All Treasure Hunting

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good question, and a loaded one. Depends on the team or company. Yes, there are legit companies. The key is finding one among the scores of semi-decent ones. Finding a group that is well researched, and experienced for the task is key. Whether you dive or not depends on your skills, how much percentage of the project you're invested in, and a few other factors of comfort level for you. Good question.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As an aside, I have heard lots and lots of people both by email and in person say Darren in Trinidad is 100% trustworthy investor wise so I would take any advice he gives you very seriously indeed.

My advice, throw a dart at any name on this site that knows him and ask them?

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great advice Enrada but I see one mistake. The Marquesas is NOT the wrong place. That's where the Margarita was found, sister ship of the Atocha and the Atocha is just 8 miles from there. Mel first searched around the Matacumbe Keys before Gene Lyons pointed him towards the Marquesas.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Solid advice, enrada. Welcome to the forum.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is a big difference between various kinds of operations. You have choices.
Do you want to invest a large amount in a public company that does big projects?
Do you want to invest in a company with one particular goal above all others. (Melfisher.com or call and talk to Pat Clyne. I think their fun tickets are about $100k)
How about a private company doing research and exploration in a foreign country? Several of those around planning expeditions as we speak.
Maybe a private company doing research and exploration in the US?
Or would you like you to invest a few thousand with one of the subcontractors working on the 1715 sites? (If this is the one, I know a guy or two that would love to talk to you... :) )
There are many threads on this forum and the "other' one that talk about how different operations are conducted, right and/or wrong. My advice is to read, read, read as many as you can. Talk to people. Read more. Talk to more people.
There are many levels of participation in this business, from divers to archaeologists to boat owners to sponsors to patrons. Some folks end up as victims. Do not risk more than you can afford to lose. This is hard work with a small chance of making the huge returns we all hope for. Sort of like working for lottery tickets.
Get in. Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Find people that you like to be around. Don't count your chickens until they are in the pen with the gate locked.
:) Cheers!

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ropesfish,Good words my friend....

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin got to dive with Mel Fisher as an investor . I imagine it depends upon how much you invested and if treasure is found. No sense in diving these days until you get on a wreck or debri field.Good advice above.

OP
OP
s.c.shooter

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the advice. I'm not rushing into anything but definitely looking. I know that there is lots of treasure out there and I've always been a risk taker but of course I would like the odds in my favor.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I just remember that a different key was called Marquesas or something that was 100(?) miles from where Mel needed to be. Goes back to quality of research. Also for me I know of no pirate archive that tells of all the wrecks in shallow water that they salvaged. I would want to invest in Caribbean wrecks over 60-100 feet deep.

Great advice Enrada but I see one mistake. The Marquesas is NOT the wrong place. That's where the Margarita was found, sister ship of the Atocha and the Atocha is just 8 miles from there. Mel first searched around the Matacumbe Keys before Gene Lyons pointed him towards the Marquesas.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes I just remember that a different key was called Marquesas or something that was 100(?) miles from where Mel needed to be. Goes back to quality of research. Also for me I know of no pirate archive that tells of all the wrecks in shallow water that they salvaged. I would want to invest in Caribbean wrecks over 60-100 feet deep.

So I see Enrada that your research or memory is lacking in quality. Maybe you need to hire a researcher of the archives like I did. Also I know of no pirates that kept records or archives of their activities.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enrada soory, but can not use forum to solicit funds..

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Enrada you need to be a charter member to solicit funds.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
So I see Enrada that your research or memory is lacking in quality. Maybe you need to hire a researcher of the archives like I did. Also I know of no pirates that kept records or archives of their activities.

Indeed, the pirates and buccaneers were no great writers in general. However, there are some original documents and a few books written by actual pirates, privateers, corsairs and buccaneers about their adventures.

Attached is part of a letter written by Henry Morgan's surgeon, shortly after Henry Morgan's flagship the "Oxford" blew up. There were only a handful of survivors of the disaster.

Attachments

• Henry Morgan's survival.jpg
    Henry Morgan's survival.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 155

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I offended someone. I went back to reread my original reply to "investing in treasure hunting" only to find it gone. I was not trying to raise funding, only give some good advise to s.c.shooter. I am glad some people here seen it that way. Also not being within reach of my shipwreck library and Eugene Lyons book, I made a small mistake regarding the Marquesas Keys. Almost all my 4 years of research was on the Manila Galleons. My research on the projects that I do is solid and thats why my investors tell me their reason was for investing in me.

S

stefen

When investing in any speculative venture make sure that the money to be invested could disappear 100%...

Sometimes, its a total crap-shoot like betting on paramutual turtle races...

HPardo

Greenie
Jun 22, 2019
Argentina
Detector(s) used
Fisher. Garret.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hum... I think that you are leaving aside to Mr. R. Duncan Mathewson III, archaeological director of the search for the the Nuestra Señora de Atocha; who did a big correction to the search area. It is just my opinion... I meet those guys since many years ago...

Hope you take my comments as another opinion, I mean, it is not my intention the lack of respect for your comments. On the contrary, I would like to mention few people that were forgotten. They gave big efforts and worked hard for the finding. All of them were well rewarded by Mel Fisher. But in time, the history of the sucess took them to the shadows of a limited inner circle that we always recall.

My best,
Horacio Pardo

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I remember, Mel commissioned the investigation of the Margarita and Atocha documents. This happened before Gene did it and it was with an AGI lady (now I don't remember the name). She sent the pure documents without the transcription into modern Spanish and the translation. Then Mel sent the transcript and the person who did it was wrong in the old Spanish word "ueste" which means "oeste" or west. But it was transcribed as "este" or east. That's why Mel went to look for Matacumbe Key.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
If I ever went into the treasure hunting business in Florida even before I learned to SCUBA dive, I would make sure I was fluent in Spanish and could read 16th and 17th century Spanish documents.

It still dazzles me how can anyone claim he is a serious treasure hunter and then can only speak English..

As far as I remember, Mel commissioned the investigation of the Margarita and Atocha documents. This happened before Gene did it and it was with an AGI lady (now I don't remember the name). She sent the pure documents without the transcription into modern Spanish and the translation. Then Mel sent the transcript and the person who did it was wrong in the old Spanish word "ueste" which means "oeste" or west. But it was transcribed as "este" or east. That's why Mel went to look for Matacumbe Key.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now I remember the name of the lady who researched for Mel: it's Angeles Flores.
https://dspace.unia.es/bitstream/handle/10334/314/15JIITI.pdf?sequence=1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread