IRON Brigade: SEATED HALF DOLLAR and a Complete MUSKET LOCK PLATE!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

Got up this morning and got a call from HB who was jonesin' for a hunt after his spur and eagle button on Wednesday. Took a look at the truck thermometer and figured it would be a nice day to dig a few holes. :P

00000.jpg

So we set out for the site, bringing the probe so we could open up the privy too. ;D

When we got there, we did some probing for the privy, and indeed hit glass. :) We opened up a hole and started finding busted up china and bits of glass. So the hole got wider....and deeper... (We'd already asked the owner if this was o.k. and gotten the go-ahead on the privy dig.) Here's a photo of DiggerGirl down in there:

DG.jpg

We took turns digging, and picked up our detectors and swung when we weren't working the privy. Here's HB gettin' it dug. ;D

HB.jpg

We soon figured out that we were in a burn pit--we dug down to clay and found only charred items, a brass spoon, a harmonica reed plate, and broken china and stoneware. Few bottles, and not much worth reconstructing. :-\ So we covered 'er in and kept detecting.

My very first signal of the day was a good one. It was an overload--so I knew it was big, or shallow, or both...so I cut a big plug. Well let me say that we dig so few silver coins out here that it takes a second for it to sink in when we find one. What I wasn't prepared for was the SIZE of this one coming out of the ground. I was thinking "Nah--it can't be" when I bent over to get a closer look:

Z 000.jpg

My first instinct was "Cut Spanish Silver!" as I looked at the find--and when HB asked what I found, I think I said something like just a CUT SPANISH COIN. As I looked at the coin more closely, I realized it said "Half Dollar" on it! :o It is an 1858-O Seated HALF!

Z 001a.jpg

Folks, it's been quite a few years since my last Seated Half find, and I am Thrilled.

We kept pounding the site, finding toe taps, organ reeds, harmonica parts, clock parts, and lantern tops. I dug a wierd, flattened/cut minieball closer to the cellar hole--all the while watching the Iron pile grow by the truck. (I know there's 40 lbs there from the hunt today.)

Then as darkness approaches, HB yells at me from across the site. I can see him holding up something in his hand--and I immediately knew what it was--a complete musket lock plate!

LockplateFront.jpg

Folks, I have never seen one of these dug before. I've dug pieces before, but no dice on a complete lock plate. The best part of this one is the condition--with some Slow electrolysis and a little luck, we might be able to read some markings.

Incredible hunt today, but I am Beat to Death. At least I can feel my fingers now. :tard:

So here is a shot of my finds for the day, along with HB's lock plate. If anyone can identify the model of gun this piece is from, please let us know. :thumbsup:

Z 100.jpg

The finds cleaned, and close-ups of some of the goodies:

ZZ1.jpg

ZZ3.jpg

ZZ2a.jpg

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to HB on this one. Good huntin' with you today, buddy. :thumbsup:

ZZ5.jpg

ZZ6.jpg

And that's part of the reason we dig all the Iron. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
All Liege made guns of the period have an ELG over a star in an oval stamped on them. I have been spending the evening checking every Civil War firearm catalog and book I can find, this is fun! I can still find nothing with the long hammer throw of this lock, which would indicate a nipple far forward of the lock, except the Gwyn and Campbell. Also all of the screw holes line up exactly. While the Belgian has a similar shaped plate, the hammer throw is much shorter, I will stick with my guess, but still just a guess. You may have to post on one of the Civil War gun forums for a definitive answer. Whatever it is it is a great find!

On the Gwyn and Campbell photo you shared, I count four screw holes--plus one up past the hammer at the larger end of the plate. On the dug one, I count only three screw holes on the tapered side of the plate. :icon_scratch:

I'd love to find a close up of the Belgian model. I don't see any markings on this plate. Where else might it be marked besides on the flat part of the plate? :icon_scratch:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that forth screwhole is the stud that the mainspring rests against, you can see it on the inside of the found lockplate in the same location. I posted on the NSSA forum, those folks really know there Civil War firearms. There has been only one response so far, I was waiting to see if there were any more. The one response said it looks like a Gwyn and Campbell #1 which is also called a Cosmopolitan #3 by Edwards. It looks like #1 G&C's were marked on the breech not the lock, but I may be wrong on that.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right Nova, even if we don't figure it out, look how much we have learned!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you're right--it has been a lot of fun trying to track this weapon down. I have looked at the plate a lot, and I see no markings--so it likely came from a gun that was marked on the breech. Spencers were, but I don't know if the screw hole placement is dead-on or not... Belgian .61cal's were marked on the lock plate... so that leaves G & C...

Anybody know what the issuing/dispersal of G & C's was during the war? Who had them, whether they were more widespread or not...

That might help me as well in narrowing it down.

But I look forward to seeing what folks say on the other forum. Feel free to post a link here when some replys get accumulated.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Sweet pieces of history back in to the light of day thanks to the Iron Brigade. Awesome job guys!!! :thumbsup:
Jerry

johnreb1980

Jan 7, 2008
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
I did find this on the Gwen and Campbell.

Gwyn and Campbell Carbine. .52 caliber, Type II. One of about 4000 made. Cavalry units that these were issued to include: the 2nd and 3rd Arkansas, the 5th 6th and 16th Illinois, the 2nd and 3rd Iowa, the 2nd 6th and 14th Kansas, the 10th 12th and 14th Kentucky, the 4th and 8th Missouri, the 5th and 8th Ohio, the 7th Tennessee, and the 3rd Wisconsin.

http://reunion.omnica.com/firearms.htm

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
BuckleBoy said:
daytondigger said:
Congrats, those are some mighty nice finds. I dig privies too, but always avoided country privies. Never seemed to find much in them, they always seemed to dig shallow pits and dump their glass elsewhere. Cincinnatti has provided me with lots of nice glass. Have you ever checked out privydigger.com? I dig with those guys sometimes. Do you have any luck in those country pits? A seated half sure beats a Franklin half. The cut is just another piece of history as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Steve

Steve, we haven't hunted enough country privies to make any evaluation of them. Although we try to make every find we can at a site (metal...glass...pottery), most of the housesites from this fall have been in plowed fields. But as we dig more of them, we'll find out more information. If country privies aren't working out, then we'll direct our time elsewhere. We already use several different sets criteria to select which housesites are the most promising and narrow our focus from the hundreds of possible sites.

Regards,

Buckleboy
I think you've got a good plan there. Dig everything and don't pass up on a good opportunuty. I seem to remember a very valuable fruit jar coming out of a country privy. The only seated half I've ever found came out of a privy as well as the only cannon ball I've found. You just never know what you'll dig. Also, keep your eyes out for flat top and cone top beer cans. If they're solid and show some paint, they'll often clean up with an oxcylic acid bath and can be quite collectable. Check out therustybunch.com :thumbsup: Keep on diggin!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daytondigger said:
I think you've got a good plan there. Dig everything and don't pass up on a good opportunuty. I seem to remember a very valuable fruit jar coming out of a country privy. The only seated half I've ever found came out of a privy as well as the only cannon ball I've found. You just never know what you'll dig. Also, keep your eyes out for flat top and cone top beer cans. If they're solid and show some paint, they'll often clean up with an oxcylic acid bath and can be quite collectable. Check out therustybunch.com :thumbsup: Keep on diggin!

The crock that I found and reconstructed--even though it was broken--sold at auction for the price range indicated in the link below. It came from the country. :wink:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,159914.0.html

-Buckles

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Get back out there and find the butt plate to that musket.
Nice finds
Newt

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
BuckleBoy said:
daytondigger said:

The crock that I found and reconstructed--even though it was broken--sold at auction for the price range indicated in the link below. It came from the country. :wink:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,159914.0.html
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. That was a nice one.

-Buckles

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is, what a year brother...what a year! :thumbsup:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been thinking the same thing..........Cut SPANISH 8 Reale! Then again, you don't find cut Seated halfs everyday! Great job finding some nice Relics...................... :thumbsup:

T

trish76642

One of these days BB, your gonna hit the mother load!
I hope im still around to see it!
Its gonna happen!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hats off to the Iron Brigade!

Nice seated! Cut or not.

That lockplate is great!

And hunting in 24 degrees, you may consider yourselves honorary Michiganders!
If we could lose the snow I'd be out all winter!

Best of Luck and Congrats!

Mark

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome finds man,

That cut half is something to be proud of. I'm still looking for a seated half here. I gun plate is a really cool relic also. Some electrolosis will make that look great. Good thing you do dig the iron.

HH Jer

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
Get back out there and find the butt plate to that musket.
Nice finds
Newt

Better call your buddy HB--he made some First Rate finds today!

Kiros32 said:
All I can say is, what a year brother...what a year! :thumbsup:

You ain't kiddin. But I don't think it's over yet. We've got a few more weeks of hunting left. :)

The Seeker said:
I would have been thinking the same thing..........Cut SPANISH 8 Reale! Then again, you don't find cut Seated halfs everyday! Great job finding some nice Relics...................... :thumbsup:

Any Seated Half is a good Seated Half.

Thanks for the kind reply. :)

~Trish~ said:
One of these days BB, your gonna hit the mother load!
I hope im still around to see it!
Its gonna happen!

I hope I'm around to see it too! It'd be fun to see the look on my face. :D

Best wishes to you, Trish. :thumbsup:

mpostma said:
Hats off to the Iron Brigade!

Nice seated! Cut or not.

That lockplate is great!

And hunting in 24 degrees, you may consider yourselves honorary Michiganders!
If we could lose the snow I'd be out all winter!

Best of Luck and Congrats!

Mark

It ain't that bad, is it? As long as ya dig enough holes to sweat a bit. I'd imagine Michiganders have to hunt in the snow, since otherwise the fall window would be two weeks long. :tard:

JerDfx said:
Awesome finds man,

That cut half is something to be proud of. I'm still looking for a seated half here. I gun plate is a really cool relic also. Some electrolosis will make that look great. Good thing you do dig the iron.

HH Jer

JerDfx, if you look hard enough, and you will find it--No matter what it is you're looking for. You just have to look in the best places you can.

Starting another all-day Electrolysis Marathon tomorrow. :)

And to any folks whose replies I didn't respond to yet--thank you all! Now get out there and Get Hunting. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Ahh, Buckles, we now have over 18 inches on the ground. Hard to walk in, let alone md! My problem is that my snowshoes are aluminum and magnesium, sets off the old minelab like a video game.
Further South they are getting some good hunting in 4 inches of snow or so. Up here, and in the upper peninsula, it is pretty tough to find a coil big enough to get through all that snow!

Cold doesn't bother me. If we get a thaw that gets the snow down a bit, without the ground having over a foot frozen I will be back out!

Good Luck.
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread