Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with HB today for a hunt at a new site. When we first got on the land (1000 acres) it was overwhelming. I started looking at the geography after we struck out in the first spot, and crossed a drainage ditch in the soybean field. When HB and I made it up to the next flat, we got iron hits. :) HB immediately dug a large buckle that looks like very high quality pewter perhaps. The only other buckle like it that I have seen was one I dug at a 1700s site two years ago. The buckle is cast, and it is uneven and crude. If anyone has some information on this find please let us know.

Well, I then dug a nice hallmarked pewter spoon handle (W M(?) C o)--the "o" looks like a superscript. So things were looking up. We knew we were on an old site. :headbang:

Then a flat button came up, some musketballs, a thimble, and some other pieces of brass. HB then gave a big "Oh Boy!" and I knew he had a good one. When I came over I saw the Beautiful sight of Big Copper beside his dig hole.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then HB dug a Civil War era Eagle Button (unfortunately bent into an Eagle Taco by the plow). :-\ Then a few more bits. I was worried that I was getting skunked. The sun started going down, casting long shadows on the cut field. The targets were very thin, and there was hardly any big iron to dig--but what targets there were, were good ones. I was just wanting one more keeper or two... Then I got a choppy "blip blip" signal. I raised up my coil to swat away a piece of soybean stalk that was still clinging to the dirt overtop of the signal and the detector went off "BAM!" I realized that whatever I had was very shallow and was giving a double signal at close range. So I stuck my shovel in the dirt--and no sooner did I start to lift up the ground, then a Copper levitated itself up towards my finds pouch! :o

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

We dug a bit more, and HB got a nice little ball button complete with shank. Then we were met by the property owner in the field, had a chat with him, said goodbye and thanked him, and headed back to the truck.

Now this is my kind of Tailgate Party: ;D

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

MORE photos below: :)

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,

Nice work. Do you think you will be able to straighten out the taco, er, eagle button? ;D

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another great hunt, its always nice to get a nice variety like that and that's a nice half an arrowhead!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You must have found the spot where the gunsmith made field repairs.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Once again, very nice finds!! You've inspired me to hunt some fields, although I am a bit hesitent to leave the lawn. In fact , we're having a Dayton Diggers' group hunt at an old farm in OH tomorrow. 1871 county atlas suggests it may be fun. 8)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Mike in Berks said:
Thats a nice variety of finds you both found congrats :thumbsup:
Am i the only one that notices the letters carved in HB's 1848 LC ?

good luck diggin Mike

GREAT eye, Mike. I think I see a "T" and maybe an "E" as well.

Looks like that LC belonged to "Walter." :P

I don't know if the taco can be straightened without the shield popping out...any progress, HB?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike in Berks said:

good luck diggin Mike

I've been trying to figure out what it say's but can't make it out.
It does look like "Walter" but it's not, sorry PA guys.

BuckleBoy said:
KylePA said:
Mike in Berks said:

good luck diggin Mike

GREAT eye, Mike. I think I see a "T" and maybe an "E" as well.

Looks like that LC belonged to "Walter." :P

I don't know if the taco can be straightened without the shield popping out...any progress, HB?

The "taco" is what it is. Haven't tried to straighten it, sorry.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
collector01 said:
Congrats on another great hunt, its always nice to get a nice variety like that and that's a nice half an arrowhead!

What arrowhead?
Don't recall any arrowheads being found? :dontknow:

OBX Slumlord said:
I find that rubbing some charcoal (burnt cork) into the letter helps them stand out and makes it easier to read. Great finds.

Will have to try that. Thanks

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those sweet finds Buckles :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
The "taco" is what it is. Haven't tried to straighten it, sorry.

Probably wise. You have the rarest Eagle Button of any of us--the Goddard backmark one. So that's some consolation, I guess. Those shields pop out very easily, and that ain't no little dent.

-BB

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hill Billy if you can't read the letters with a loupe if it was me i'd leave it the
way it is it's a great find and the letters make it more special I just read your
state had civil war activity from 1862 - 1865 Beings you found an eagle button
and Buckle Boy found an enfield rifle piece I'm thinking maybe a soldier had a
little time on his hands and carved those initials :dontknow:
You both scored a copper and i'd call that a great day for both of you :thumbsup:

good luck diggin to both of you Mike

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
thats some great finds ya got there!!! gonna try that charcoal thing. congrats!! willy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good hunt by the IB and another good post BB. Iron Brigade has been having a great year for coins and relics.

Don

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
If only 2 out of 10 days of hunting down fur trade can be sooo productive as your days with HB ,great finds BUD :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Hardy, you do great work with the recovery of fur trade items. I just happened to get into a nice streak of coppers here recently. This one was #5 in 10 days for me alone. HB really had a nice hunt this time. I think the Eagle and the buckle are both great finds in addition to his nice LC.

Iron Patch said:
Great day! I'm not sure if Kirk will post at all now. :wink:

I believe your buckle dates with the other finds that are well into the 1800s.

Have you found a buckle made of similar material as this before, or are you basing your age determination on the style of the piece? Early 1800s or mid-century?

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Congratulations to the I.B. for such a bountiful hunt. Nice couple of coppers and it's always a winning day to find a coin with a year that you have'nt found yet. I'm really impressed with your identifying expertise. That exploded diagram of the rifle says it all. Makes me wonder about all the times I was stumped with what I can not identify. I'm glad to see that your research is paying dividends. :thumbsup:
Chris

That's why I post all, Chris. I figure even those lumps that I can't ID, someone will help. And either way, even if I ID them a year, or five years later, I still have a photo and can remember where and when I found the piece. That is really important, because I will be heading back to this site to see if I can find any more pieces from this rifle.

The research is going well this fall (although we had to wait an eternity for harvest...). I think this is due to working out my methods on one area, then realizing that there was a better area to direct my same focus and processes. Harvest is about 70 percent there now. So soon, everything will be open to us.

-Buck

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More great finds for HB and "The King of old homesites". Very nice coins and possibilities to locate more CW relics. The best part regarding this hunt is there are 999 more acres to go on the new site and you can bet there are other hot spots there. HH.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Another good hunt by the IB and another good post BB. Iron Brigade has been having a great year for coins and relics.

Don

It has been a good year, Don. Last year we were heavier on relics, and this year a bit heavier on coins. It's been a while since one of us dug a nice silver, so hopefully it is about time for another one to come our way.

VOL1266-X said:
More great finds for HB and "The King of old homesites". Very nice coins and possibilities to locate more CW relics. The best part regarding this hunt is there are 999 more acres to go on the new site and you can bet there are other hot spots there. HH.

We know of four other homesteads on the property, but we're waiting for the harvest to finish. The owner said that we could search for the one we were after this time, but to let them finish with the soybeans on the other sites first. I will drop back by and visit him in a few weeks.

And to the rest of you--thank you ALL for your kind replies.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread