Invention help! Metal detecting tool.

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my fellow MDing pals, I have had a pretty awesome idea for a new pinpointer/sheath combination holster, I have two designs and a name for it, unfortunately have no idea where to go with this idea.....if anyone has any info on what I could do to make this happen so people with this exciting hobby can enjoy the comfort, reliability, convenience of this awesome invention please let me know, I know it takes money to make money but I'm hoping no money and a great idea can happen. Thank you guys for any advice or input.

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Inventhelp.com

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Make up a few and sell them on TNet so they can be put through their paces to see how the holsters perform!
Get some feedback by MD'rs and you are good to go!
Then find a leathersmith (or whatever the holster is made of) that will sew them up for you but don't let go of the rights to your design! If it's an item you can produce yourself all the better!
You can market them on eBay for an inexpensive way to test how they will sell.
Best of Luck!

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck with that.:thumbsup:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Practically speaking, there's nothing you can do to keep people from copying your design. (It's probably not patentable, but even if it is, the patent process isn't worth it and the degree of protection it'll offer is basically zero.)

Your protection is trademark. When you sell it, sell it under a particular trademark name that can't be confused with anyone else's trademark. Although registering the trademark gives you a strong case against infringers, merely using the trademark establishes it under common law and provides some leverage against infringers.

If you'll look at other small-scale accessory stuff for the metal detector market, you see very little copying of what might have been patentable designs, and essentially zero trademark infringement. I think the right answer is to not worry about protecting the design, but to just start making and selling it. Once you've done that, if you want to use an existing marketing & distribution system to sell it, you have some leverage to approach the management of that company and see if they want to carry it in their product line.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The trick is to make them faster than the other guy that is selling them. You can find a copy of anything for sale if you look hard enough.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1994 (before internet), I invented a a chain tightening & engine stabilizing device for mini bikes and go-karts.
I hired a patent attorney and I'll never forget his words, "Inventing the device is the easy part, now you have to see if there is a market for it."
He told me that I had to give some away to see if they worked and held up under actual usage, so I gave 10 away to a go-kart fun park near me.
A very short time later the mechanic called me and told me that he loved the "Snug-A-Bug", (my 8 year old daughter named it and it stuck).
Locally nobody wanted them because I live in a very depressed area so I moth-balled them.
In 1999 I joined e-bay and sold over 30 of them before I pulled the plug due to going in another direction and they only sold for $7.00, it was a small device that preformed quite well but profit margin was small.

Everyone on here gave you good advice.

The only advice I can give you is, stay positive and don't give up!!!!
Plus stay away from negative people and you will run into them, they are everywhere!

Engine

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X1 Probe, 11" DD coil, & 10x5" SEF coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it requires any machining work I would be willing to do some quotes on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread