Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with HB today for a hunt at a new site. When we first got on the land (1000 acres) it was overwhelming. I started looking at the geography after we struck out in the first spot, and crossed a drainage ditch in the soybean field. When HB and I made it up to the next flat, we got iron hits. :) HB immediately dug a large buckle that looks like very high quality pewter perhaps. The only other buckle like it that I have seen was one I dug at a 1700s site two years ago. The buckle is cast, and it is uneven and crude. If anyone has some information on this find please let us know.

Well, I then dug a nice hallmarked pewter spoon handle (W M(?) C o)--the "o" looks like a superscript. So things were looking up. We knew we were on an old site. :headbang:

Then a flat button came up, some musketballs, a thimble, and some other pieces of brass. HB then gave a big "Oh Boy!" and I knew he had a good one. When I came over I saw the Beautiful sight of Big Copper beside his dig hole.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then HB dug a Civil War era Eagle Button (unfortunately bent into an Eagle Taco by the plow). :-\ Then a few more bits. I was worried that I was getting skunked. The sun started going down, casting long shadows on the cut field. The targets were very thin, and there was hardly any big iron to dig--but what targets there were, were good ones. I was just wanting one more keeper or two... Then I got a choppy "blip blip" signal. I raised up my coil to swat away a piece of soybean stalk that was still clinging to the dirt overtop of the signal and the detector went off "BAM!" I realized that whatever I had was very shallow and was giving a double signal at close range. So I stuck my shovel in the dirt--and no sooner did I start to lift up the ground, then a Copper levitated itself up towards my finds pouch! :o

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

We dug a bit more, and HB got a nice little ball button complete with shank. Then we were met by the property owner in the field, had a chat with him, said goodbye and thanked him, and headed back to the truck.

Now this is my kind of Tailgate Party: ;D

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

MORE photos below: :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The IRON Brigade makes a Copper Delivery

Here are my finds. My Large Cent was an 1819 (a year I hadn't dug before). I was also very happy to take a closer look at a piece of brass I found. It is an Enfield trigger housing. :hello2:

A.jpg

B.jpg

And here are HB's finds--his LC was a Super Nice 1848. Nice large buckle, eagle button taco, excellent decorated flat button, and a mystery piece of metal with writing on it. :icon_scratch: (Any help on that one is appreciated.)

C.jpg

D.jpg

Here are close-up shots of the two Largies. Mine is worn out and holed--but HB gets some serious Congrats for such a sharp coin:

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
Re: The IRON Brigade makes a Copper Delivery

Sweet LC!! :headbang:
Awesome Assortment Of Relics :icon_thumright:
HH!!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds to both of you! :icon_thumright:

But how did you figure out that was a piece of a gun????? ???

That's great detective work! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Congrats on the nice finds to both of you! :icon_thumright:

But how did you figure out that was a piece of a gun????? ???

That's great detective work! :notworthy:

Well...you stare at enough parts diagrams to 100-year-old weapons and it all starts to sink in, eventually.

That's why IDing finds is so important. I've gone home several times thinking I was skunked, then ID something as the find of the month.

Thank you for your reply, my friend.

Cheers,

Buckles

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi buckle Nice finds, Thats 2 things you find quite often which i cannot. Whole buckles and really old buttons. Got any tips .

tinpan

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
If only 2 out of 10 days of hunting down fur trade can be sooo productive as your days with HB ,great finds BUD :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day! I'm not sure if Kirk will post at all now. :wink:

I believe your buckle dates with the other finds that are well into the 1800s.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Congratulations to the I.B. for such a bountiful hunt. Nice couple of coppers and it's always a winning day to find a coin with a year that you have'nt found yet. I'm really impressed with your identifying expertise. That exploded diagram of the rifle says it all. Makes me wonder about all the times I was stumped with what I can not identify. I'm glad to see that your research is paying dividends. :thumbsup:
Chris

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day out in the Kentucky fields, Buck! You have been rolling lately. It sure is nice to see more coppers being posted.

Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job BB,
You sir are on a roll. :notworthy:
Thanks for sharing the parts diagram. I'm going to print that out for reference.
Have a good weekend,
Doug

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Hi buckle Nice finds, Thats 2 things you find quite often which i cannot. Whole buckles and really old buttons. Got any tips .

tinpan

Tin,

I would imagine that there are a good many decorative sash buckles to be found any any gold rush area. And of course, buttons too. But perhaps the area is not quite early enough for flat buttons...or maybe they were wearing those new fangled denim jeans. The only tip I can give on the buttons is minimum discrimination and dig it all.

The whole buckles will come eventually--especially if you're occasionally finding pieces of them.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Buck,

As IP has said many times, once your coil is on fire, it is hard to put it out. I don't see any skunks coming from you guys in the near future.

Keep building upon your 2009 Fall success, Buck! I know we'll be seeing more greenies very soon.

Kyle

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding a new ,old site and your 1819 has "Liberty" nice!!! Look at that spoon !!I can imagine a huge John Deere pulling a 60 blade disc harrow making tacos out of stuff in that field ,happens here too, hope it didn't wack any old coins :o. :thumbsup:

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Thats a nice variety of finds you both found congrats :thumbsup:
Am i the only one that notices the letters carved in HB's 1848 LC ?

1848.jpg

good luck diggin Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions