Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with # 17. Be careful before you invested in any project. Good luck and good hunting.

HPardo

Greenie
Jun 22, 2019
Argentina
Detector(s) used
Fisher. Garret.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As far as I remember, Mel commissioned the investigation of the Margarita and Atocha documents. This happened before Gene did it and it was with an AGI lady (now I don't remember the name). She sent the pure documents without the transcription into modern Spanish and the translation. Then Mel sent the transcript and the person who did it was wrong in the old Spanish word "ueste" which means "oeste" or west. But it was transcribed as "este" or east. That's why Mel went to look for Matacumbe Key.

EXACTLY! It is the same first hand story that I knew from the "Golden Crew".
There was a missunderstanding from "veste" or "ueste" (didnt see the original documents).
Just the history about how much time were lost searching in the wrong side.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My kinda take on this:

If I won't be there, my money won't either

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXACTLY! It is the same first hand story that I knew from the "Golden Crew".
There was a missunderstanding from "veste" or "ueste" (didnt see the original documents).
Just the history about how much time were lost searching in the wrong side.

I talked about the matter with Angeles Flores (back in 1986) and she explained that the failure of the search was intended to be thrown at her, but she explained that she did not translate the documents and that she was blamed. As I say: cheap is expensive!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big difference between various kinds of operations. You have choices.
Do you want to invest a large amount in a public company that does big projects?
Do you want to invest in a company with one particular goal above all others. (Melfisher.com or call and talk to Pat Clyne. I think their fun tickets are about $100k)
How about a private company doing research and exploration in a foreign country? Several of those around planning expeditions as we speak.
Maybe a private company doing research and exploration in the US?
Or would you like you to invest a few thousand with one of the subcontractors working on the 1715 sites? (If this is the one, I know a guy or two that would love to talk to you... :) )
There are many threads on this forum and the "other' one that talk about how different operations are conducted, right and/or wrong. My advice is to read, read, read as many as you can. Talk to people. Read more. Talk to more people.
There are many levels of participation in this business, from divers to archaeologists to boat owners to sponsors to patrons. Some folks end up as victims. Do not risk more than you can afford to lose. This is hard work with a small chance of making the huge returns we all hope for. Sort of like working for lottery tickets.
Get in. Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Find people that you like to be around. Don't count your chickens until they are in the pen with the gate locked.
:) Cheers!

Well said... sort of like winning the lottery, but hasn't treasure hunting always been that way? :coffee2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread