stabilize anywhere near the water you will have detuned it so far you will be lucky to pick a nickel up in an inch and a half deep. I'm not trying to be an ass by dogging all single-frequency vlf machines, but here is a list of those I have tried in the wet sand and down by the water with miserable results.
White's 5900 di pro
Macro multi cruiser
Teknetics t2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000
Fisher 1280 x
I'm sure there are at least a couple more that I'm not thinking of. I think you've got a great machine for working in Parks, school yards and anywhere around freshwater. If however you are planning on making Beach hunting your priority, you really need to look into a multi-frequency machine. Or a good pulse induction machine, but you will be forced to dig everything and if your Beach has got a lot of trash you are going to be busy.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to tnet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I advice is to save your money and get the Equinox. The Ace 400 will work okay in the dry sand, but, will false in wet sand and water. It isn't waterproof either. You need a multifrequency (or PI) machine to get top performance in salt water. Multifrequency gives you discrimination, Pulse Induction doesn't to any great extent at the present time, so, you will dig every ferrous piece of trash.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry sand only...... you just really need a MULTI freq machine to effectively hunt the wet sand or in the water. You will also need a GOOD sand scoop. Will you be wasting your time....... hey as they say even a blind squirrel will find a nut occasionally. BUT ..... because you found a ring just under the wet sand doesnt mean it was the BEST choice...... its all those other pieces you missed from lack of depth/sensitivity. Get the 600....... it fits the bill for most hunting situations.... ALSO most beach machines pay for themselves.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the 600. It is light weight, easy to use and works great in salt water wet sand!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tent! Lots of very knowledgeably people on here who will be able to answer any questions you have

OP
OP
D

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the great advise and welcomes! So here is the game plan... Using the Ace 400 til I have found enough things to help fund the nox 600 (or I find a good price on offer up/let go) or... Next Christmas. I have sent my Santa list to my kids for a beach scoop and a pinpointer. All I can say now is c'mon Christmas!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A top quality sand scoop can cost more than the Ace 400! A cheap scoop can be frustrating to use however. Personally, I'd rather have a better scoop than a pin pointer on the beach. Sure, a pin pointer is nice to have for those tiny targets that keep falling through the scoop holes, but, that's not your typical target. You can always go old school and run hand fulls of sand over the coil to find those occasional tiny items. A good scoop will be used on virtually every target. For dry sand, get a wide mouthed stainless scoop.....say 9" or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread