Iron Brigade: Complete CW Spur AND Colonial SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've been out pounding some ground with part of the Iron Brigade this week--diehard hunting. We decided to hit an old spot I've been saving for a while. So BonzaiBrandi, Rodeo Recon, and I headed out to the site. Now this spot was out in some Beautiful countryside, so let me first give you all a feel for the area we were in...

Note: The abandoned house on the hill in the first photo is Much too NEW of a site for us, so we didn't even bother to hunt it. :wink:

abandoned house on hill.jpg

creek.jpg

fisher strikes again.jpg

horse.jpg

So we started pounding spots on this Colonial farm...we hit two ooooold housesites, plus the area surrounding the spring and the old road approaching the sites. The first good signal I got (within 10 minutes of turning on my Fisher) was a nice domed Colonial button (stippled design on the front, with a little remaining gold left). At this point, I knew that it could be a VERY good day. :thumbsup:

button.jpg

button back.jpg

Pretty soon Rodeo yelled that he had a coin. I was pretty amazed to see this in the side of the plug:

penny.jpg

Maybe my perception was off a little, because I felt sure that this would be a LC or early copper, but it was actually an IH...

We continued to dig some wheats :tard: and flat buttons. Rodeo then got half of a Colonial brass Jew's Harp. :thumbsup:

I was determined not to get too skunked...and thankfully I managed to get a piece of a Colonial trade pipe in the plowed garden, along with an unfinished arrowhead. Here's a photo of the broken pipe bowl:

pipe.jpg

Then while I was scanning the soft dirt for other items, I saw Rodeo running toward me with an expression on his face that I just have to describe in detail...it was halfway between Sh_t-Eating Grin and Oh My God. ::) Needless to say I very gently and slowly laid my baby down in the garden dirt and then booked it across the property to see what he had found. :P

When I got there, I saw this:

real in dirt.jpg

real in dirt close-up.jpg

I couldn't help but cheer when I saw the coin in the dirt. Rodeo had broken into the 1700's BIG TIME with a 1797 One Real. :thumbsup: Rodeo--that first silver of 2008 was WELL worth the wait, eh? :wink:

We then relocated to higher ground in search of a Colonial church site. We kept are detectors on the whole way, due to the CW activity in the area. When we got on top of the hill, immediately Rodeo said "I've got a SPUR!" We went running over to see the Beauty--a complete spur with a tiny piece of bootstrap still remaining--and even the rowel intact!

spur uncleaned.jpg

leather.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RoDeO!!!!!! What a day you had! :o Congrats on all those finds! :thumbsup: AND BB!! Super pictures and love the button! Sounds like a very exciting day!

Nana :)

L

lovedigging

Way to go Buckleboy, Looks like a great place to be. Enjoyed the pictures :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Just think, you add one more of those wilver buggards, you would have a two reales. :wink: ;D :wink:

Kyle

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
I would like to see the iron that was dug. ::) What did the "professional" women find? ::)

Kirk

P.S. 1797 is not Colonial. Now, a 1774 two-reales is. :tongue3: :wink:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I wish I could have made the West Virginia trip with you guys and gal.Congrats Rodeo on the Reale and the spur.You sure have been putting a skunking on old Willy here lately.Better leave something there for him to find besides wheaties and clad. ;D. He may leave you home next time.Hurry up and get home,we have some detectin to do in our neck of the woods. HB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
BTW,I would love to hunt that house that was'nt old enough for you. ;D

It'll be there waiting for you. :D

-Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,

The IH was 1903.

Colonial KirkPA said:
I would like to see the iron that was dug. ::)  What did the "professional" women find? ::)

Kirk

P.S. 1797 is not Colonial. Now, a 1774 two-reales is. :tongue3: :wink:

LOL Kirk.  You're quite right about the date of the Real.  I think of these in terms of coin types that saw colonial circulation.  The house was built in the 1760's. 

The Professional Woman that was along with us on this hunt found a VIRGINIA STATE SEAL CIVIL WAR BUTTON.  :thumbsup:  And we think it deserves its own post--along with her awesome finds.  Since y'all are interested in seeing the iron found, I'll get a photo up of it shortly.  Maybe we'll have to start a post-all policy on that.  ::)  Iron photo forthcoming...

-Bucks

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful location, Buckley....and awesome pictures! :icon_sunny:

That's some great research you're doin'. You are Robin Hood....the rest of the brigade are the merry men! :tard: :tard: Oh...yea..I forgot about Maid Marian...diggergrl! :icon_queen:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRON 1.jpg

Note: Fisher 1266-X for size reference only :D

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Great pictures ....looks like an exciting place to hunt! I'd trade a few miles of beachfront here in Fl for a colonial site!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
Buck, I don't like how your coil is yanked back. :D The Iron Brigade lives up to their name. :icon_sunny:

Kirk

She has to fit in the trunk somehow. And I hate having to adjust the pole assembly. :D

Don't worry. I ALWAYS lay her down Gently to go see a buddy dig some 1700's wilver. :thumbsup:

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats to all!! It looks like even some of the "junk" ya'll dug was interesting!!! Hope you saved that spoon as a present for me. :tongue3: Anyway, can't wait to see the state-seal post!

~DG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread